RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Roof Rack Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 06:20 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack

I tried to remove my roof rack but couldn't get the end caps off (2010). I decided to go to the Lexus dealer and ask them how. One person their didn't believe I had a Hybred with a rack and walked out to my RX to see it. He told me that Lexus isn't putting the rack on the 450 because of the 1/2 to 1 mile of mileage loss it causes. Then the service manager and a tech walked out to look also. They said that Lexus drills holes into the roof to mount the rack and removing it would leave holes I couldn't seal from the rain. I find this hard to believe but dumber things have happened. Has anyone added or removed a roof rack on an RX450H, or even a 350?
Old 11-18-09, 08:01 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that it was the [U]cross bars[U] which created the wind drag, and therefore the mileage loss (and increased noise). Which is also why they aren't standard on Gen 3 like they were on Gen 2.

It makes sense to me that the roof rails would be screwed into the roof. How else would you attach them? The roof racks potentially will carry things and therefore have to be anchored solidly, not just glued on. I wouldn't recommend removing them and exposing the holes.

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 11-19-09, 04:49 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a discussion on how to remove the crossbar and some on the rack on

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...oss-rails.html

The thread shows how to remove the end caps (with pictures).

There are two bolts holding the roof rack on each end to the roof of the car. If you remove these, you will have two holes. Perhaps you can get a plastic cover and seal for it, I dont know.

The wind drag is more due to the crossbar. The roof rack is parallel to the direction of the car and therefore offer much less resistance. Some people also complain of a high pitch sound due to the crossbar mainly due to it being installed facing the wrong way.
Old 11-19-09, 07:31 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Some people also complain of a high pitch sound due to the crossbar mainly due to it being installed facing the wrong way.
Naw... poor design. Wife's 08 crossbars make less noise than my 10 and they're installed correctly.
Old 11-20-09, 06:00 PM
gr8330
Rookie

The more I thik about it I can't believe Lexus would just say "drill 4 holes into the top to install the roof rails". The top isn't that thick and without reinforcement wont hold a lot of weight. To the people without a roof rack, do you have four pieces already cut out on you black vinyl strips on both side of the top? Do they look like they could be pried up to be removed?
Old 11-20-09, 06:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Mike, I'd PM Cruiter. His 450h does not have the roof rails. I'm not sure if it was delivered that way or if the dealer removed them after.
Old 11-21-09, 08:03 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8330
I tried to remove my roof rack but couldn't get the end caps off (2010). I decided to go to the Lexus dealer and ask them how. One person their didn't believe I had a Hybred with a rack and walked out to my RX to see it. He told me that Lexus isn't putting the rack on the 450 because of the 1/2 to 1 mile of mileage loss it causes. Then the service manager and a tech walked out to look also. They said that Lexus drills holes into the roof to mount the rack and removing it would leave holes I couldn't seal from the rain. I find this hard to believe but dumber things have happened. Has anyone added or removed a roof rack on an RX450H, or even a 350?
Mike
Adding to what Anita said, my 450h 'FWD' does not have the rails but there are plates over the place where they would have attached. It came from the port that way so I have no way of knowing if they were never attached and the plates came from the factory or if it was a 'port mini-factory' mod to remove them. I can tell you I don't have any of the wind issues others have talked about. The AWD version of the 'h' does have the rails. Whoever you talked to at your dealership is not very informed re: product knowledge. The only RX that ships sans the rails is the FWD version 450h.

Old 11-22-09, 12:19 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Anita and Jim, thanks. What I will do now is find someone that has access to a parts explosion of the rail. Then I should be able to find the part number and order the cover plates and remove my rails.
Old 11-22-09, 03:47 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Mike
Adding to what Anita said, my 450h 'FWD' does not have the rails but there are plates over the place where they would have attached. It came from the port that way so I have no way of knowing if they were never attached and the plates came from the factory or if it was a 'port mini-factory' mod to remove them. I can tell you I don't have any of the wind issues others have talked about. The AWD version of the 'h' does have the rails. Whoever you talked to at your dealership is not very informed re: product knowledge. The only RX that ships sans the rails is the FWD version 450h.

jim would you mind removing 1 of the cover plates & photographing what is beneath

i wanted to remove my rails & bought the cover plates

but the plates needed brackets to attach to

the parts tech couldn't find part #'s for the attachment brackets & i ended up returning the covers

gr8330, the part #'s for the cover plates are 75595-48020 & 75596-48020, you need 2 of each
Old 11-22-09, 06:30 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Mike, I'd PM Cruiter. His 450h does not have the roof rails. I'm not sure if it was delivered that way or if the dealer removed them after.
450H FWD doesn't come with rails by default. I believe the idea is that it's the most fuel efficient version of the vehicle and most customers don't want them.
Old 11-22-09, 07:46 PM
gr8330
Rookie

Originally Posted by jskennedy
jim would you mind removing 1 of the cover plates & photographing what is beneath

the parts tech couldn't find part #'s for the attachment brackets & i ended up returning the covers

gr8330, the part #'s for the cover plates are 75595-48020 & 75596-48020, you need 2 of each
I could sure use that info also, thanks.

jskennedy, Could you tell me which is right and left please?

Last edited by gr8330; 11-22-09 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Need R/L side
Old 11-23-09, 06:04 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by jskennedy

I just took a look at them and there are no screws. Under pressure I can move them side to side about 1/16th of an inch. I'm not sure how to remove them w/o breaking a tab or whatever may be holding them in place but when possible I'll post a photo.

Tazdevil's comment that it doesn't come with rails by default is correct in the sense it's what they use to advertise fuel efficiency. I've driven a 450h AWD now on the highway and mine (FWD sans rails) is definitely quieter. If I had a shot to buy the same car with AWD being the only difference I'd do it just to have the factory 'hitch' pkg. But then I'd ask the dealer to remove the rails. I parked mine next to the AWD I drove and I should have thought to shoot a picture. I like mine better with the sleek look but it's just personal preference and everyone might not agree.
Old 11-23-09, 07:37 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry, just wrote down the part #'s, don't remember which is which, seems like the packages were labeled
Old 11-26-09, 06:59 AM
Cruiter

For both you and JsKennedy, here is the photo. Its over where the right front rail would be mounted. I used the attach file method, I couldn't figure out how to place it directly to the post.

Hope this helps. The arrow emblem in the rear of the plate faces forward.
Attached Thumbnails RX350 Roof Rack Removal-dsc_0207-1.jpg  
Old 11-26-09, 11:13 AM
gr8330
Rookie

Thanks cruiter

Quick Reply: RX350 Roof Rack Removal