RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

$32 to install wiper inserts? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 04:59 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go buy the blade insert from Toyota, I don't have the # off the top of my head, but the driver side is the same as a 3rd gen Prius while passenger side is the same as a Venza. I think I paid <$6 for each one. You just need a flat head screwdriver or really strong finger to do this job
Old 11-22-12, 05:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Good to know, cossie. The one time I went to a Toyota dealer to see about getting the refills, the parts guy told me I had to get the whole blade and he didn't have anything that would fit. Needless to say I walked out of there.
Old 11-22-12, 07:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Good to know, cossie. The one time I went to a Toyota dealer to see about getting the refills, the parts guy told me I had to get the whole blade and he didn't have anything that would fit. Needless to say I walked out of there.
That's the same problem if you go to Walmart or Autozone, what they have to sell is a whole new wiper arm but it makes no sense to throw away the standard Lexus arm, it's a high quality item. About the only way to just get the inserts is to go to Lexus (or Toyota), or order them online from a place like Sewell.
Old 11-23-12, 09:57 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Don't tell them what it is for, give them the following part #. They sell for about 20% cheaper at Toyota. Heck, when I had about $1000 worth of repair done at Lexus a month ago. I noticed three of the four parts replaced were shared with HIghlanders or Venza and Camrys....

Driver side refill

Passenger side refill

852140T040

Rear refill

852140E050

Sewell are good people and I have purchased from them before, but I have a Toyota dealership 20 minutes from my house that I get Prius parts from. So I just go there and they usually give me 20% off list. Toyota list price is like the Sewell Lexus price. Lexus dealers sell them at even more.

Toyota is weird with their wiper. WIth my Nissan, the cost to replace my wiper blade vs insert was like $3. With Toyota, the actual blade is 4-5x more than the refill. It really isn't hard to do yourself, it will probably take me 15 minutes to do all three taking my time.

Here are some brief steps

#1 Lift the cover for your wiper blade with a flat head screwdriver
#2 Slide it out of the slot, no popping anything
#3 Pull the wiper blade insert out on one side
#4 Note the position of the two metal pieces on each side of the insert
#5 Put the metal pieces at the same spot on the new insert
#6 Slide the blade back into its slot
#7 Put it back on the car and snap the little cover back and you are all set.
Old 11-23-12, 10:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks again cossie. That's a great idea about just giving the Toyota dealer the part numbers. I usually buy them from Sewell but shipping is pricey if that's all I'm getting. I like to change the refills every 4-5 months because I hate streaking.

Two steps I'd add when replacing the refills - put a towel underneath the blade to avoid scratching the windshield and slide the thin end of the refill in first so the thicker end winds up being closest to you. It'll make it easier to get the refill through the catches that hold it in place.
Old 11-23-12, 11:37 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Other than the interior trims and body panels, you can basically find all the parts at Toyota dealership. You will save yourself 20%
Old 11-23-12, 07:06 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today I got a phone call as a follow up on my service. I said I was happy except for this wiper blade charge.
It wasn't actually the dealership that called but a company they hired to do the follow up survey..
We'll see what f anything comes of it.
Old 11-23-12, 08:26 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

They probably don't care about the dry **** raping your wallet took
Old 11-24-12, 10:07 AM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I expect to pay more for service at a dealership, although I really don't understand why. But it REALLY bothers me that Lexus dealerships take gouging their owners to an art form. They know they do it, and they don't care. People simply accept it as the price of owning a "premium brand". Many of us have experiences to share, but they all say the same thing.
.... I don't think gouging is funny, and I don't think we should have to give up factory trained and approved service to avoid it. It's a good thing they don't break very often, because going to the Lexus service department is about as much fun as getting an invitation to an appointment with an IRS agent. Even though they ply you with soft chairs and free bottled water.

I guess this is an example of the downside of a free market.
The oli change on a RX is the same as on Camry, Venza, and most of other makes-any decent mechanic w/ one year of experience can do it.
A lot of times the oil change in the luxury dealerships is done by a "qualified person", not the service tech.
I personally bought RX so I don't have to go to the dealer (hopefully), because: round trip takes 2 hrs;
most of the maintenace I can do myself such as "checking fluids level, windshield inspection for cracks", and other BS. And the oil change can be done my trusted indy mechanic who see almost every make and model in his shop.
After I found out that a remote start module was installed at the Lexus dealer by attaching it to something else with double-sided tape, because the tech did not want to remove knee airbag and the glove box to istall it properly, they lost me as a potential customer.
Old 11-24-12, 10:51 AM
bkh1974
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to windshield wipers. Does the RX have the winter mode like the GS? Where they can sit up higher on the windshield?
Old 11-24-12, 03:30 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bkh1974
When it comes to windshield wipers. Does the RX have the winter mode like the GS? Where they can sit up higher on the windshield?
I'm unfamiliar with this feature. Is there somewhere I could read about it? Thanks.
Old 11-24-12, 08:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by bkh1974
The GS with the optional cold weather package has a windshield wiper deicer. But I'm not aware of the wipers sitting up higher. Not sure how that helps. I lift the wipers off the windshield before it snows and make sure the rain-sensing wiper feature is turned off. Works for me.
Old 11-25-12, 01:28 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get all the services they pitch at me because I want my car to be certified when I go in to trade in my car to get the extra cash to put into another car, because I typically buy my things full down because I hate payments the only loan I have is on my house in Calabasas LOL...
Old 11-25-12, 06:00 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Just clean the wiper blades.

Thanks again cossie. That's a great idea about just giving the Toyota dealer the part numbers. I usually buy them from Sewell but shipping is pricey if that's all I'm getting. I like to change the refills every 4-5 months because I hate streaking.

Two steps I'd add when replacing the refills - put a towel underneath the blade to avoid scratching the windshield and slide the thin end of the refill in first so the thicker end winds up being closest to you. It'll make it easier to get the refill through the catches that hold it in place.

There is a well known trick to extending the life of wiper blades. If they are not cracked or torn, simply clean them with windshield washer fluid. Put some fluid directly on a paper towel and wipe the blades clean. This often eliminates any streaking.
Old 11-25-12, 07:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
There is a well known trick to extending the life of wiper blades. If they are not cracked or torn, simply clean them with windshield washer fluid. Put some fluid directly on a paper towel and wipe the blades clean. This often eliminates any streaking.
I wash the wipers every time I wash the RX (basically every week), put 303 wiper treatment on them every once in a while and Rain-X on the windshield. I'm sure I can go longer but I like having newer refills. Last thing I need is for them to fail in a snow storm. It happened once on the 300. I vowed never again. It's worth it IMO.

Quick Reply: $32 to install wiper inserts? Really?