RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Just got my 2013 rx, hmmmmm......

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 06:31 PM
Pensivern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my 2013 rx, hmmmmm......

I finally got delivery of my 2013 350rx tonite. I'm a little fried and overwhelmed by the 5 hr process of paperwork and new technology instruction but I'm sure it'll be easy with time. I am slightly disappointed that the ride didn't seem as "cushy" as my 2003 300 rx which I just traded in..... Looking at a thread down below it looks like this harsher ride was planned(?). Right now I kind of miss my old RX:/
Old 11-14-12, 06:51 PM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not alone. I am coming from Honda/Acura sedan and just got my regular 2013 RX350 AWD with 19" wheel last weekend. I feel the ride is really bouncy and some time bumpy on rough road. Checked cold tire pressure and it was in 33-34 psi range. Lower it to 32 psi, ride feels less bumpy, but still bouncy.
That I didn't experience when I drove a 2012 loaner RX350 in Vancouver. I didn't remember if loaner was in 18" or 19".

Or I just need to get used to crossover/suv ride behavior?

There is another thread talking about bumpy ride on 3rd gen RX. Some said giving it 500-1000 miles for suspension to break in? and someone said it doesn't help at all .. Some recommends Pirelli or Yoko tires and some wants to go back to 18" wheel.

I am just hoping it will get better after 1K miles break in period. After all, this car is not cheap and I do hope to keep it for 10+ years ... :|
Old 11-15-12, 06:47 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think the RX is bad, you should try the MDX. But then the MDX does handle a lot better
Old 11-15-12, 07:18 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2010 RX450h had a lot to live up to after my 2003 RX300. I loved its ride but thought cornering needed improvement. And it was 'rock' solid in dependability. Over 3.5 years and 43,000 + miles into the (h) and it's even more than I had hoped for. And the wider stance with longer wheelbase makes for great handling and cornering given it's a Lux SUV. Maybe the added weight of the (h) system and batteries helps. I'm not blind, I can see reasons for improvements or minor changes but as a package it excels !!! B/Z Lexus

Last edited by Cruiter; 11-15-12 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-12, 12:36 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

The "ride" a car delivers is a pretty subjective measurement! There is a thin line between a harsh ride and good handling, and it's virtually impossible to satisfy everyone's preference. For years, Lexus has gotten more than their fair share of ridicule from those that lean more to the handling side, because Lexus chose to focus more on the soft, compliant ride. People that prefer a softer ride, thought it was great, and had no expectation of entering any races. I think that Lexus tried to narrow the gap between the 2 opposing sides. This of course will upset some folks on BOTH sides, while still creating a bigger target audience in general. Personally, I think Lexus has done a pretty darn good job of compromise. Sure, some will object to what they feel is a less comfortable car, and others will continue to chuckle and roll their eyes in disgust because it STILL can't be autocrossed.

As what I call a Luxury Utility Vehicle (thanks to Cruiter and kitlz for the more appropriate designation), I think the RX is an outstanding compromise for those of us that require something in the middle ground! It's not a German SUV that is an excellent driving machine, but it rides better, is more comfortable, and more reliable. On the other hand, it's not an 1985 American station wagon that you pointed in the general direction you wanted to go, and hoped you didn't have to do ANYTHING very abruptly. Including accelerate, stop, OR turn. It's a very capable performer that carries a bunch of stuff and is a solid, safe, comfortable vehicle. And a TERRIFIC road trip car! I agree with Cruiter 100%. The RX is an outstanding vehicle, when the entire package is considered! What surprises me, is that it seems like some people didn't know or understand what they were buying BEFORE they spent something close to $50K!

To expect perfection for all drivers without compromise is setting buyers up for disappointment, and is the primary cause of grey hair and heartburn in car designers everywhere!
Old 11-15-12, 01:15 PM
Pensivern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove my new RX for for first time around the block (
other than my original test drive which was primarily highway) and yes, it took the corners better than my 300RX but felt very bumpy. I had my son measure the tire pressure and it was 40...... Not sure if letting a bit of air out would help much; my husband claims I have the "princess and the pea syndrome" fueled by reading similar complaints on the forum. Bottom line is I need to get used to the feel, even my chosen saddle interior feels claustrophobic next to the lighter colors I was used to.......thinking back I sorely missed my Honda Rodeo after trading it in for my RX300, so I guess I'll grow to love it with time.
Old 11-15-12, 01:36 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless it's changed, the door jam should say 32PSI cold (for the 19" tires). If you have 40PSI that will definitely add harshness and lower the amount of miles you can expect from your tires.
Originally Posted by Pensivern
Just drove my new RX for for first time around the block (
other than my original test drive which was primarily highway) and yes, it took the corners better than my 300RX but felt very bumpy. I had my son measure the tire pressure and it was 40...... Not sure if letting a bit of air out would help much; my husband claims I have the "princess and the pea syndrome" fueled by reading similar complaints on the forum. Bottom line is I need to get used to the feel, even my chosen saddle interior feels claustrophobic next to the lighter colors I was used to.......thinking back I sorely missed my Honda Rodeo after trading it in for my RX300, so I guess I'll grow to love it with time.
Old 11-15-12, 01:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Defintely lower the tire pressure. It's too high. I think it should be 33. Mine is at 34ish. You will feel a difference. I can't guarantee though whether it'll be enough for you to enjoy the ride. And give it some time too. Good luck.
Old 11-15-12, 03:19 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Leave it at the Factory 32; the MAXIMUM on that tire is 34; it should only be above that for racing where it might peel off in the corners!!!
Old 11-15-12, 04:41 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some times it is buyers remorse
We have had ours for just over a week now for my wife. She was keen to have a Lexus. As a Mechanical Engineer, my choice would have been different. Here is why:
1. When I bought my last vehicle I compared (price was not a consideration) Honda CRV EX-L, Acura RDX and Lexus 350 RX. I ended up buying a Honda.
I found then and now too that Lexus does not have maintenance schedules based on actual condition but rather on miles driven. Even Honda maintenance light shows oil condition etc (% life left).
2. Lexus is not the best in class for fuel consumption. In these days of using less hydrocarbons better mileage is not just an economic need but more of a responsibility to future generations. I would expect Lexus fuel consumption to be better than Acura when I consider a replacement for my CRV next year.
3. The learning curve has been big for some of the systems and the on-line videos need to be updated and enhanced to ensure new owners have a stress free and intuitive learning process.

