RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 08:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
LOL.

I have tried to defend Lexus AWD system against posters that says that Acura SH-AWD and BMW X-drive is better.

Well I just discovered that i was wrong and that Lexus AWD system is not in the same league as Acura nor BMW.

This two videos explain why Lexus have very limited snow/ice capabilities to those two automakers.

Crap I thought that Lexus AWD was more advanced.

These two videos tells it all.

The Lexus does handle like crap compared to an Acura in slippery conditions and it has nothing to do with tires or drive type(FWD/RWD)unfortunately.

According to the video#2 BMW uses the same type of AWD system as Acura.

Acura SH-AWD traction test: MDX vs. RX350 - YouTube

How SH-AWD works: Acura's AWD system explained - YouTube
if they would have turned off the vsc. there would have been a totally different outcome.
Old 02-12-16, 08:41 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
if they would have turned off the vsc. there would have been a totally different outcome.
The center diff would have overheated and it would have limped into the FWD mode.
If anything, you want to apply brakes to transfer some torque over from the spinning wheels to the one with traction. I will tell you, it doesn't work in extreme situations, such as digging out of sand.
Old 02-12-16, 01:31 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

To the RX defense it would have made it up the roller if the testers would have disabled the traction control(VDIM or not) so that the RX would have enough power to pull the ramp.

So the RX could possibly pull the ramp, just not as effortlessly(safely) as the MDX.
Everything else looks like it's been answered

The issues is more about left/right torque distribution as opposed to front/back. Even with VSC turned off, either one wheel in the front will spin or one wheel in the back will spin.

The 4RX is supposed to fix this with brake-based limited-slip, which is still not as good as a mechanical system. Not sure if the 3RX VDIM does this.

450h is a different beast with the E-Four system. Who knows how that works!

If only someone would put their VDIM models on the hill test we would know for sure!
Old 02-14-16, 06:09 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I would love to see an RXh in that test, as I have been amazed at how well my '13 AWDh handles slippery inclines with near-absent wheel spin - irrespective of over-throttle input by me.

LEXUS RX450h in snow - YouTube

Lexus ATC vs. Audi Quattro vs. Acura SH-AWD - YouTube

2010 Lexus RX450h AWD in Snow - YouTube

Driving Lexus RX 450h F-Sport on Snow ! - YouTube

Lexus 450h off road snow - YouTube

And just for fun:

HD First Drive Review - 2016 Lexus RX450h AWD F Sport - Will It Drift? - YouTube
I bet it would handle just fine.

All these videos are with the RX in snow which most FWD can manage with snow tires.

The RX only failed tests that put it on no traction surfaces like pure ice or rollers which gives one side of tires/axles no traction at all which most people will not encounter often unless they live somewhere that need snow chains anyway in the winter.

Plus, in the real world a person would turn off the traction control to get up a slippery slope in the RX if needed unlike the tests.

The Acura test was just showing off that the SH-AWD system can be used with the traction control turned on.

Nice system though, but the RX AWD works just fine for my light winters in the South.
Old 02-16-16, 11:26 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

The RX only failed tests that put it on no traction surfaces like pure ice or rollers which gives one side of tires/axles no traction at all which most people will not encounter often unless they live somewhere that need snow chains anyway in the winter.
There are actually several threads from disappointed RX owners who, like myself, beached their car in the snow due to the lack of side-to-side torque distribution. Not a fun surprise to have when you're in the snow with the false pretense of an advanced AWD system. Oops, let's hope F-Sport fixes that...
Old 02-16-16, 12:57 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Have not read all 6 pages of this thread, but I hope they put the same tires on all the cars for comparison sake.
Old 02-16-16, 05:11 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
There are actually several threads from disappointed RX owners who, like myself, beached their car in the snow due to the lack of side-to-side torque distribution. Not a fun surprise to have when you're in the snow with the false pretense of an advanced AWD system. Oops, let's hope F-Sport fixes that...
Sorry to hear that you actually got stuck in the snow with your RX.

It does seem like the RX with its low ground clearance(7.3in) and simple AWD system is better in areas that do not get much snow/ice like in my area or Texas.

The RX (350 at least)is not really a rugged or sporty SUV at all, however it is nice to drive on normal roads.

