RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 10:11 AM
Beski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?

OK, I need some help from the Guys out there..........

I am a 48 year old Male and I currently have a 2007 Acura MDX and my Wife has a 2009 RX. I am getting ready to trade in my Acura and was considering:

* Another Acura MDX (Don't like the 2013 Colors, Don't like the new 2014 version coming out)
* Hyundai Santa Fe (Waiting to see the 6 Cyl version coming out soon)
* Jeep Grand Cherokee (Waiting for 2014 this summer with bigger Nav Screen)
* 2013 RX in Fire Agate Pearl with Saddle Interior - I really like the Brown and Black color combo.

We recently had my wife's Leuxs in for service and since they were over-booked they gave us a loaner for the night which was a 2013 Loaded RX - so you can't beat a 24 hour Test Drive without the Salesman in the back seat !! The car really won me over.

But I have recently heard some comments that the RX was really designed as a Woman's SUV and one of the Review sites (not sure which, maybe Edmunds or Motor Trend) said it's the perfect "Soccer Mom's Car !!" Then my wife just said the RX is not "Manly" enough for me (at least that's a compliment that she thinks I'm Manly !!)

Not that I should ever care what anybody thinks when I am the one paying for a $50k car, but just wanted to hear from the Guys out there driving the RX as their Primary Car. Please help convince me this is the "Manly SUV for Me" !!!

Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-14-13, 10:21 AM
aumate
Driver School Candidate

Does it really matter if it's a manly car or not? If, you like how it drives then that should all that matters.

I'm looking at picking up an RX F Sport soon and it'll be my primary car and wife will get the IS 250.
Old 02-14-13, 10:34 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thought so I end up getting the Fsport so at least it's got the aggressive look. With that said I am NOT driving it as primary due to the fact that baby is on it's way and RX will be easier for my wife to use than me, and i still prefer my IS350 as it's got more power (manly feeling).

I even think IS is more for female than male...
Old 02-14-13, 10:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

IMO the current gen RX is the least feminine looking of the group. And I'm not a mom nor do I play soccer It's getting old already. I wish they'd stop saying that. This very topic has been discussed a few times here. You can read through this thread and the other one I linked to in my post. Bottom line, the RX is no threat to manhood.
Old 02-14-13, 11:33 AM
dflowers
Driver School Candidate

Our 2013 RX 450h is our only car. My wife drives it most of the time as I commute to work and back either riding a bicycle or running. I never considered the car masculine or feminine. It's just a nice car. I really like the car. I guess if I want to feel manly I go ride one of my fast motorcycles. Whatever!
Old 02-14-13, 11:50 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

I do but I have to warn you, I started to carry a murse shortly after getting my RX. I understand that some men have resorted to attaching those plastic ******** to the rear bumper so their manhood would not be in question. I just had my windows tinted so no one would see me.
Old 02-14-13, 11:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I drive a first gen RX, the most feminine of them all apparently. I don't quite understand why, nor do I care to understand why.
Old 02-14-13, 01:30 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They tell you the car isnt meant for off-roading on their website, does it matter if it is FWD RWD or AWD?
Old 02-14-13, 01:53 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm 48 too, and the RX is MY car.

I never even heard of this RX is feminine thing until I joined this forum and I think its kinda stupid to be honest. If it looks good, it looks good and I think women can appreciate a good looking SUV, sports car, convertible, or other just as much as a man. I've heard mini-vans being described as feminine too, but I think that goes to my next point...

I think women (at least when it comes to vehicles ) have a general tendency to appreciate ones that are more versatile. The RX looks great, and is generally more versatile than a sedan, sports car, or pickup truck. That's exactly why I like it so much too, and I've never been one to get hung up on opinions of sheep.

What to I say to people that say the RX is feminine? Ba-a-a-ahhhh

To me, manly is a 10 yr old Ford 4x4 Pickup with 3 foot high tires and a super-charger popping out of the hood, now that's manly, but versatile, Nope.

And to me, feminine is any car painted pink or weird stuff accessorizing the interior!
Old 02-14-13, 02:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's 'MY' car. I like the room, performance, looks, features and on occasion it talks back to me . I haul my friends, take trips, haul my Segway or anything else I like. What's not to like about it anyway ??? None of my guy friends have walked because they thought it too feminine to ride in. Some asked to drive it so they could see how much 'they' liked it. Ladies like to fiddle with the passenger adjustments.

If any potential passenger thinks it too feminine, they can just hike, no problem here .
Old 02-14-13, 04:02 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been leasing them since April 1998. On my 7th one, and it is the perfect vehicle for sales. I hate reaching down into a trunk. The rear of the Rx is the perfect height for lifting stuff in and out. Having a black one with a trailer hitch feels the most masculine. I've given into my wife a couple of times and leased white and it does look beautiful, but that's not the look I'm going for. There is no other car that leases as well. I still have the same payment as I did in 1998 and I never put any money down and wrap taxes into the lease.
Old 02-14-13, 05:27 PM
RX808
Driver School Candidate

Its my near daily driver. Switch off between that and a camry hybrid.
Old 02-14-13, 06:12 PM
ramaka02
Driver School Candidate

RX is my primary vehicle, 35 year old here...don't care what others think, since I make the payments and love every minute driving it...

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 02-14-13, 06:35 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

31 male here. 80 miles daily driver to commute. I don't even have my wallet any more (Key, wallet, phone were always with me). I'm carrying a "purse" now (Purse and key). Call me whatever you like

Old 02-14-13, 06:50 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Gave my Nissan Frontier Pickup to the daughter, traded the LS460 for the RX350 as my daily driver and like it. Salesperson questioned me if I knew what I was doing? as the RX was going to be a different vehicle from the several LS I had owned. I had driven several RX loaners over the years and was not surprised by the new RX with 19" wheels.. I now have a dark blue 2013 RX350 with Saddle interior and prefer it to the F Sport that I checked out. Good Luck...

Quick Reply: Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?