RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Go for RX350 or Fully loaded "mainstream" car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 12:23 PM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When we bought our 2010 RX, we had already eliminated the German brands due to reliability and cost of repairs (not to mention the initial cost!). The free maintenance on the German brands is a great deal, but you pay for it up front and still have to deal with the inconvenience when it needs to be fixed (voice of experience).

I have said many times, that the RX could be the perfect car. Like you, we don't HAVE to have an SUV. We choose to because we like it. The RX drives VERY nicely, though not a sports car. It rides well, and it's an awesome road trip car. The "utility" part is there when you need it, but you feel like you're driving a nice luxury sedan the rest of the time. It's remarkably easy to live with on a daily basis, because it's so comfortable, and thoughtful in it's ergonomics.

Based on our experience with the 2010, and now with our 2013, I definately recommend the RX.
Old 10-15-12, 12:54 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Get the RX350. You'll love it. I'm 22 male and drive this and it's my first luxury SUV. Really wanted a BMW X5 cuz it's very masculine looking. With the RX at first I was like I only see females driving this but as I looked around on the highways I noticed some males drive it too. In my area there are so many it's like they come free with a house purchase. Just yesterday on my way home there were 3 RX's behind me and two going down on the opposite side of the road. They are everywhere here in Sugar Land TX! Pull up to an intersection you'll most likely see one if not two waiting there.
Hey Sevn86,

I'm from Houston originally, nice to see a "home boy" on the forum!

Yes, I see them all the I've here in Dallas too. That's one of the main reasons friends have been trying to dissuade me from getting one, because so many people have one. I realized that for me, comfort, luxury, value and long term reliability matter more to me than exclusivity. Don't get me wrong, the Q5 was a blast to drive, but from what I've been learning, it seems that the RX might make more sense for me.
Old 10-15-12, 01:00 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by Woodrow
When we bought our 2010 RX, we had already eliminated the German brands due to reliability and cost of repairs (not to mention the initial cost!). The free maintenance on the German brands is a great deal, but you pay for it up front and still have to deal with the inconvenience when it needs to be fixed (voice of experience).

I have said many times, that the RX could be the perfect car. Like you, we don't HAVE to have an SUV. We choose to because we like it. The RX drives VERY nicely, though not a sports car. It rides well, and it's an awesome road trip car. The "utility" part is there when you need it, but you feel like you're driving a nice luxury sedan the rest of the time. It's remarkably easy to live with on a daily basis, because it's so comfortable, and thoughtful in it's ergonomics.

Based on our experience with the 2010, and now with our 2013, I definately recommend the RX.
That's one of the main things I've been thinking about: the maintenance down the road, after the "free maintenance" portion has run out. I like what I've been seeing about the extended warranties that you can purchase for a discount online. That combined with the natural reliability of the car seems to be a win-win situation, free of expensive maintenance in a few years.
Old 10-15-12, 02:46 PM
swamyb
Driver School Candidate

I don't know about that other things you want in RX SUV, but for the safety you should get it. My wife and my daughter were saved from a T Bone crash because some nut case ran the red light and the car rolled over landing on its top. Car was totaled. Side airbags, front airbags, knee airbags saved both of them escaping unhurt. We promplty bought another RX 350.
Old 10-15-12, 03:19 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by swamyb
I don't know about that other things you want in RX SUV, but for the safety you should get it. My wife and my daughter were saved from a T Bone crash because some nut case ran the red light and the car rolled over landing on its top. Car was totaled. Side airbags, front airbags, knee airbags saved both of them escaping unhurt. We promplty bought another RX 350.
Wow, great testimonial. So sorry that happened to your family, but glad that they escaped with no injuries.
Old 10-15-12, 09:32 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxhopeful
The other car that has been on my list that I actually test drove the other day is the Audi Q5, so I'm comparing the RX to that as well. If anyone has any benefits to the RX over the Q5, that would be great as well!

