RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

After market, body roll improvement for RX350?

Old 03-17-14, 12:23 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

I did install the H&R wheel spacers a couple of weeks ago and the improvement in road grip, vehicle stability and body roll is worth the investment of $240.00. I got the 20mm (each side) total 40mm track increase size. There is another thread if you search wheel spacers that covers them in depth and has the part numbers. I highly recommend them.
Old 07-14-14, 07:48 PM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel info?

Originally Posted by Dolphin
An interesting update for this thread, as I am sure it will hang around for a long time for those looking to improve RX body roll / cornering...

I replaced my factory 19" F Sport rims with 20" rims. Replaced the Dueller 19" with 20" Mich. HP's. I was expecting another improvement in cornering performance.... unfortunately, the opposite occurred. The HP sidewalls are not as stiff as the Duellers, these details MATTER! The increased rim size did not compensate enough for the softer sidewalls. Def. a mistake for me, as the ride was already plush enough, if a do-over was possible, I would have went with 20" Duellers.

These rims also offer 1" wider width... other than slightly nicer appearance, as the wheels are not buried so deep in the wheel well, no noticeable benefit. I am sure the larger footprint on the road will yield better traction.
Can you specify the wheel and tire sizes that you have tried? I initially thought the 18" rims would be enough for the Rx, but ended up buying an Rx350 Sport Appearance package with the 19" F Sport rims. I like the look, but are you saying you prefer the ride that the 19" F sport rims give you, over any other combo? I also would consider going to a lightweight racing rim and tire. The only downside for a racing rim is it is a "weaker" wheel, so no towing or large hauls.
Old 07-15-14, 09:16 AM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Default Me too! I want less body roll

FWD Rx 350 2013 with Sport Appearance package, that means 19" Fsport wheels, idk what tires. With tow package, which would add slightly more weight to the front end.

I just got this vehicle last month. It's great on my potholed roads that surround my house like a mine field, arg! I have to have a flexible suspension to deal with these roads, downtown Dallas, TX. So bigger rims is not really an option.

It was going great until my first roadtrip this week. I was fully loaded, 2 people, full boot with no extra space, it barely fit, hanging clothes all the way across the backseat. Going 80mph in a straight line on the highway is not a problem, but some of the more aggressive highway curves made me uncomfortable going even 75mph, which is the speed limit minimum,

I like a little give in the suspension but I think the extra weight made my vehicle sway more than usual on highway dips. So, I want to minimize the excessive body roll, and sway, and/or bouncy boat feel, without losing the pothole road armor, that keeps me comfortable around my neighborhood.

Should I replace the rear shocks with KYB "OEM" style? Would this give me a slightly stiffer rear end? No one has mentioned this idea yet. (Originally I looked for Bilstein but they don't make shocks for this vehicle.) This is my preference to start. I will say that I test drove an F Sport Rx350, and did not like the suspension for my neighborhood, it jarred me too much, so I need something in between.

I like the idea of wheel spacers to give me a wider stance. Or I could drop the vehicle with Zoom Bane springs, maybe 1" or 2". I probably don't want to do larger sway bars, in fact I would remove them completely like a jeep crawler, but I might completely fly off the highway at 80mph. I will also consider the "body damper" that Dolphin installed, it sounded like Dolphin really liked that upgrade. My old 1998 Chevy C1500 truck benefited a lot from being lowered, but it was hell around the neighborhood, before and after the lowering.
Old 07-15-14, 09:47 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyLexiRx
but some of the more aggressive highway curves made me uncomfortable going even 75mph, which is the speed limit minimum,
Ok, this is going to sound like an azzhat comment but believe when I say that I'm not intending it to be.

