RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rodent got into my RX

Old 02-16-15, 08:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
I strongly urge against using D-Con and other poisons for the following reasons (and much experience). Yes, the bait kills rodents. HOWEVER, often I have found that the mice don't eat all
of the pellets but rather stash significant quantities in various places around the garage where they can eat them later. I have found big piles of them in various places. If your pets or kids find them, you can have a serious problem. So be cautious.

The standard, basic Victor mouse trap and peanut butter got rid of 21 mice for me this Fall, and you have the luxury of knowing whether they're gone or not by seeing if your bait is nibbled, even if you don't catch one.
budwom, the rats by me take the pellets back to where they live and eat them, then die out of sight. I'm very careful about tray placement - I do have pets and other animals in the area. Typically the tray is empty within 24 hours, minimizing exposure time. And I pick them up immediately. That's the benefit with using D-Con. Results are pretty quick. But it's not for everyone.

Baby rats are the same size as mice and, dare I say, cute as heck. Here is a pic of one I found on my front walkway last year. The tail gives him away.
Attached Thumbnails Rodent got into my RX-get-attachment.jpg  
Old 02-16-15, 04:34 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

peanut butter as bait works good, put some on those sticky mouse traps.
Also, those mice love eating wire harness and fiber optics lines.
One time at work, I opened up a J-box and saw a little mouse chewing on the fiber optic line. He was so involved in chewing, he did not pay attention to me.

ken
Old 02-17-15, 05:15 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Baby rats are the same size as mice and, dare I say, cute as heck. Here is a pic of one I found on my front walkway last year. The tail gives him away.
It takes a special person to think of rats as "cute", Anita. I'm not surprised you do!
Old 02-17-15, 05:55 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts

budwom, the rats by me take the pellets back to where they live and eat them, then die out of sight. I'm very careful about tray placement - I do have pets and other animals in the area. Typically the tray is empty within 24 hours, minimizing exposure time. And I pick them up immediately. That's the benefit with using D-Con. Results are pretty quick. But it's not for everyone.

I understand. IF you absolutely know the rodents take the pellets elsewhere, this works fine.
I just know that mice find places to live in the garage and I've found pellets in all sorts of places, e.g. inside a gardening shoe I only use in the summer....and our dogs have access to these places.
Old 02-17-15, 09:00 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Woodrow
It takes a special person to think of rats as "cute", Anita. I'm not surprised you do!
Some people do have them as pets so I'm not alone. But once they get big, they are ugly as heck

Originally Posted by budwom
I understand. IF you absolutely know the rodents take the pellets elsewhere, this works fine.
I just know that mice find places to live in the garage and I've found pellets in all sorts of places, e.g. inside a gardening shoe I only use in the summer....and our dogs have access to these places.
I should mention I have a brook in front of my house. That's why I see them often. They go in and out of certain holes. I place the pellets inside. Maybe a mouse or chipmunk could get at it but rats can be very aggressive when it comes to food. I had to take down a bird feeder because they kept attacking the birds feeding underneath. A good reason why not to store bird food in the garage BTW. And that's the only time I break out the D-Con, when they become nasty or brave. Most times they stay out of sight. Like I mentioned before, I have other animals in the area, like ducks, fox and raccoons. I'd be heartbroken if they ate the pellets.

If the traps don't work, maybe it would be better to contact a professional. Or get a cat.
Old 02-17-15, 09:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks all for the responses. I haven't had any more activity since I put out the additional traps, so I'm just waiting and seeing how it goes. We've had some wonderful weather lately (sorry other half of the country) so it hasn't really been cold enough to drive them back inside yet.
Old 02-17-15, 12:41 PM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people do have them as pets so I'm not alone. But once they get big, they are ugly as heck

I should mention I have a brook in front of my house. That's why I see them often. They go in and out of certain holes. I place the pellets inside. Maybe a mouse or chipmunk could get at it but rats can be very aggressive when it comes to food. I had to take down a bird feeder because they kept attacking the birds feeding underneath. A good reason why not to store bird food in the garage BTW. And that's the only time I break out the D-Con, when they become nasty or brave. Most times they stay out of sight. Like I mentioned before, I have other animals in the area, like ducks, fox and raccoons. I'd be heartbroken if they ate the pellets.

If the traps don't work, maybe it would be better to contact a professional. Or get a cat.
12 gauge selective rodent weeding! LOL
Old 02-17-15, 12:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

^ A little excessive though some are so big I could put a saddle on them, LOL!

JDR, I'm glad the rodents seemed to have found a new place to hang out. And send some of that warm weather my way when you get a chance.
Old 02-17-15, 07:59 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the OP, what Lexus said and done and what your final decision?
Old 02-17-15, 09:17 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A rodent found a warm spot in the cold in my '99 RX. (None in the garage) It chewed many electrical wires! It took several days for them to fix it.
Old 02-27-15, 09:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The mice continue to just walk past the 4 D-Con bait stations, the 2 peanut butter baited mechanical traps, the 2 cheese baited traps, and the 4 traps baited with a specific mouse bait gel, and right into my IS and RX. Going to try the peppermint oil and Honda tape today. So frustrating!
Old 03-02-15, 07:39 AM
smcnair
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I put my boat into an inside storage location I put dryer sheets wherever a rodent could gain access to the boat. They do not like those. Put a dryer sheet on your cabin air filter if you think that is the entry point.
Old 03-02-15, 12:58 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default I have a $175 walnut...

...that some critter left in the shift linkage of my last car - which lodged in the shift linkage preventing the car from shifting into forward after I backed up out of a neighbors driveway (was turning around to return home for something I had forgotten). It cost $175 for the tow and diagnosis.

On another unrelated occasion, critters filled the mufflers/expansion chamber on my motorcycle with cellulose from the attic of the house AND filled the air cleaner of my diesel Suburban with same. Fortunately the air filter had a metal screen, or it could have been worse - they could have gotten into the intake manifold, because that airway is always open in a diesel engine.

Lastly, the critters used the mothballs that someone suggested to me that I put into the engine compartment of my garden tractor as pillows for their nest.
Old 05-03-15, 10:24 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse in A/C

Had bad odor in car the other day, about a week after service at Lexus dealer. (wasn't me - clean socks, freshly showered).

Pulled cabin filter and found dead mouse on the TOP side for the filter. I know it is not uncommon for rodents to take up residence in luxury autos-BUT where does the critter get into the ventilation / AC system. I would think that any air intake would have some screen to minimize access of unwanted items ( leaves, pebbles, snakes, mice).

Is there any thing I need to check?

Thanks
Old 05-03-15, 11:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

AZJoe, I've merged your thread with this one. Take a look through the posts for suggestion. I would recommend getting the A/C system treated. You can do it yourself or have the dealer handle it. Then maybe try some suggestions in here to keep them out. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rodent got into my RX