Hence why my wife likes to drive it, and myself on long trips.

If I lived in an area that gets real snow accumulation yearly then I would not have bought the RX in all honestly.

Every SUV/crossover has its advantage or strong point, apparently off-road/limited traction use is not one of the RX advantages.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-16-16 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-16-16, 05:34 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reiterating, never had a huge problem with fwd and snow tires so the RX with awd, snow tires and VDIM make snow/slush easy. Don't over think just drive, it'll be fine lol.
Old 02-17-16, 07:41 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The center diff would have overheated and it would have limped into the FWD mode.
If anything, you want to apply brakes to transfer some torque over from the spinning wheels to the one with traction. I will tell you, it doesn't work in extreme situations, such as digging out of sand.
what? where do you get that information from?
Old 02-17-16, 11:27 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

what? where do you get that information from?
I've read about it in an off-road test by an auto publication. The AWD system is identical to RAV4.
Here's the best description I found:
http://rav4world.com/pdf/2006/2006_4wdsystem.pdf
7. Fail-safe
When there is a possibility of causing damage to the drive system due to a malfunction in the 4WD system or rough driving, the system illuminates or blinks the 4WD warning light to inform the driver, stops the 4WD controls, and enables the vehicle to operate in the front-wheel-drive mode.
Old 02-19-16, 07:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I've read about it in an off-road test by an auto publication. The AWD system is identical to RAV4.
Here's the best description I found:
http://rav4world.com/pdf/2006/2006_4wdsystem.pdf

but our rx 350 has what they call all weather drive. not sure it is the exact same system as the rav 4. the rav 4 seems to indicate a 4wd system.
Old 02-19-16, 07:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

but our rx 350 has what they call all weather drive. not sure it is the exact same system as the rav 4. the rav 4 seems to indicate a 4wd system.
It's just marketing terms being thrown around. Rav 4 is not a 4x4 either, which usually implies a transfer case.
Old 02-22-16, 11:30 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

The more I read into this, the more I realize the simple truth - RX350 does not have a center differential. Active Torque Control means the rear wheels get engaged and disengaged by an electric coupling. And they have to stay disengaged most of the time as it can't compensate for the front and rear wheels rotating at different speeds. In other words, it works like a clutch in a manual car. It can take some slip, but will overheat rather quickly if it has to.
Old 03-13-16, 12:58 AM
33pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol at the rx with SNOW CHAINS going through snow. Lexus needs to build a better awd system. Subaru builds it's car's around the AWD system and has very good software programming that is why most car's here in Alaska are Subaru's - they perform flawlessly in dangerous snowy conditions, uphills, you name it.

The current RX is not on the same level as Subaru, Audi, BMW's Xdrive, Lexus step your game up. I think Lexus is getting rid of the GX and going with a 7 seat RX - hopefully that one will get a redesigned AWD system with a Torsen Center Diff. Otherwise will have to buy a Subaru or go with 4runner limited, gx, or lx.
Old 03-14-16, 06:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 33pilot
lol at the rx with SNOW CHAINS going through snow. Lexus needs to build a better awd system. Subaru builds it's car's around the AWD system and has very good software programming that is why most car's here in Alaska are Subaru's - they perform flawlessly in dangerous snowy conditions, uphills, you name it.

The current RX is not on the same level as Subaru, Audi, BMW's Xdrive, Lexus step your game up. I think Lexus is getting rid of the GX and going with a 7 seat RX - hopefully that one will get a redesigned AWD system with a Torsen Center Diff. Otherwise will have to buy a Subaru or go with 4runner limited, gx, or lx.
Wrong architecture, my friend. Not going to happen. RX has no place in Alaska.

We already know the 7-seat RX was a failure from the start, which all of competitors realized was a must. Now, 4RX has all the futuristic designs few of the old-timers buying a Lexus desire. Have they even looked at their demographics? Lexus is as confused as ever.

I need a 7-seater and I'm eyeing either a 4Runner Limited or an Audi Q7. Can't help myself wanting a full time AWD system with RWD bias. RX is getting a bit boring, especially having an amazing AWD sedan in my garage as well.

Quick Reply: Disapointed by RX350 AWD Snow Capability