RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What I think of my RX after 2 years

Old 02-09-13, 02:09 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What I think of my RX after 2 years

Likes: HUD, Dynamic Cruise, Park Assist, Driving Comfort, Color (Stargazer Black), Interior Ergonomics, & Exterior Shape, SAT radio.

Dislikes: Technology/Navigation/Voice Control, Gray Interior (Black next time), Camera under mirror on passenger side, Gas Mileage (AWD), No Sunglass Holder (Why does the SOS need to reside here?), Auto Wipers that swipe when no rain, remote start (why does it turn off when the door is opened?), the digital clock - looks cheap for a vehicle in this price range, ventilated seats should be cooled not just air circulating, Black floor mats in a gray interior - you can see all the black fibers on the gray (I changed these to black weather plastic mats), fragile paint (chips easy), maintenance not included for 3 years like other luxury makers (BMW).

Overall I would say this is a good vehicle - it has been very reliable. The technology in this vehicle however is horrible. I hope that the newer system is better but from what I have seen its more of the same and why didn't they make the navigation upgradeable like Ford? The cost of upgrading your maps is nuts. This should be included in your Enform. I didn't use the enform as much as I would have thought upon renewal I will just be going with SOS. I currently have an issue with the navigation that it won't respond to the "audio" voice command. It says that command is not available in this mode WTF its listed as a command in the list. I also on occasion get "silent" navigation - no guided directions in Navi mode and the occasional double beep when trying to use voice commands very irritating when driving and trying to use the Navi since most manual inputs are grayed out (there should be a sensor that knows when you have a passenger and they can use the Navi). Side mirror camera/back up camera why can't there be a split screen with both views at the same time? you normally use this mode when parallel parking. I like Lexus but may consider a new brand next time just because of the technology.
Old 02-09-13, 02:25 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have.
Old 02-09-13, 03:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

What other vehicles have you owned and what might you consider next?
Old 02-10-13, 02:08 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should consider the Infiniti JX 35. mine is moonlight white with java quilted leather interior and every option. its got much better tech than lexus. the safety shield alone will impress you. it will literally stop the car in forward or reverse with no input by you if it detects a car or object moving or otherwise in your path if you dont take action yourself. watch the videos of it in action on youtube. this thing is awesome.
Old 02-10-13, 06:00 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Daryl : Toyota is always at least a "generation" behind practically everyone else. I guess that's the price we pay for reliability.

OneOfOne : I sat in a new JX at the Philly Auto Show and was duly impressed. I wish they made a two-row version. It's just too big for me.
Old 02-10-13, 11:25 PM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the navigation audio command "not available" message, I find that I have to accept the warning message that appears before it will work. Pressing the map button twice also clears the message and makes voice control work.
Old 02-11-13, 06:57 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Navi on RX13 to Navie on 06IS is about the same, simple, easy to use, which means they didn't change much for 7 years.

What i do like is the BSM feature... man, last week i twisted my neck and having the BSM to check for blind spot was definitely helpful. Without that i pretty much cannnot drive....
Old 02-11-13, 09:15 PM
DarylS2001
Rookie

I have owned many vehicles. Before the RX I had a 2008 IS350. I would consider Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Acura.
Old 02-12-13, 06:52 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I really dislike is the Sat Radio. The sound is very disappointing for the money I paid for the vehicle. And don't even get me started on how it is unable to read folders on a USB stick. Other then that I'm quite pleased.
Old 02-12-13, 12:06 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

How old are you? Maybe it's my age, but I picked up the nav/infotainment on my 2010 RX pretty much instantly. I have little trouble using the voice commands and backing the truck up and parallel parking....well, I knew how to do that before backup cameras and side cameras. If anything, I find the curb camera pretty useless. The reverse camera is great because it's fisheye, so I can see around SUVs parked around me. I don't even use the reverse camera for parallel parking until I'm in the spot, and to get close to the curb, I use the automatic mirror tilt down.
Old 02-12-13, 12:34 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexB
For the navigation audio command "not available" message, I find that I have to accept the warning message that appears before it will work. Pressing the map button twice also clears the message and makes voice control work.
Ha, yea. I laughed when I finally figured that out why the voice commands would not work.

Let me get this straight, I can't use a voice command while driving, because it is assumed to be a safer way to interact with the system while driving instead of looking at the screen, until I read a big warning notice on the screen, while driving.

Thanks for the tip about pressing the button twice though, I did not realize that...
Old 02-12-13, 12:48 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by TomT127
The only thing I really dislike is the Sat Radio. The sound is very disappointing for the money I paid for the vehicle. And don't even get me started on how it is unable to read folders on a USB stick. Other then that I'm quite pleased.
The Sat radio really does stink, doesn't it. And I'm still a bit dumbfounded actually just how ultra-ordinary the sound system is in general. This is my 1st Lexus after 10 yrs being a Toyota guy, and I certainly did not buy an RX looking for better sound, but it certainly is my biggest, actually my only disappointment. My RX has the somewhat upgraded 12 speaker non-ML system, but the stock system in my 07 Camry had better sound, and even my ordinary 04 Sienna is probably just as good.
Old 02-12-13, 06:21 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylS2001
Likes: HUD, Dynamic Cruise, Park Assist, Driving Comfort, Color (Stargazer Black), Interior Ergonomics, & Exterior Shape, SAT radio.

Dislikes: Technology/Navigation/Voice Control, Gray Interior (Black next time), Camera under mirror on passenger side, Gas Mileage (AWD), No Sunglass Holder (Why does the SOS need to reside here?), Auto Wipers that swipe when no rain, remote start (why does it turn off when the door is opened?), the digital clock - looks cheap for a vehicle in this price range, ventilated seats should be cooled not just air circulating, Black floor mats in a gray interior - you can see all the black fibers on the gray (I changed these to black weather plastic mats), fragile paint (chips easy), maintenance not included for 3 years like other luxury makers (BMW).

Overall I would say this is a good vehicle - it has been very reliable. The technology in this vehicle however is horrible. ....
What about windshield wipers stopping in the middle of the windshield if you turn ignition off-even in cheaper vehicles wipers would complete the cycle.
Climate control: has "pre-set" modes, so I can't have the air going to the face and windshield at the same time ...
BUT all those thinng that we want in a vehicle usually require "extra" sensors, chips ,etc.-so a "more complicated" vehicle is more prone to troubles.

For example: Volvo XC90 had sensors on window motors and the sunroof detecting position of the glass-if you opened the window and put AC ON in hot weather, AC would not try to compensate for opened window(s). Some owners had troubles when a window would not close, or would open w/o pressing the switch.
Sometimes we have to trade convinience for reliability...

PS
I did like the heated windshield in my LR, but at the same time it had "glare" from oncoming traffic when driving at night-so I am now happy w/o heated windshield and w/o the glare...
Old 02-14-13, 12:51 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Audi vs. Lexus

Originally Posted by DarylS2001
I have owned many vehicles. Before the RX I had a 2008 IS350. I would consider Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Acura.
We did in fact get a 2012 Q 5 Audi and traded in our RX 2009. Took a little time to get acustomed to the Q 5 but both vehicles have there good things. Drove an Audi A 6 yesterday and maybe our days with a SUV might come to an end. The A 6 and the GS will be considered when we are ready for a new vehicle.
Old 02-18-13, 02:42 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimthe1st
As a thief prevention measure ALL remote start systems (should) kill the engine as the driver's door is opened. Otherwise a watchful bystander could simply get in your pre-started car and drive away.....
yes, that 's why it is designed by the engineers to operate like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What I think of my RX after 2 years