RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Should I call the dealer or leave it alone..?

Old 10-19-12, 07:59 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Should I call the dealer or leave it alone..?

Tonight my daughter noted that a plastic panel above passenger feet made rattling noise (she knows I HATE rattles).

When at home, I removed the black plastic panel below glove compartment and found a remote start module lose-it was installed by the dealer at the time of purchase, and I did pay full price for the remote start.

Apparently the module was attached to a housing above it with one piece of double-sided tape, so eventually it fell off.

I also “found” a white male plug with one thin wire going into it-then from behind the carpet I “fished “ the female plug also w/ one wire, so I plugged them together.

I re-attached the remote start module using two pieces of double-sided tape, and then used a wire tie around both pieces-I hope I don’t have to fix it ever again.

I wonder if I should call the dealer and tell them about the problem or just leave it alone.

I really hoped that Lexus dealer would be better then Volvo dealer where every other repair caused another trip back to fix some thing else.

I did not want to go to the dealer because: it’s a 50 min. drive, it would probably take around 1-2 hours for them to “fix” it, and their “fix” most likely would be same as mine.

Te only thing that bothers me is what are those two plugs that were not connected-the RX seemed to function fine with them not connected.
I tested the remote start, which works fine, and it seems that nothing has changed-climate control, NAV, sound system all work fine.

I have not driven it yet, it started fine from remote and using “start” button.
Old 10-19-12, 09:09 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. You don't know whether THEY actually put that system in or whether they sent it out or someone came over and did it; notify them!!
2. DO NOT arbitrarily plug things in because they will "fit together"; your car could catch on fire or worse!!!

Enough said for now
Old 10-20-12, 03:49 AM
2013rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't know what the plug does and it doesn't change anything, Why keep it plugged?
Old 10-20-12, 05:46 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Unplug it, notify the dealer, bring it to their attention again the next time you need service.
Old 10-20-12, 12:28 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Thanks to every one for your advise-drove it today and no problems/changes in the way it drove, everything else seems working just fine (climate, sound, NAV, etc).

Originally Posted by dctex99
1. You don't know whether THEY actually put that system in or whether they sent it out or someone came over and did it; notify them!!
The OEM remote start was installed by the dealer, one week after I picked up the vehicle because they would not have enough time/men power to install it when we finalized the purchase.
It took all about 40 min. from the time I dropped it off to pick it up-now I know why it was so quick...

2. DO NOT arbitrarily plug things in because they will "fit together"; your car could catch on fire or worse!!!
I don't think the RX will catch fire because the wire was hair-thin, most likely carries a diagnostic or some other very low-voltage signal; from my experience the plugs in modern vehicles don't "just fit together" unless they are made to fit together, sometimes plugs are not fitted together because the vehicle does not have certain fitures (heads-up display, motorized mirrors, etc.)

Anyway I will report again after talking to the dealer-the only problerm is 2 hour round trip+1-2 hours in the shop=lost working day, and I don't get paid if not working...
Old 10-20-12, 01:43 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd let it go for now if everything is working ok, but next time you bring the car in for servicing have them check out your concerns.
Old 10-20-12, 07:56 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'd let it go for now if everything is working ok, but next time you bring the car in for servicing have them check out your concerns.
I'll do just that-but next service is in Feb 2013, I hope it will not catch fire before that...

I made the original post because I was upset w/ delaer's work quality (or lack of it); I hoped that techs at Lexus would do better job installing the remote start.
I have gone to an alarm shop before, that installs same module cheaper then the dealer, did not go there this time because hoped dealer would do everything "by the book".

Anyway, hopefully RX will not need so many trips to the dealer as our XC90 did...
Old 10-21-12, 07:32 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder how big the wire is involved in these fires. Probably carrying power rather than data:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/20/g...r-electronics/

I had a security/alarm installer put in a remote start that messed around some of the air bags and left some stuff hang'n. Had the dealer fix it. Frustrating.

Last edited by DunWkg; 10-21-12 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-22-12, 05:49 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I wonder how big the wire is involved in these fires. Probably carrying power rather than data:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/20/g...r-electronics/

I had a security/alarm installer put in a remote start that messed around some of the air bags and left some stuff hang'n. Had the dealer fix it. Frustrating.
Was it an aftermarket remote start?

The shop I mentioned before does lot of Lexuses (and other luxury vehicles)-they told me they install OEM remote start, and I would keep Original key fobs.

***I have lost a sense of "exclusivity" after I traded my LR for RX...
Old 10-22-12, 08:48 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
Was it an aftermarket remote start?

The shop I mentioned before does lot of Lexuses (and other luxury vehicles)-they told me they install OEM remote start, and I would keep Original key fobs.

***I have lost a sense of "exclusivity" after I traded my LR for RX...
2010 RXh with factory remote start and added aftermarket. Many problems. Aftermarket removed, problems sort of gone. Headlight problems developed and Lexus fixed and found airbag problems. Aftermarket installer later out of business.

2012 RXh with factory remote start and added different aftermarket. Some problems with alarm portion of aftermarket. Kept factory and aftermarket remote start, but removed aftermarket alarm and all is well
Old 10-23-12, 08:06 AM
waapples
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 40k miles service on my Porsche, one of the tech forgot to plug-in plastic screw under the hood, I took a picture and circled the area where it's missing the part, and sent e-mail to the service advisor, they quickly responded and got an appointment to get it addressed.

I would take a picture of the area in question including the plugs and send an e-mail to Lexus dealer SA w/ the subject line "rattle noise?" At least bring it to their attention, who knows you might get a free engine oil change next time

Good luck!

ps> I agree, I wouldn't randomly plug stuff just because they appear to fit.
Old 10-27-12, 10:21 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I would still call them and let them know about it.
Old 11-04-12, 06:23 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Default Update

2. DO NOT arbitrarily plug things in because they will "fit together"; your car could catch on fire or worse!!!...
Found the installation instructions for remote start-according to Toyota, the Module should be installed/bolted to on the center console, above glove compartment-requires disconnecting the battery, removal of the PS knee airbag, removal of glove compartment.

The "technician" who worked on my RX "saved" all those steps...

The connectors I plugged together carry the diagnistic wire used to "register" the RES module, and is suuposed to be disconnected after the install, and taped to the vehicle harness, not left lose to rattle around.

When the weather is warmer I will disconnec the plugs, but so far I had no problems w/ them connected.