Why not take the same money you're going to spend to make the RX not drive like an RX and take some driving lesssons to minimize the discomfort? Getting rid of the body roll is not going to give you a 'cushy' ride nor is it going to make you a better driver. For what you take out of the body roll, you're going to put that stress somewhere else on the vehicle during the turn (I went into a whole diatribe prevous here about what adding spacers does to your vehicle so won't start that again). Body roll and uncomfort is telling you that you are taking the wrong line/wrong speed into the curve. Change that part first before you alter the vehicle.
Old 07-15-14, 10:35 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I am going to agree with the above. I am yet to see a curve on a freeway, going though which would make the RX unsettled.
In fact, there is a curve on my way to work where my IS shows its colors as a well-handling car. It is a lot of fun to drive there w/o slowing down. Yet the RX just goes through without breaking a sweat. Just point and shoot. No drama at all. Granted, the IS has much higher limits, but the RX does very well for what it is.
Old 07-15-14, 02:29 PM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Default still getting used to the Rx

Oohpapi44, I linked the thread regarding spacers on the Rx... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...spacers-2.html So, you are not a fan of adding spacers to the Rx... what would be your first upgrade on the Rx?

I really want to try the KYB shocks. Has anyone done this? (I tend to think all auto manufacturers use cheap parts. And generally any vehicle can be improved on.)

You guys may have read too much into my previous post... I am still getting used to the Rx, as it is my first FWD vehicle. And I would normally be driving a 2009 Audi A4 on long road trips, which kinda spoils the driver, especially on the curves.
Old 07-16-14, 07:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oohpapi44, I linked the thread regarding spacers on the Rx... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...spacers-2.html So, you are not a fan of adding spacers to the Rx... what would be your first upgrade on the Rx?

I really want to try the KYB shocks. Has anyone done this? (I tend to think all auto manufacturers use cheap parts. And generally any vehicle can be improved on.)

You guys may have read too much into my previous post... I am still getting used to the Rx, as it is my first FWD vehicle. And I would normally be driving a 2009 Audi A4 on long road trips, which kinda spoils the driver, especially on the curves.
Honestly, I wouldn't bother upgrading the Rx. First you'd have to figure out what you want to get out of it (modding with a purpose). Handling? Have to lower it, add sway bars, changing bushings, etc. But you'd kill the whole comfort point of buying the RX, it was never meant for fun and those who claim it to be fun have never really had any. F-sport and handling i've spoken on numberous times as to how much of a gimmick it is, but it does clarify my point in that you're going to throw money at the suspension and end up with a vehicle that only marginally performs better than when you started..

Agree that any vehicle can be improved on with enough time and $$$ thrown at it. The receipts for my GS prove that readily enough. But that vehicle is made for modding. RX, not so much. 270hp for a heavy vehicle that tops out at 112mph. blah...lol. Drive it to its limitations though (safely), just know what and where they are.
Old 07-16-14, 08:02 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

What exactly are you trying to get out of it? If you end up with stiffer shocks, the suspension will follow every single bump on the road and so will the body of the vehicle. It will be uncomfortable to drive for periods longer than 10 minutes. I have Koni Yellow (adjustable) shocks on my IS300. I had to fine-tune these for the roads I drive on to get the best performance vs comfort combination.

Toyota uses KYB as an OEM manufacturer. They do have a rule for aftermarket shocks vs OEMs, which are almost identical, except the aftermarket has to be 10% stiffer.
Old 07-16-14, 03:26 PM
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Default Comfort is a priority for sure

I just bought this vehicle, and maybe I have some buyers remorse issues, but I choose the Lexus Rx for its comfort and because it looks sweet!

I did have to make a conscience decision between the Rx and the Volvo XC60, which is much sportier. I really liked the way the Volvo drove better, if I am being honest, but it doesn't look very cool, IMO. So, I went for the looker. So my priorities are looks, comfort, and handling, in that order. Oh, and I had to go with an SUV, or CUV, because of the family.

