RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Voice Command Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 12:48 PM
kirbyskip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice Command Problem

I have a 2013 RX 350 with the Nav package and have been using most of the technology (I.e., BT, Enform, etc.) reasonably successfully. Unfortunately, I've been less than happy with the voice command system. It will perform basic dialing functions (call John Doe, Mobile or dial XXXXXX), but I cannot get the system to recognize the "play" command. I have activated the advanced Voice Command option in Settings and can see some of these selections, but not "play".

I should point out that when I first got the car several months ago, I did get "play" to work on several occasions, but have not been able to activate it since.

Have I done something to delete or deactivate this capability?

Any guidance is appreciated.
Old 11-25-12, 02:18 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

From the manual:
A USB memory or iPod must be connected to enable track searching and playback. (See “USB MEMORY OPERATION” on page 256 and “iPod OPERATION” on page 262.)
●When a USB memory or iPod is connected, recognition data is created so tracks can be searched using voice commands.
●Recognition data is updated under the following conditions:
• When the USB memory or iPod data has changed.
• When the voice recognition language is changed. (See page 56.)
●While the recognition data is being created or being updated, a track search cannot be performed using a voice command.
●While “Play Music” is displayed in the “Shortcut menu” screen, say “Play music” to display the music screen from which searching for a track using a voice command can be performed.
●When “Play Music” is dimmed in the “Shortcut Menu” screen, it is not possible to search for a track using a voice command. In this situation, reduce the amount of music data in the USB memory or iPod and update the recognition data to enable searching by voice command

The quote below is NOT displayed properly - refer to manual. Some commands are in the "Short Menu" and some are available only on certain screens. (Sorry for any inconvenience, as always - check the manual)

“Play Music”
Command
Action
Shortcut Menu
“Play Artist <name>”
Plays tracks by the selected artist. For example: Say “Play artist <XXXXX>”*1
“Play Album <name>”
Plays tracks from the selected album. For example: Say “Play album <XXXXX>”*1
“Play Song <name>”*2
Plays the selected track.
For example: Say “Play song Summertime”, “Play song Concerto in A Major” etc.

“Play Playlist <name>”*2
Plays tracks from the selected playlist.
For example: Say “Play playlist My Favorite Songs”, “Play Playlist Classic Hits” etc.

*1: Say the desired artist name or album name in the place of the “<>”.
*2: To use this function, say “Main menu” and then “Play music” while the “Shortcut menu” screen is being displayed.

Last edited by DunWkg; 11-25-12 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Failed attempts to correct formatting