RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

$32 to install wiper inserts? Really?

Old 11-21-12, 02:38 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default $32 to install wiper inserts? Really?

Today was my first service on my 2010 RX.
I was expecting the $90 oil change.
I was even ok with the $50 tire rotation.
But $32 just to install the wiper blades? Added to the cost of the actual blades I just paid about $55 for wiper blades. What did this take them, like 3 minutes total?
I feel like I was robbed.
Worse than the $150 my BMW dealer charges for a simple oil change.
Old 11-21-12, 02:39 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

find an independent shop and stop going to the dealer!
Old 11-21-12, 02:43 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that is high. I would definitely complain to the service tech. If they don't give you a credit, the next service would be done at a Toyota dealership. Good luck.
Old 11-21-12, 03:24 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha I just did that last night in my garage. Pay me $10 and I will make a youtube video for you.

Actually just kidding, I will do it for free if you need one. I only did my drivers side, turns out the blade is the same size as my Prius
Old 11-21-12, 04:33 PM
ejm3
Driver

I generally like the factory blades so on my other cars I've just sucked it up and paid the $10 or so for the dealer to put them on. In many cases dealers hasn't charged anything to install them. So I guess lesson learned and ill do it myself next time.
Old 11-21-12, 05:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

That's the kind of charge that gives (Lexus) dealerships a bad reputation IMO. Something resonable i can see, but $55 for inserts is excessive. You can buy inserts at Auto Zone and they'll put them on for you if you want. I hope you are able to get somethng done on the charge. If not, at least it's a lesson learned.
Old 11-21-12, 06:29 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree, those preset labor rates can be killer. And the refills were overpriced. I've paid about $30 and gotten them for free too. Right now my dealer has a service special for $32 that includes changing the refills, inspecting the windshield, filling the washer fluid, and a complimentary wash and vacuum. I don't know if the cost of the refills is included at that price. If it is, that would be pretty decent. But I won't be taking advantage of it next week when I'm there since I changed mine a few weeks ago.
Old 11-22-12, 05:29 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I agree, those preset labor rates can be killer. And the refills were overpriced. I've paid about $30 and gotten them for free too. Right now my dealer has a service special for $32 that includes changing the refills, inspecting the windshield, filling the washer fluid, and a complimentary wash and vacuum. I don't know if the cost of the refills is included at that price. If it is, that would be pretty decent. But I won't be taking advantage of it next week when I'm there since I changed mine a few weeks ago.
"inspecting the windshield" ?!? LOL
Old 11-22-12, 07:56 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You wuz robbed....I bought the wiper inserts from Sewell for $20 (just the rubber blades and that includes the back wiper) and spent 15 minutes of my own time at my kitchen table putting the new inserts in the wiper arms. It's a little tedious because you have to pull out the old wiper inserts and transfer the thin steel bars to the new inserts and reassembe, so it's not a quickie in and out operation. You have to be careful going to any dealer, or any repair shop, and asking for the simple things to be done. Some of this stuff is very easy to do yourself. $55 is not the end of the world but next time just ask beforehand.

$90 for oil/filter and $50 for tire rotation is a bit high but you are paying for the privilege of living in high cost CT (labor, taxes, facilities) . I pay $70 for the oil/filter change in TX at the dealer, and I go to Discount Tire for the tire rotation.....FREE, even though I'm on the original OEM tires. I've bought tires for my other Lexus there so they know I'll eventually come back to them when I need new tires.

You should consider getting a Lexus Visa card, you get 1.5 points per dollar charged (5X at Lexus dealer) toward Lexus dealer use (parts, service, or towards new car). I even put $10,000 down payment on the card which netted me an immediate $500 credit. I've never paid a dime out of pocket for any routine service on my two cars, just give them the card and tell them to use the points to pay the bill. Just had my oil/filter, brake fluid changed last week on the IS, and just used the points to pay for it. Makes it painless.

