RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rodent got into my RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 07:29 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Comprehensive claim time...
I know but I really want my car to be replaced. How disgusted if you sit there. You can remove your memory.
Old 09-27-12, 09:20 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want the car replaced, just get it repaired and then trade it in. My Dad bought a car a few years ago and then decided he did not like it. He traded it in after a few weeks and got a new Lexus. I am pretty sure he lost several thousand on the deal. Sometimes you just have a little bad luck. My daughter and I were on a trip when a rodent chewed through one of her wiring harnesses in her ES. $1,100 repair. These things can just happen.
Old 09-28-12, 01:12 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UCSB
If you want the car replaced, just get it repaired and then trade it in. My Dad bought a car a few years ago and then decided he did not like it. He traded it in after a few weeks and got a new Lexus. I am pretty sure he lost several thousand on the deal. Sometimes you just have a little bad luck. My daughter and I were on a trip when a rodent chewed through one of her wiring harnesses in her ES. $1,100 repair. These things can just happen.
Yea they are still checking everything. I called the insurance company but just don't know to what extend they will allow the replacement. For example, do they allow the change of the carpet and the leather chair, since the leather chair has several chewed spots.
Old 09-29-12, 07:42 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This should make you feel a little better. Remember it can always be worse.....
Attached Files
Old 09-29-12, 09:54 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes life just throws us a curve ball that we can't hit. You can hardly expect Lexus to be responsible for it and it is unreasonable to expect them to pay for repairs. This is one reason I never park my car anywhere with the windows open, even in the garage. You'll be lucky if Lexus does a goodwill gesture on it to pay for some of it, but I wouldn't expect it.

Insurance may cover it, see what your policies say about it. Call your agent.

After getting it repaired you can always sell it if you don't want to drive it any longer. You'll take a hit financially but that's life.

I just can't see how you can expect Lexus to foot any part of this bill.
Old 09-29-12, 09:02 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel for you. It would drive me crazy knowing that it was inside, but I had one get under the hood and chew all the wires. It didn't show up until the day I picked up the car from being serviced and the check engine light kept coming on. Sadly I had never seen the light before and I didn't know what it was so I called them and brought it back. It took a week for them to replace everything. Who knows where or when the critter entered. Yes, they covered it including loaner.
Old 09-30-12, 05:54 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I say keep it one year and then trade it. Lexus resale value is pretty high. Even if you had leased the car for one year it would have cost you about $6,500.
Old 09-30-12, 06:42 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

That really sucks! But that's life. I would feel the same way u are, I say fix it and trade it.
Old 10-01-12, 09:21 PM
gentletony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevn86
That really sucks! But that's life. I would feel the same way u are, I say fix it and trade it.
Oh yea that's the life. Lexus agent said they will contact me in 2 days when I called them last Wednesday, but so far nobody contacted me yet.
Old 10-05-12, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

That sucks, dont get me wrong, but if a tree fell on your Lexus in the driveway, would you expect Lexus to replace it? That's essentially what happened, something bad happened to your car while it was in your possession. This is something your insurance company will cover...has nothing to do with Lexus.

Expecting your insurance company to replace the car is also unreasonable. They'll replace whatever has been damaged by the rodent, and give you the vehicle back.
Old 06-03-14, 10:00 AM
Hjrothrock
Driver School Candidate

Default Better than a mouse! Try a snake.

Sunday June 1st we had to remove a 5ft black snake from my RX350. No windows were down, doors had been closed, and sunroof not open. At the dealership Tuesday June 3rd and they cannot find and entry point. I think this vehicle has to go!

Originally Posted by gentletony
I don't know anyone here has the same bad experience as I have last week. I'd like to take any suggestion on how I should do.

I bought a 2013 RX350 late Aug. Two weeks I still feel some smell and I suppose that is because of new car. From last week, the smeall got stronger. Last weekend I looked around my car inside and foud the passenge seat, rear seat have some kind of broken spot and surprisngly I found half of the center rear seat belt was chewed. Consider the smell I have, I doubt the rodent got in, chewed my interior and died somewhere.

I drove immediately to the dealer and they told me they have to open all necessary equipment inside to find it. Finally today they told me that found it and it is underneath the central console. See pictures. I was told they have to remove all chairs and carpets to get rid of it and disinfect the carpet and the total charge will be about $1500 for labor plus the parts if found broken, like seat belt, chewed harness. They told me the rodent chewed the air filtler (See phone) , got into the car, chewed the leather chairs, seat belt and just can't get out and so died.

That is really to much ridicuouly and awful and disgusted. I even don't want to get this car back. It is brand new but everything interior has been opened and re-put together. And also the charge is ridicuouly high.

I called Lexus customer service today and the agent was also shocked. They filed a case for me but haven't got further reply from them.

What should I expect from Lexus and what should I request to Lexus? Is it possible I request to replace my car? I should blame the terrible design for the air filter which can't prevent small animals like rodent from getting into my car.

Any suggestion?
Old 06-03-14, 10:37 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for your plight. I had taken mine in for service but on the way home the check engine light came on. They found that a rodent had gotten in (winter) and chewed all the wires (not in passenger compartment)and made a nest! It took a week but they provided a loaner, fixed everything, and covered it under the warranty. However, this was 3 RXs ago. Maybe they're not so nice now. I have a great dealer and service.
Old 06-03-14, 11:37 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Having had rodent issues with past vehicles (and with an expensive air conditioning unit) I have found that a GREAT way to repel rodents from your garage is with peppermint oil (must be the real thing). I get roughly a pint (last two years or so) from Amazon for $40 or so, well worth it.

Funny thing is, while peppermint oil ads all tout its intended use as aromatherapy, EVERY single of review seems to be about its effectiveness vs. rodents. Soak some cotton ***** with it, leave them around the garage in the fall when mice enjoy getting inside. And if I'm going on a long trip, I'll put some cotton ***** inside the car, and even under hood. A few mouse traps in the garage wouldn't hurt either. All in all peppermint oil has saved me a whole lot of trouble.
The following users liked this post:
S65guy (12-12-22)
Old 06-03-14, 02:20 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
Having had rodent issues with past vehicles (and with an expensive air conditioning unit) I have found that a GREAT way to repel rodents from your garage is with peppermint oil (must be the real thing). I get roughly a pint (last two years or so) from Amazon for $40 or so, well worth it.

Funny thing is, while peppermint oil ads all tout its intended use as aromatherapy, EVERY single of review seems to be about its effectiveness vs. rodents. Soak some cotton ***** with it, leave them around the garage in the fall when mice enjoy getting inside. And if I'm going on a long trip, I'll put some cotton ***** inside the car, and even under hood. A few mouse traps in the garage wouldn't hurt either. All in all peppermint oil has saved me a whole lot of trouble.
That will not have an awful peppermint smell in the car?
Old 06-03-14, 02:21 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The question is where is the entry point for the mouse and snake? If the car is in the garage and the garage is close, there is a double security in there already. But how could an animal get into the car? The only think I can think of is under the engine. There must be an entry point in there somewhere.

Quick Reply: Rodent got into my RX