We have both 2012RX and 2010 3.2L Q5-the Q5 is definitely a "driver's SUV"-it handles way better then RX, and drives better too-but only on "good" roads. Q5 has very minimal body roll compared to RX, and I can't feel any small imperfections in the road surface-Q5 just "glides " on good road.
BUT: it rides a lot stiffer then RX and where we live the roads are not that great, so RX is more "comfortable" because it "softens" all big bumps and deep potholes.
However I cannot take the turns in RX like in Q5- when in q5 I just turn w/o slowing down and nothing -Q5 moves like it is on rails; in RX I have to SLOW DOWN just before the turn other wise I feel a lot of body roll. The big bumps are absorbed well, bit there is a lot "movements" in the chassis.
I have not driven RX in snow,, but when I had to brake hard (before red light camera) RX did not stop very well-it went slightly to the side.
Audi stops right in ther center, no side movements...

Steering: Audi's is very precise-when you steer you know exactly where you are going
RX-not very precise, needs constant attention.

Climate control/sound system-I like Audi better then RX.
NAV-Audi's is a POS-screen is so small I can't see w/o my reading glasses
NAV in RX is very clear/large fonts

Reliabiliy: RX has had no problems in 8 months
Q5: problems in 3 years: plastic water pump leaked (they corrected that problem -now using metal WP); starter broke (supposedly very uncommon problem), and sunroof leaked-all was fixed under warranty.

The cheaper alternative to RX woud be NIssan Murano-also very reliable, drives well, you can get FWD in TX

I advise against driving the X3-you will want to get one, but reliability in a long run may be a problem.

resale values: euro SUVs retain decent values becaue they are bilt well, very safe and have the "prestige" status.

I and my wife drive SUVs becasue our work involves short trips around the city, between 5-10 a day, so we get in and out of our vehicles 12-20 times a day, and we both have low back problems- it is easier to get into a SUV comparing to a sedan.

After my wife drove RX for the first time the whole day,she said: "Good car to sit in it and to make phone calls...". The seats in Q5 are very firm...

my 2p
Old 10-16-12, 07:15 AM
dwlink
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
They also ranked the RX350 best midsize premium crossover.
Originally Posted by Sevn86
They are everywhere here in Sugar Land TX! Pull up to an intersection you'll most likely see one if not two waiting there.
Not too surprising you see so many of them given that they are the best luxury SUV - they are very common in Philadelphia also. The reliability and price are what sold me on the RX 350 over the X5 (not to mention that there will be a new X5 coming in about a year). My other car is a 5 series, and while it has been very good in terms of needing scheduled and preventative maintenance only, it is still significantly more expensive to service than the RX.

As for the OP, I'd go with the RX if you can afford the monthly payments. Maintainability shouldn't be much of an issue compared to other cars. If you there's only 1 option/package you could get, I would recommend the navigation.
Old 10-17-12, 01:17 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by dwlink
Not too surprising you see so many of them given that they are the best luxury SUV - they are very common in Philadelphia also. The reliability and price are what sold me on the RX 350 over the X5 (not to mention that there will be a new X5 coming in about a year). My other car is a 5 series, and while it has been very good in terms of needing scheduled and preventative maintenance only, it is still significantly more expensive to service than the RX.

As for the OP, I'd go with the RX if you can afford the monthly payments. Maintainability shouldn't be much of an issue compared to other cars. If you there's only 1 option/package you could get, I would recommend the navigation.
Yes, it's hard to argue with the reliability of the RX350. It goes unmatched. I actually went yesterday and test drove the RX350 again. It was a nice smooth ride, and the car has great features, but, from a driving perspective, it was not as fun to drive as the Q5 I test drove last Friday. The Q5 was more fun indeed and handled better it seemed. In the RX, the ride was super comfortable, but didn't have that "get up and go" feeling of the Q5, unless it was just because we test drove in a mainly residential area. I also thought, with the exception of the navigation screen (very nice) the interior, while nice, didn't seem as interesting compared to the Q5.