Thanks for ideas, to all. OohPapi makes a good point with the FSport version, which I thought was a good try by Lexus, but did not work for me, because of the harsher ride. So if Lexus spent lots of money to try to upgrade the Rx, I might be hard pressed to do any better on my own. I was surprised they didn't upgrade the HP on the FSport, that may have made the difference for me.

KYBs are 10% stiffer? That sounds good to me. I remember when I put Bilstein shocks on my old truck, and it transformed the handling, immensely. Shocks can make a big difference. The V6 engine could be upgraded with a Turbo too, but it wouldn't be worth it, unless the stock suspension is upgraded.
Old 07-16-14, 04:19 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't confuse heavier shocks & struts with stiffer coil springs.
The shocks/struts do not support the body in any way & will not make any difference in body roll. You will notice, however, a difference in dampening ability between regular or heavy duty etc..
A soft cushy ride can go to really harsh for under $200.00 of the wrong parts.
RX is a short wheel base car with a high centre of gravity & very heavy.
Lowering the suspended weight will make a difference in roll as well as beefing up the sway bar sizes.
Every change comes with a benefit & also a negative factor.
Best suspension set-ups are not individual components but a selected group that work well together.
Get on the phone with a tech from Eaton or Moog springs. Tell them what your goal is & they can recommend a coil/strut combination for you.

My 43 year old Buick drives as new...........still with 50 year old technology it's not an RX.
I was on the merry-go-round for a couple years changing springs until I was directed by the tech at MOOG.
Stock height, body roll at a minimum, soft cushy ride. Still bark the tires.
Old 07-16-14, 05:40 PM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna ask the question mostly due to my lack of knowledge and interest in being educated.

I've read quiet a lot of threads in the IS, GS, LS and SC forums where owners have upgraded (or added) to aftermarket sway and strut bars and where very happy with the results. I.e better handling and less body roll.

So i'm assuming, that since RX is an SUV, we are talking a different animal here?
Old 07-17-14, 05:47 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Same animal, different application.
RX has a short foot print, high centre of gravity & is very heavy.
IS has about the same foot print, much lower centre of gravity & is lighter.
RX can be better controlled but you need the correct combination of parts.
For every gain you make you will also loose something. Stiffer spring will usually result in a more harsh ride.
Spring rates on a vehicle is another science unto itself.

Picture a 5lb. steel ball in your hand.
Hold it close to your chest all day long.
Extend your arm & you might last a few minutes.
Centre of gravity has moved well away from your body.
Old 07-17-14, 10:51 AM
JProdun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So center of gravity is what's playing a major role in our cars as suppose to sedans?
Old 07-17-14, 11:08 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

It's not the only factor but it is a very important one.

'14 RX has 107.9" wheel base, IS has 110.2"
'14 RX has 4178 lbs. curb weight, IS has 3593 lbs.
'14 RX 66.7"high, IS is 56.3".

Nothing short of a complete custom suspension, ( tuned, tested & tuned again) will ever get the RX to even come close to keeping up to the IS on a road course. All this testing & tuning equates to mega-bucks.
That said, it's not designed as a canyon carver either.

Last edited by SteveCraig; 07-17-14 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 07:28 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

There are no aftermarket anti-sway bars for the RX. Wheel spacers widen the track and thereby lower the center of gravity. However if you want a hot rod SUV buy a BMW or Audi.

I have 18 inch wheels on mine. My plan is check the front suspension to see if the lateral damper will fit my 2010. I already have a CT200h with them and they seem to help some with stiffening up the vehicle. When I get new tires this fall (my old tires will not pass VA safety inspection in Nov) I will get 19x8 or 19x8.5 wheels and 255/50/19 Goodyear Eagle FI Asymmetrical All Season tires. They have great reviews & test result on Tire Rack & Consumer Reports. I considered the highly rated Continental asymmetrical tires but they appear to have intermittent balance issues.

I think this combination will keep the soft ride, improve steering responsiveness and ultimate grip while reducing vibration.

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-22-14 at 07:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After market, body roll improvement for RX350?