RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 Question - DVD in motion related

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 10:46 AM
EdwardK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 Question - DVD in motion related

In stock form with no modifications - I can watch DVD's in my 2013 RX with the navi/premium package...(which includes a single slot in-dash CD/DVD player)

When I take off the parking brake, the movie screen disappears back to the navigation map.

However - if i push the parking brake down 1 click- (which doesn't engage any friction on the brakes) DVD in motion is possible...forwards and backwards.

I'd be content with this, though I haven't tried it on a long term trip. Why are some potential drawbacks of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

**EDIT** Just tried this on a short trip to the gas station and when the parking brake alarm comes on it also causes the movie screen to disappear. This method wont' work.

Last edited by EdwardK; 12-11-12 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 10:52 AM
CoastalRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EdwardK
In stock form with no modifications - I can watch DVD's in my 2013 RX with the navi/premium package...(which includes a single slot in-dash CD/DVD player.

When I take off the parking brake, the screen disappears back to the navigation map.

However - if i push the parking brake down 1 click- (which doesn't engage any friction on the brakes) DVD in motion is possible...forwards and backwards.

I'd be content with this, though I haven't tried it on a long term trip. Why are some potential drawbacks of doing this?
Thanks in advance.
Even if you are not watching it, if it is determined that it was on during an accident, you might wish you never figured out how to do it. After saying that, I wish I could do it. It would totally drive my wife nuts!
Old 12-11-12, 12:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ed, you're not alone in wishing big brother didn't have so much control over our lives. That being said, I'm glad some of it is there. Recently a friend of mine was hurt pretty bad when their car was broadsided by someone texting or otherwise distracted. A driver watching a movie while driving is 'at least' as distracted as texting and that fact can not be argued with any credibility.

You can buy a kit that will allow you to do just that. But..... if you did, and were involved in an accident and it was proven you were willingly distracted such as texting or watching a DVD, do you really think your insurance company would keep you after that? They might not even pay the claim (your car and medical) if you were found at fault for such. There is enough info in the car now to make 100% concentration on the road a sizable chore. Some say way too much. I've tried to cut back on the features I use while driving. Just sayin .......
Old 12-17-12, 11:55 AM
EdwardK
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Ed, you're not alone in wishing big brother didn't have so much control over our lives. That being said, I'm glad some of it is there. Recently a friend of mine was hurt pretty bad when their car was broadsided by someone texting or otherwise distracted. A driver watching a movie while driving is 'at least' as distracted as texting and that fact can not be argued with any credibility.

You can buy a kit that will allow you to do just that. But..... if you did, and were involved in an accident and it was proven you were willingly distracted such as texting or watching a DVD, do you really think your insurance company would keep you after that? They might not even pay the claim (your car and medical) if you were found at fault for such. There is enough info in the car now to make 100% concentration on the road a sizable chore. Some say way too much. I've tried to cut back on the features I use while driving. Just sayin .......
Thanks for the concern.

Which 'kits' allow this functionality and where can I get one? I've done some searching and have always come up empty handed. We travel frequently to our vacation home 4 hours away and if the wife was able to watch movies in the car it would make it a much shorter trip.

Thanks again.
Old 12-18-12, 08:04 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to look into the Prestigious Society nav override. As a secondary feature it will let you watch DVD's wihile moving. What I use mine for is setting the nav or looking up a contact while moving.
Old 11-25-13, 07:06 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Get an ipad for movies.
Old 11-25-13, 09:48 AM
mshumack
Driver

In stock form with no modifications - I can watch DVD's in my 2013 RX with the navi/premium package...(which includes a single slot in-dash CD/DVD player)

When I take off the parking brake, the movie screen disappears back to the navigation map.

Thanks in advance.

**EDIT** Just tried this on a short trip to the gas station and when the parking brake alarm comes on it also causes the movie screen to disappear. This method wont' work.
Last night I tried to test watch a DVD movie on my 2014 RX but all I could get was the sound (no picture). I'm not sure if the parking brake was on or off. I was in the garage, car in park, engine not running.
Should it have worked?
Is the Parking Brake ON the key to getting a picture. I have the Navigation system - but don't have the rear seat DVD monitors (I know I have the Comfort Package but I don't remeber if I have the premium pk too)
Old 11-25-13, 10:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mshumack
Last night I tried to test watch a DVD movie on my 2014 RX but all I could get was the sound (no picture). I'm not sure if the parking brake was on or off. I was in the garage, car in park, engine not running.
Should it have worked?
Is the Parking Brake ON the key to getting a picture. I have the Navigation system - but don't have the rear seat DVD monitors (I know I have the Comfort Package but I don't remember if I have the premium pk too)
Set the parking brake. Problem fixed.
Or cut the blue wire (I believe) going to the Nav system. Problem fixed permanently.

Correction:
It is also speed-related. So, speed sensor needs to be cut as well.

Last edited by vlad_a; 04-28-14 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-25-13, 10:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mshumack
Should it have worked?
Is the Parking Brake ON the key to getting a picture. I have the Navigation system - but don't have the rear seat DVD monitors (I know I have the Comfort Package but I don't remeber if I have the premium pk too)
You don't have the premium package so your nav system can play the audio but not video.
Old 11-25-13, 10:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
You don't have the premium package so your nav system can play the audio but not video.
2013s+ play videos on Nav just fine. It's penalty we get for not having a 6-disc changer.
Old 11-25-13, 10:51 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
2013s+ play videos on Nav just fine. It's penalty we get for not having a 6-disc changer.
Ahhh I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 11-25-13, 10:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Ahhh I stand corrected. Thanks.
No prob. The parking brake got me as well, and that's how I learned.
Old 04-25-14, 08:26 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Thanks for the concern.

Which 'kits' allow this functionality and where can I get one? I've done some searching and have always come up empty handed. We travel frequently to our vacation home 4 hours away and if the wife was able to watch movies in the car it would make it a much shorter trip.

Thanks again.
Put her in the back seat and have more consideration for others on the road.

John