I've been on the Audi forums as well, and I've been reading about alot of maintenance and reliability issues. Some folks did say they haven't had many issues at all, but several did complain of issues and the expense of fixing those issues.

I wish I could combine the fun drive and interior of the Q5 with the elegance, luxury and reliability of the RX350 for the perfect car! There aren't really any other crossover/suv types that interest me that much.

Decisions, decisions......
Old 10-17-12, 03:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

How about the F-Sport RX? It might be a little more exciting for you.
Old 10-17-12, 04:01 PM
dwlink
Driver

The F-Sport certainly has a firmer ride, but I still think you won't find it anywhere close to the feel of the Q5. The biggest culprit aside of the suspension is the electronic steering which is tuned to be incredibly soft on Lexus.
Old 10-27-12, 06:33 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Default Looks like the RX might be the winner!

Hey, all,

I've been away from the forums for a bit, but I wanted to give an update.

Today I went and drove three cars back to back to really see how I felt about each one. I drove the
'13 Audi Q5, the '13 Infiniti EX37 and the '13 RX350. I had not had a chance to drive them right after each other. I also drove a '13 Lincoln MKX yesterday as well. I have to say after all of my drives today and yesterday, I think I have now walked away with the RX being the winner.

I confirmed that the comfort of the ride, reliability and technology are the things that are the most important to me in terms of features. The saleswoman at the Lexus dealership really took me through much detail about the car and the nav system, showed me lots of things that it can do, explained why here in TX they don't really get cars with the Mark Levinson sound system, just went into more of the features than I had experienced at my previous two test drives on the RX. I think I've mentioned before that I am also HUGE on customer service, and Lexus (at least in the Dallas metroplex) has by far the BEST customer service one can experience. I've been to three of their dealerships and they were all amazing.

So, I think this will end up being what I go with. I still have a few weeks before I actually pull the trigger on purchasing anything, but it's nice to finally feel very comfortable with a choice. Thanks to all of you here for being open to share your experiences and advice. They have done me a world of good!

Now I'll start viewing the threads on discounts to start working on my negotiation plan!
Old 10-28-12, 08:48 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, all,

I've been away from the forums for a bit, but I wanted to give an update.

. The saleswoman at the Lexus dealership really took me through much detail about the car and the nav system, showed me lots of things that it can do, explained why here in TX they don't really get cars with the Mark Levinson sound system, just went into more of the features than I had
Now I'll start viewing the threads on discounts to start working on my negotiation plan!

Would the saleswoman be Dawn P.? That who I bought mine from about a month ago.
Old 10-28-12, 04:26 PM
Rxhopeful
Rookie

Originally Posted by mac12
Would the saleswoman be Dawn P.? That who I bought mine from about a month ago.
No, I wasn't at Sewell yesterday. I was out and about in Grapevine, so I actually drove at Park Place in Grapevine. Service seems to be on par with Sewell's, although I probably prefer to buy from Sewell since it would be more convenient for me. I plan to contact Dawn when I get ready. Did her last name change? I've seen on some other posts on line that her last name begins with B (not sure if CL allows us to put last names). They are a little older posts, so maybe she recently got married or something.
Old 10-28-12, 04:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

No, I wasn't at Sewell yesterday. I was out and about in Grapevine, so I actually drove at Park Place in Grapevine. Service seems to be on par with Sewell's, although I probably prefer to buy from Sewell since it would be more convenient for me. I plan to contact Dawn when I get ready. Did her last name change? I've seen on some other posts on line that her last name begins with B (not sure if CL allows us to put last names). They are a little older posts, so maybe she recently got married or something.
I've enjoyed reading your posts on your car search. Although the RX isn't in the mix for us this time around, we looked at many of the same vehicles as you did. Q5, X3, RDX etc. and have narrowed it down to the X3 IF we pull the trigger. The RX has so much to offer it's tough for the competition and its sales reflect that.
Old 10-28-12, 05:03 PM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right. It does start with a B. When I did the P., I didn't think that sounded right. I should have looked it up. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Go for RX350 or Fully loaded "mainstream" car?