Last edited by Evitzee; 11-22-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-22-12, 08:08 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I expect to pay more for service at a dealership, although I really don't understand why. But it REALLY bothers me that Lexus dealerships take gouging their owners to an art form. They know they do it, and they don't care. People simply accept it as the price of owning a "premium brand". Many of us have experiences to share, but they all say the same thing. It's ridiculous.

I love both of my Lexus vehicles, but their service is huge negative, in my opinion. I don't think gouging is funny, and I don't think we should have to give up factory trained and approved service to avoid it. It's a good thing they don't break very often, because going to the Lexus service department is about as much fun as getting an invitation to an appointment with an IRS agent. Even though they ply you with soft chairs and free bottled water.

I guess this is an example of the downside of a free market.
Old 11-22-12, 08:32 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I expect to pay more for service at a dealership, although I really don't understand why. But it REALLY bothers me that Lexus dealerships take gouging their owners to an art form. They know they do it, and they don't care. People simply accept it as the price of owning a "premium brand". Many of us have experiences to share, but they all say the same thing. It's ridiculous.

I love both of my Lexus vehicles, but their service is huge negative, in my opinion. I don't think gouging is funny, and I don't think we should have to give up factory trained and approved service to avoid it. It's a good thing they don't break very often, because going to the Lexus service department is about as much fun as getting an invitation to an appointment with an IRS agent. Even though they ply you with soft chairs and free bottled water.

I don't believe Lexus, in general, is gouging. People don't do their homework and then go to the dealer and ask for a '30,000 mi service' which is an invitation to be taken advantage of. Spend a half hour with the service schedule and you'll see that other than oil, various filters, brake fluid changes, and tire rotations there is very little that has to be done to these vehicles. Don't get sold things like fuel injection cleaning or transmission flushes, these things just aren't called for. I've been happy with the two dealers I frequent, but I tell them what I want done and skip their sales pitches.
Old 11-22-12, 09:04 AM
ejm3
Driver

Yeah it was my bad for not asking how much prior to them putting the blades on. Lesson learned.
I actually brought my car in ( not the Lexus) for brakes. I asked them to also rotate th tires. They actually charged me for the tire rotation! When I said they must have had all the tires off to do the brakes and they were essentially charging me to put them back in a different place they took the charge off. Nice try at least I caught that one.
Old 11-22-12, 09:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS

"inspecting the windshield" ?!? LOL
Yes, inspect the windshield for chips. Nothing extraordinary but something else I do myself when I wash the RX.

Originally Posted by Woodrow

Not exactly. Try working with your SA to figure out what needs to be done versus going with the schedule automatically. It's especially helpful for me because I don't put on the miles. Add in coupons and freebies, I'm more than fine with paying their prices. Maybe you haven't found the right SA.

When I bought my first RX 14 years ago I decided I wouldn't be doing much of the maintenance myself. Simple stuff yes, the more complicated things no. Going to the dealer twice a year for service is not a big deal. I make a day out of it because they're a distance away. Most times I have keys to a loaner shoved in my hand. I don't always take it but it's nice to know I can get one.

I'll be heading to my dealer next week for minor service. I might get the nav update, if my SA lets me, LOL. They'll be filling up the gas tank as part of the TSB. After I use a few Lexus bucks, I don't expect to pay that much. BTW, last time I was there, my service was free
Old 11-22-12, 10:02 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people say "Well you bought a Lexus which is a high-end car so dont complain if the service is expensive". If you think so, you got to do it yourself. The joy of being able to accompllsh a simple mechanical job on your car makes you feel good.

I seldom take any of our car to a dealer. If the job is too big for me, I look for an independent shop to have it done. But for simple maintainance work including oil change, wipers, lubrication, etc. I do it myself.
Old 11-22-12, 11:18 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not bad. It cost $120-ish for front wipers on my ML but they last long time, upto 3 years though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $32 to install wiper inserts? Really?