RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

'11 - Voice command list for 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 11:23 AM
deilenberg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '11 - Voice command list for 2011?

Just back from the driveway, sitting in the RX playing with the voice commands as listed in the big thick navigation manual.. My manual has a copyright date of 2010, but the front says it's for the 2011 models.

Problem I'm running into - quite a few of the listed voice commands simply don't seen to work. I'm getting a lot of "Pardon?".. And sometimes it recognizes one command and does something entirely different. I even tried the exact "Natural Speech" examples, and just got rampant confusion..

Does anyone know of an up to date list of the voice commands?

TIA!
Don Eilenberger
Old 02-10-13, 11:32 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's kind of like getting to know 'how to best talk' to your spouse. If you orate with some volume, clearly and distinctly (w/o excessive accent) and toward the mike (up above the mirror) it should work fine. And you can't rapid fire words. Just remember it's not human but good if you use it correctly.
Originally Posted by deilenberg
Just back from the driveway, sitting in the RX playing with the voice commands as listed in the big thick navigation manual.. My manual has a copyright date of 2010, but the front says it's for the 2011 models.

Problem I'm running into - quite a few of the listed voice commands simply don't seen to work. I'm getting a lot of "Pardon?".. And sometimes it recognizes one command and does something entirely different. I even tried the exact "Natural Speech" examples, and just got rampant confusion..

Does anyone know of an up to date list of the voice commands?

TIA!
Don Eilenberger
Old 02-10-13, 12:10 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Jim, thanks for the response..

I've tried different speech patterns.. still doesn't know "How about Detroit, Michigan?" which is an exact example from the book. At various times it switched to phone, replied with a sarcastic sounding "Pardon me?"..

What also isn't at all clear, it seems some commands you have to be in the mode (destination,/nav, audio, climate control/ etc) before it will recognize commands related to the mode. Other commands not so much.

Also a bit frustrating is it's insistence on always returning to a map screen. There are times where I'd prefer the audio mode (say USB, or iPod) remain on the screen. IMHO - while it doesn't have voice recognition, my Porsche system is more user friendly. It will remain on whatever mode you select (and you select the modes with bottons, it doesn't require going to a menu to get to some of the modes.) I looked for a setting where you could tell it to not always return to the map screen - didn't find one. Perhaps it's under user customization by the dealer? Have to look at that printout.

Don (who is attempting to acclimate himself to the Lexus way of thinking..)
Old 02-10-13, 12:50 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the setting you may be looking for to keep the display from returning to the map is in the setup settings.

Stop the car, put it in park, go the the Setup Menu, General Settings, Auto Screen Change.....set it off. The display will stop reverting to the map.

The voice commands are the same for the '10, '11 and '12 model years...sorry that's probably the bad news

Old 02-10-13, 01:39 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

David - thanks MUCH! I seem to recall it didn't do this before I screwed around with some setting or another.. Now if I can figure out how to turn the compass in the rear-view mirror back on...