RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-12, 09:42 AM
Herride
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

My dealer gives this with all new vechiles,but you have to follow the manufacturer's Recommended Maintenance as referred to in the owner's manual. what you all think? I got it anyway now.
Old 12-24-12, 08:38 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Herride
My dealer gives this with all new vechiles,but you have to follow the manufacturer's Recommended Maintenance as referred to in the owner's manual. what you all think? I got it anyway now.
Seems like one more way to bring the customer to the dealership for routine services.
Would it matter if you do the regular maintenance not in the dealership?
Factory warranty on powertrain is 6 years/70K miles.
If you (original owner) do not sell the vehicle, do not total it during the 6 years, the dealer will make up enough money on the services to cover possible repairs.
ALso, what exactly is "included" in definition of powertrain: engine+transmission only?

engine and tranmission computer modules? TB?
Old 12-25-12, 09:08 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
Seems like one more way to bring the customer to the dealership for routine services.
Would it matter if you do the regular maintenance not in the dealership?
Factory warranty on powertrain is 6 years/70K miles.
If you (original owner) do not sell the vehicle, do not total it during the 6 years, the dealer will make up enough money on the services to cover possible repairs.
ALso, what exactly is "included" in definition of powertrain: engine+transmission only?

engine and tranmission computer modules? TB?
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...VehComp_Engine

Only Engine & Transmission parts are covered.
For the OP, if you decide to take up on the offer, make sure you have it in writing.
Old 12-26-12, 07:28 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what the question is here. If you plan on keeping the car, you would want to follow the regularly scheduled maintenance program anyway, right? You don't have to have it done at the dealership, unless that is a requirement to get the lifetime warranty. But barring that, this offer is a no-brainer. Keep the car well maintained (something you would want to do anyway) and you get a lifetime warranty on the drive train. What is there to lose??
Old 12-26-12, 07:46 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MDames2
I'm not sure what the question is here. If you plan on keeping the car, you would want to follow the regularly scheduled maintenance program anyway, right? You don't have to have it done at the dealership, unless that is a requirement to get the lifetime warranty. But barring that, this offer is a no-brainer. Keep the car well maintained (something you would want to do anyway) and you get a lifetime warranty on the drive train. What is there to lose??
My question was if OP has to do all the maintenance at the delaership where he bought his RX, in order to get the "lifetime" warranty. Or can he go to an independent shop and still get the warranty....
Old 12-26-12, 07:52 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MDames2
I believe the scheduled maintenance is done by the dealer. That's the requirement.
Old 12-27-12, 06:13 AM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I believe the scheduled maintenance is done by the dealer. That's the requirement.
I would be surprised if it was not so...Otherwise dealer has no insentive to "give" the warranty.
Old 12-27-12, 07:41 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, without more clarity from the OP we can't know if it's required to have it serviced at that particular dealership. However, I can see an incentive to the dealer by offering this without having to get it done by them. If you can get a car at two dealerships for roughly the same price, and one offers you a lifetime power train warranty and the other doesn't, which one will get your business? That differentiates this dealer from the others, and gives them a competitive advantage. Also, most people don't keep their vehicles long enough to use such a warranty (beyond the factory 7yr powertrain warranty). Consequently, there is probably very little actual exposure for the dealer.
Old 12-27-12, 07:46 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

For a Dealer to offer this "but you have to follow the manufacturer's Recommended Maintenance as referred to in the owner's manual." to an original owner to sell a car it's a pretty safe bet for the Dealer. Yes, it's possible he may have to honor a claim or two but seriously, how many people will keep a car forever and have it serviced 'by the book' and missing nothing that could invalidate the warranty. Chances are greater the buyer will return inside the warranty period to trade up. Win for the Dealer. And if the wording above is correct, than the owner only has to do what's specified in the manual as per the owners driving conditions. Would not include the 'fluff' for profit dealer prescribed services .

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-27-12 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling