RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DIY DVD Player - Center Armrest Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 03:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default DIY DVD Player - Center Armrest Installation

The rear factory dual DVD player is not an available option for the F-Sport in Canada so I got a center armrest DVD player and it looks almost factory. Dealer installed or aftermarket was too pricey and the thought of lifting up carpeting and head liner bothered me.

I didn't follow the instructions since they were so poorly translated, and I saw a pack of screws which I was not going to drill any holes in the console... so... I decided to do my own installation. The key thing is high quality sticky (glue) velcro that will stick to the console box and DVD unit. Cut the appropriate shape and apply to each side arm and below the DVD base (see picture below, red arrows).

As for wiring, it comes with a cable that comes out of the side of the arm (green arrow) that you can use to connect to the electrical and audio by fishing it underneath the carpeting, but I didn't use that cable, instead the standard power to 12V outlet (blue arrow right) and A/V cable to the AUX jack (blue arrow left), all into the armrest console.

The screen pivots to adjust angle and out of the way forward to ensure one can open the center armrest. DVDs are placed behind the unit. It comes with a remote and two wireless headsets if you want to bypass the car's sound system. All in all, a good buy at a fraction the cost to keep the kids at bay.
Attached Thumbnails DIY DVD Player - Center Armrest Installation-rx_dvd_1.jpg   DIY DVD Player - Center Armrest Installation-rx_dvd_2.jpg  
Old 11-18-12, 04:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice job. Hope the kids enjoy it.
Old 03-25-13, 06:28 AM
tlsmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The rear factory dual DVD player is not an available option for the F-Sport in Canada so I got a center armrest DVD player and it looks almost factory. Dealer installed or aftermarket was too pricey and the thought of lifting up carpeting and head liner bothered me.

I didn't follow the instructions since they were so poorly translated, and I saw a pack of screws which I was not going to drill any holes in the console... so... I decided to do my own installation. The key thing is high quality sticky (glue) velcro that will stick to the console box and DVD unit. Cut the appropriate shape and apply to each side arm and below the DVD base (see picture below, red arrows).

As for wiring, it comes with a cable that comes out of the side of the arm (green arrow) that you can use to connect to the electrical and audio by fishing it underneath the carpeting, but I didn't use that cable, instead the standard power to 12V outlet (blue arrow right) and A/V cable to the AUX jack (blue arrow left), all into the armrest console.

The screen pivots to adjust angle and out of the way forward to ensure one can open the center armrest. DVDs are placed behind the unit. It comes with a remote and two wireless headsets if you want to bypass the car's sound system. All in all, a good buy at a fraction the cost to keep the kids at bay.

which one did you get and where and how much?
Old 03-25-13, 06:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Pretty clean install. Props!!! I've been running DVDs on the factory screen while parked. Keeps kids occupied so they stay in their seats. The OEM home theater sound is awesome. Now, as soon as I get a chance to get behind the factory Nav, I'll cut and ground the parking brake wire so that I can play a DVD for them while in motion. I already checked it doesn't affect Nav.
Old 03-25-13, 10:05 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, I would like to know where to get this too. Thanks

Edit: Found it : Ebay for $200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-5-Center-Console-Armrest-Dvd-Player-Monitor-Rotating-Screen-USB-SD-/221204820956?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_o_Player&hash=item3380d5b3dc

Last edited by sweetboy02; 03-25-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-25-13, 04:22 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a company called OnFair that sells these overseas DVD headrests. I'm not sure if they have this center mount one, but I've been very pleased in my dealing with OnFair. I installed a set of black headrests in my Altima and they work great. The wiring was a pain so I emailed them asking how much for a second set of wires so if I ever moved them to another car I wouldn't have to disassemble half the car to get the wiring out. The guy sent me a set of cables, no charge.

I'd have a pair installed in our RX already if the color was more accurate. The tan headrest is much darker than the Lexus interior leaving us still wondering what we'll do for long trips. We may do the iPad mount that clips to the headrest rods. However, I prefer a factory look over everything else I've seen so far. This center mount looks nice but it definitely looks aftermarket to me.
Old 03-26-13, 04:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by tlsmd
which one did you get and where and how much?
Sweetboy02 found it on Ebay and looks like the same one I bought at LightInTheBox for 165$.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/8-5-inc...b_p247681.html

Good luck.
Old 03-27-13, 12:32 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sweetboy02 found it on Ebay and looks like the same one I bought at LightInTheBox for 165$.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/8-5-inc...b_p247681.html

Good luck.
And here the code for $18 off substitute for $11 extra for shipping

XS_18OFF
Old 03-28-13, 07:41 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thinking about this job. Only $79 if you already have an iPad with movies on it and comes with two wireless headsets. http://www.hammacher.com/Product/82649?promo=search
The nice part is when you sell/trade it stays with you
Old 03-28-13, 07:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Thinking about this job. Only $79 if you already have an iPad with movies on it and comes with two wireless headsets. http://www.hammacher.com/Product/82649?promo=search
The nice part is when you sell/trade it stays with you
Definitely a good alternative Cruiter. Some folks out there might be in a similar situation as I where I have a fairly extensive DVD collection of kids movies and to start ripping and porting each of them over to a tablet (with limited capacity), well it's a bit of a pain. So the DVD player still made sense to us (limited on use for long trips) and nice thing is we'll take it out and place it in the next future vehicle (yet another Lexus for sure ). Eventually, the DVD player will be obsolete once the kids outgrow their movies and the tablet will definitely take over.
Old 06-07-13, 10:12 PM
r00k13
Driver School Candidate

I just got the same dvd player from light in the box. How did you connect your audio cable to your AUX input? Did you have to buy a converter to convert your white/red cable to AUX input? The cable that comes with dvd player is AUX to R/W/Y.

I also have a AUX to AUX cable but that's giving me static sound problem. Even the FM transmitter has static problem as well.

Update: I got the sound to work now, needed to buy a converter from the R/W RCA cable to AUX input. I tried using AUX to AUX cable and that was giving static.

Last edited by r00k13; 06-08-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 03:34 AM
kimike
Driver School Candidate

Default headrest dvd players for cars

Guys, I am looking for headrest dvd for car. Has anyone installed that kind of car dvd before? Is the installation work difficult? Need you advice about the headrest dvd I plan to buy. Plan to buy this 7 inch Digital Car Headrest DVD Player with USB/SD/GAME/IR/FM transmitter from justcardvd http://www.justcardvd.com/products/7...ansmitter.html
7 inch TFT LCD 16:9,Resolution800*RGB*480,Digital panel
Sony lens,Sunplus chip,mabuchi motor
Built-in FM Transmitter Function and Dual IR transmitter,Built-in Speakers,Built-in 32 Bits Games Function
Compatible with MP4,DVD,VCD,SVCD,CD,CD-G,MP3,JPED,WMA,CD-R,CD-RW,and DVCD formats.

Last edited by kimike; 07-01-13 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-13-13, 06:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by r00k13
I just got the same dvd player from light in the box. How did you connect your audio cable to your AUX input? Did you have to buy a converter to convert your white/red cable to AUX input? The cable that comes with dvd player is AUX to R/W/Y.

I also have a AUX to AUX cable but that's giving me static sound problem. Even the FM transmitter has static problem as well.

Update: I got the sound to work now, needed to buy a converter from the R/W RCA cable to AUX input. I tried using AUX to AUX cable and that was giving static.
Great, you figured it out before I had a chance to see this post. This is what I used.
Attached Thumbnails DIY DVD Player - Center Armrest Installation-3-5mm-audio-jack-male-plug-to-2-rca-splitter-adapter-400pcs.jpg