RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bluetooth Profiles (Lexus Connected Services)

Old 11-18-12, 10:50 AM
Westyfield
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Profiles (Lexus Connected Services)

Caveat: I'm in the UK, so might have a slightly different spec to NA. We don't get Lexus Enform or an App or anything like that. We get My Lexus Portal Connected Services, where you can send a destination to the car from online (the car then uses your bluetooth cell phone for the data connection), or save the destination to USB stick from your computer (in some weird encrypted format) and then plug the USB into the car.

From reading through the manual of my MY13 RX 450h, I’ve gone and registered for a portal account with My Lexus Connected Services. As per the FAQ on the website, “In order to use this service, a Bluetooth DUN/PAN capable cellular phone with a valid data plan subscription is required.” (Here's a screenshot incase it wants you to login to see the FAQ)

I’m a bit of a geek, but for those that don’t know the difference between the two bluetooth profiles:
  • DUN is using the phone as a Dial Up Networking modem. It creates a virtual modem through the bluetooth connection to your paired device (laptop, car etc) then dials your provider directly for an internet connection. You need provider specific information, such as the Access Point Name, correct number to dial, the correct initialization string, and possibly a username and/or password.
  • PAN is creating a personal area network, to provide a hotspot. Your paired device (laptop, car etc) doesn’t have to do any dialing or anything.

Anyways, in the car I go into the detailed Bluetooth settings and this is what profiles it shows me as supporting:

HFP, DUN, OPP, PBAP, A2DP, AVRCP, and MAP.

So that’s contradicting what the Lexus website said as there's no PAN. How do I enable PAN on my car? Does it need a software update from Lexus or something?

Why does it matter so much that the car only does DUN whereas the Lexus website says it should do PAN too? Because the Apple iPhone only does PAN not DUN.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get PAN working?

Cheers!
Old 01-05-14, 06:14 PM
acruces
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth DUN

Hi Westyfield, did you fix your trouble? I have the same problem in my new RX 450h (Jan 2014) with my IPhone 5S. As I read in some blogs it only works with some Blackberrys, and I can't understand how Lexus doesn't fix it for other smartphones when BLackberrys are just dying...

Best regards