Other than that, my wife is happy with the car and it could be owner remorse or just that with age, change is slow in adjusting to
Old 11-15-12, 04:51 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by upnorth85
Some times it is buyers remorse
We have had ours for just over a week now for my wife. She was keen to have a Lexus. As a Mechanical Engineer, my choice would have been different. Here is why:
1. When I bought my last vehicle I compared (price was not a consideration) Honda CRV EX-L, Acura RDX and Lexus 350 RX. I ended up buying a Honda.
I found then and now too that Lexus does not have maintenance schedules based on actual condition but rather on miles driven. Even Honda maintenance light shows oil condition etc (% life left).
2. Lexus is not the best in class for fuel consumption. In these days of using less hydrocarbons better mileage is not just an economic need but more of a responsibility to future generations. I would expect Lexus fuel consumption to be better than Acura when I consider a replacement for my CRV next year.
3. The learning curve has been big for some of the systems and the on-line videos need to be updated and enhanced to ensure new owners have a stress free and intuitive learning process.

Other than that, my wife is happy with the car and it could be owner remorse or just that with age, change is slow in adjusting to
As a lubrication engineer I can't resist commenting on oil/maintenance logarithm's; GM has a VERY complicated one in its Cadillacs, but the SRX is the most promlematic engine for oil as it
has NOT gotten to timing gears and caused massive, expensive and "Cadillac won't cover it" problems in the industry; I know, I had one!!! Those systems are only as good as the program; I am very comfortable with 10,000 miles on 0W20 synthetic Mobil 1 AMERICAN made oil!! My sources say it would last much longer, tho they recommend more frequent changes in very HOT conditions like idling limos in Las Vegas!!
I don't know what your age is, but all newer cars are changing tremendously each year!!!,,
Just my .02
Old 11-15-12, 08:07 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

I think sensors are used to sense the viscosity of oil and sediments to recommend remaining oil life. I find it intriguing to Lexus still uses an old thumb rule.

When I buy a luxury vehicle like Lexus I expect it to have best of class technology that is environmentally friendly. I was thus disappointed to find this after having bought the vehicle. When I am in the market again for my car's replacement I will take more time to look carefully at the options.

Originally Posted by dctex99
As a lubrication engineer I can't resist commenting on oil/maintenance logarithm's; GM has a VERY complicated one in its Cadillacs, but the SRX is the most promlematic engine for oil as it
has NOT gotten to timing gears and caused massive, expensive and "Cadillac won't cover it" problems in the industry; I know, I had one!!! Those systems are only as good as the program; I am very comfortable with 10,000 miles on 0W20 synthetic Mobil 1 AMERICAN made oil!! My sources say it would last much longer, tho they recommend more frequent changes in very HOT conditions like idling limos in Las Vegas!!
I don't know what your age is, but all newer cars are changing tremendously each year!!!,,
Just my .02
Old 11-15-12, 10:10 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

I think sensors are used to sense the viscosity of oil and sediments to recommend remaining oil life. I find it intriguing to Lexus still uses an old thumb rule.

When I buy a luxury vehicle like Lexus I expect it to have best of class technology that is environmentally friendly. I was thus disappointed to find this after having bought the vehicle. When I am in the market again for my car's replacement I will take more time to look carefully at the options.
Sensors as in temperature of oil, exhaust,water,speed of engine,idling mixture of gas/air indicating lean/rich burn, and speed driven!
Old 11-16-12, 04:26 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Yes, but none of these sensors tell us when to do the service. With huge advances in predictive maintenance in machines, I am amazed that a luxury vehicle still relies on the old thumb rule for maintenance not the actual condition of the equipment/engine.

Originally Posted by dctex99
Sensors as in temperature of oil, exhaust,water,speed of engine,idling mixture of gas/air indicating lean/rich burn, and speed driven!
Old 11-16-12, 08:12 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Yes, but none of these sensors tell us when to do the service. With huge advances in predictive maintenance in machines, I am amazed that a luxury vehicle still relies on the old thumb rule for maintenance not the actual condition of the equipment/engine.
Well GM has the patent on their Logarithm that took a few years to develop; but just like
XM Sat radio they could purchase it!!!

Quick Reply: Just got my 2013 rx, hmmmmm......