RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?

Old 02-18-13, 04:27 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a guy and 22 years old. My RX is my daily driver. I take it everywhere. In the last 10 months ive added over 30k miles. TBH my RX is the nicest looking car in the parking lot at school. When i first got it i would mainly see females driving ti but now i see a lot of men driving it too. I could careless who drive it more. No one has made fun of me or my ride. When others ask what i drive and I say a Lexus RX350 lots of ppl seem to get excited, i dont know why.
Old 02-18-13, 09:07 PM
sir1900
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimthe1st
Because RWD is thought to be more "manly"..??
In my neck of the woods, it won't be very manly on RWD after a snowstorm.
Old 02-19-13, 01:45 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Beski ... nothing we are going to say is going to help you if your wife thinks the car is not up to her manly expectations for you ... ... relent to her line of thought and just get a Porsche Cayenne. No, scratch that ... the new Corvette Stingray. You both will feel better for it. Seriously, I think the problem is more in your wife's view of HER image in the RX. Nothing wrong with that ... you need to decide if you want to tread on that important area of her identity. I originally purchased the RX for my wife, but after driving the car once she hurt her back that first week (not related to the car). The injury was serious enough that I realized the RX was not going to work for her and went down and bought her a car that was easier for her to use (she is short and climbing in and out of the RX didn't make sense with back pain). I took over the RX. I've enjoyed driving it. It is gender neutral in terms of ownership. People really like the car. You see more women driving the RX because they need the utilitarian car in many families. None of the other cars on your list are going to be any different than the RX in terms of the gender equation.
Old 02-19-13, 09:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

God, what did we all do, how did our fathers, and their fathers, survive prior to the 70's arrival of FWD.
Those that stayed home survived just fine. Sitting in a ditch with no cell phone is no fun by any means.

My DDs have been RWDs for most of the time. When the weather gets bad, I take the RX instead. There's nothing manly in putting oneself into unnecessary danger.

However, I would so much prefer to have RWD-based AWD vehicle. It would be the best of both worlds, especially if it was manual.
Old 02-19-13, 12:43 PM
Bayman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a 27 year old male and the RX is my daily driver. It may not be considered "manly" by some, but it certainly is the smartest choice. JD Power just ranked it as the most reliable vehicle model period.
Old 02-21-13, 10:29 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

RWD-based AWD vehicle..manual: CAYENNE.
Intresting, I didn't think Prosche made a manual Cayenne.
Old 02-21-13, 10:47 AM
MartysRX
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased my 2010 RX-350 and think its awesome! I don't care what anyone else thinks! It was rated the #1 most reliable luxury SUV on the planet and I really love this car. Therefore, who cares! If you like the car, Buy It! That's what I say.
BTW, I am a 50 yr old guy who is all man driving an RX every day!
Have fun with your new RX,
Ed
Old 02-21-13, 11:15 AM
CSSLDR
Driver School Candidate

I live in the NY tristate area. With all the traffic, where am I going fast? I might as well be comfortable.
I'll be getting a RX very soon.
Old 02-21-13, 12:22 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

I do drive the RX Fsport when we go out to the park with my kids but my wife drives it 90% of the time. I think the Fsport is manly enough for us men.
Old 02-21-13, 12:38 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm the primary driver, as my wife doesn't like to drive. When we first started looking for a SUV for retirement travel we looked at everything on the market. We previously had a Lexus sedan, but made sure we checked out every brand of SUV's, and both of us agreed no other brand compares for everything we wanted. We both ended up wanting a hybrid which made our choice even easier. It's a great looking car, and while my wife looks good all the time, I probably look better in our Rx than out of it, so am happy to be the primary driver.
Old 02-21-13, 01:33 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by go3Ds
...and while my wife looks good all the time, I probably look better in our Rx than out of it, so am happy to be the primary driver.
Spoken like smart man, who's been happily married for a long time.
Old 03-02-13, 11:12 AM
SillyGuy
Driver School Candidate

it's my daily car....and i'm a 34 year old man.

and i look like an asian thug. ahah
Old 03-02-13, 03:01 PM
Plumlaker
Driver School Candidate

I am a single guy that has driven an RX as my ONLY car since they first came out in 1998 Even if it was considered a "soccer Mom" car by some I wouldn't care. Unsurpassed ride, luxury inside and out, plenty of gadgets,reliability,style...to name a few.That's the reason Consumer Reports just gave the Lexus line the #1 ranking recently. That trumps any misguided impressions by some for me.

Last edited by Plumlaker; 03-02-13 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-02-13, 04:26 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive mine every day to school and the best thing is it's red, super feminine, but who really cares. If you like the car, buy it. Worst case scenario you'll get teased buy your friends for couple of weeks and thats it...
Old 03-04-13, 02:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beski
OK, I need some help from the Guys out there..........

I am a 48 year old Male and I currently have a 2007 Acura MDX and my Wife has a 2009 RX. I am getting ready to trade in my Acura and was considering:

* Another Acura MDX (Don't like the 2013 Colors, Don't like the new 2014 version coming out)
* Hyundai Santa Fe (Waiting to see the 6 Cyl version coming out soon)
* Jeep Grand Cherokee (Waiting for 2014 this summer with bigger Nav Screen)
* 2013 RX in Fire Agate Pearl with Saddle Interior - I really like the Brown and Black color combo.

We recently had my wife's Leuxs in for service and since they were over-booked they gave us a loaner for the night which was a 2013 Loaded RX - so you can't beat a 24 hour Test Drive without the Salesman in the back seat !! The car really won me over.

But I have recently heard some comments that the RX was really designed as a Woman's SUV and one of the Review sites (not sure which, maybe Edmunds or Motor Trend) said it's the perfect "Soccer Mom's Car !!" Then my wife just said the RX is not "Manly" enough for me (at least that's a compliment that she thinks I'm Manly !!)

Not that I should ever care what anybody thinks when I am the one paying for a $50k car, but just wanted to hear from the Guys out there driving the RX as their Primary Car. Please help convince me this is the "Manly SUV for Me" !!!

Thanks,
Tom
I've had three RX's, no one has ever told me that it is a woman's car. I'm a retired Marine Col, guess they never had the nerve!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any "Guys" Driving the RX as their Primary Car ?