RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone Have RES+?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 10:49 AM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Have RES+?

Hi, All -

I saw a lot of discussion on another thread about third party smartphone remote starters, but I really didn't see anyone commenting who actually has the OEM RES+ starter installed.

If anyone out there has it, how well has it worked for you? I understand that the car shuts down when you open the door, and I have no problem with that, so no need to weigh in on that issue. What did your dealer charge to install it, and what is the annual fee? Also, once this remote starter is installed can it also be used in conjunction with the fob?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-16-13, 11:07 AM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

My apologies! Rookie mistake... I just found another thread that addresses most of my questions.

I'd still love to hear any comments from folks with the system, though. Particularly about what your installation costs were.

Thanks again. I promise to a better job of searching the forum next time before I ask a question.
Old 02-16-13, 01:52 PM
Doodah
10th Gear

We have two RX450h hybrids, both MY 2013. Had the dealer install the RES+ in both cars. We paid just over $1,000 each to have it installed ($599 for the RES+ and $423 to install it) but our dealer is known for charging list price for everything related to Lexus. We special ordered the cars with the factory RES, which is removed when installing the RES+, so in effect the RES+ cost another $400 due to the change-out as we didn't receive any credit for the older unit.

That being said, we like the RES+, both for being able to start the car from a far distance away, but also since it gives us the ability to lock/unlock the doors remotely (or verify the locking status), and directional assistance when trying to find where we parked the car in a crowded parking lot. Our standard key fob will still remotely start the car, but now we have another option.

Some have complained that it takes 25-30 seconds to connect with the car, and another 15 seconds or so to start it, but we don't find that amount of time to be unreasonable. In fact, many other 3rd party systems seem to take about as long, so the slow connect time doesn't appear to be a Lexus thing.
Old 02-17-13, 06:08 AM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for the input. I have friends with third-party systems that also report the same amount of lag time to connect, so I wasn't suprised to hear the same thing about RES+. Now I just have to find out what my dealer is going to charge for it... somehow I think I'll be lucky if it's only $1,000.
Old 02-17-13, 06:38 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure why you guys claimed 3rd party smart starter are laggy. I just installed latest Viper smart start v3.1 and every command I press, it takes less than 10 seconds. really quick. Am I in good signal area?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-18-13, 10:28 AM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

I just called my dealer to make the appointment to install the RES+. Much to my suprise I was told that they flat out do not install either of the OEM remotes. They don't like the RES because of the limited range, so they install Compustar remotes for fob-only use. For smartphone use they install a Viper system. The service rep didn't know why they've elected not to recommend or install the RES+, only that they aren't doing it.

I suppose it could have something to do with the climate up here in Alaska... I think I read on another thread that the OEM remotes weren't available in Canada either.
Old 02-18-13, 01:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Well, I'm fine with RES since figuring out that placing the fob next to metal (i.e. window frame) can increase the distance. I am able to start the RX before leaving work from five stories up and several hundred feet away. Might take a couple of tries moving the fob around. Only once did I have a problem. And I need all the help I can get. Hybrid, cold weather and short commute don't mix
Old 02-18-13, 02:07 PM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Hybrid, cold weather and short commute don't mix
I'll bet they don't!

Still think it's interesting that a Lexus dealer won't install an OEM Lexus product, but at least they install the Viper system at the dealership, which I prefer over taking it to a third-party shop. I thought it was odd that out of the 20-something RXs on the lot, not one of them came with an auto-start as a pre-installed option. Now I know why.
Old 02-18-13, 03:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by AKRX
Still think it's interesting that a Lexus dealer won't install an OEM Lexus product, but at least they install the Viper system at the dealership, which I prefer over taking it to a third-party shop. I thought it was odd that out of the 20-something RXs on the lot, not one of them came with an auto-start as a pre-installed option. Now I know why.
Possibly enough people complained about RES to the point your dealer doesn't want to install them anymore. I added it to my special order as a $375 option. Installation took place at port. Even with all the other third party options out there, I'd probably stick with the Lexus system because I'm worried about having issues.

What kind of warranty is the dealer giving you on the Viper system installation and product-wise? And are you sure they aren't bringing someone in the do it?
Old 02-18-13, 05:32 PM
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

I don't have the answer to either question yet, unfortunately. I'm out of town for the next couple of weeks, but plan to go by the dealership when I get back and grill them for more information before I make the final decision about getting it installed. The person I talked to on the phone didn't even know about the RES+ system, so it may just be a case of that particular service rep not having all the information. I'll report back when I get the full story.
Old 02-19-13, 02:46 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RES+ on 13RX350
I like it.... its not super fast for sure... but what cell phone function is...my guess is, the above poster with fast results has 4g coverage, while most of us still suffer with 3g.

I like the fact if the car alarms, it notifies your smart phone... the car find feature is a bit shaky...but gets you relatively close...but remember, none of this stuff works when when you are in a parking garage..not sure why, cause there is cell service in there. Maybe its part satelite? I thought it was all cell? anyway, nice user interface.... and, is covered by extended warranty if you buy Lexus. They do put some funky looking antennas on the top of the passenger side of the windshield...not a deal breaker, but a bit ugly...
Old 07-10-13, 08:17 PM
ScottJHawk
Driver School Candidate

Can anybody who has the RES+ installed comment (or post pictures) of what the antennas on the windshield look like? Are the distracting, ugly, noticeable??

Thanks
Old 07-11-13, 11:48 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i noticed I commented on this above, just shortly after it was installed, well, I spoke too soon...
I am requesting a full refund of the $999 price.... Lexus servers drop your information regularly, spent 10+ hours on phone with 800# always rectifying the problems...as usual, with Lexus, they are polite, promise a fix in a week or two, which as we all know, in Lexus talk, this equals a year or two. There is a few threads on this, which some members really detailed all the shortcomings, above and beyond my desire to "simply make it work"....
Product was not ready for market....Lexus waste too much on advertising, and way too little on perfecting their products, prob. a recent change in management philosophy, just a guess....
Old 01-30-14, 06:27 PM
Mich64km
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Res+ installed 6 weeks has only worked 2 of those weeks

We had the res+ appliance installed before Christmas, it worked for a week, then nothing but "Communication with the vehicle was interrupted. please try again later" error message when trying to log in. We took the car back to the dealer, after 2 days they got it working again but had no idea what they had done to get it working. One week later, same issue.

Dealership has told me that they don't know what to do but they,ll get back to me (it's been 2 weeks). We called lexus customer Care, and while promised we would get a return call within one business day, it's been two. We called today and was told our rep was in a meeting and would call back, but that was hours ago.

This is an immature product that Lexus is not prepared to support.

I want my money back.
Old 01-31-14, 07:03 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

In my experience with two different third party remote start companies, network congestion is a common problem. The companies grow too fast for their infrastructure. Not sure what Lexus' problem maybe. Your immature description maybe correct.

Quick Reply: Anyone Have RES+?