RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hesitation On Acceleration--2012 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 06:15 AM
mcdgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on acceleration

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Could be the ECU that needs a reset so it re-learns your driving pattern and hopefully hesitation is corrected. Has the dealer done that? if not, might be worth a try. Easiest way is unplug connections to the 12V battery and re-plug after a couple minutes.
I don't believe this to be the problem since I can not consistently duplicate the problem. Also, I have seen, "The ECU 'learning' ones driving style is pure myth."

Last edited by mcdgary; 03-31-14 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 06:21 AM
mcdgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CapeDave
A agree, great post. I seem to have this issue at one spot where it is an uphill right turn with a stop sign before turning right. Not really a T. More like a Y.

But I do notice some hesitation as the car does seem to stall, rather than be looking for gears. It is freaky. I am hesitant to floor the pedal as that would possibly LURCH me into traffic which could be a bad thing at that intersection.

I am going to pay very close attention. It may happen at other times but for whatever reason does not seem to be as noticeable.

I agree that this continual addition of gears which is really just another form of oneupmanship that is unnecessary at best is a TOTAL FREAK SHOW. Coming soon, 11 gear sedans to your garage

At my age a manual is out of the question, but maybe a Hybrid would be the answer?
CapeDave your 1st two sentences are exactly right on the money. In the many encounters I've had it was clearly a stall and engine is not reving up higher as I
apply more pedal.
Old 03-24-14, 09:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Would someone already try to take off on a stop sign, doing a hard right turn under full throttle?!! Preferably on wet pavement. Does the traction control engagement generate the same symptoms you're experiencing?

*VDIM-equipped RXs need not apply.
Old 03-27-14, 11:41 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an issue with my 2011 RX350 when rolling from a 50MPH and going WOT the car take 3 secs to respond.
The following users liked this post:
EazyLS460 (09-02-23)
Old 03-27-14, 02:14 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup my RX f-sport seems to have a minor hesitation problemon take-off as well. However,
I wonder if people with this issue are expecting the RX to perform like a sport car? I mean when I take a sharp right turn from a stop with my sport car and stomp on it, it will accelerate quickly in a fraction of a second because it's a freaking sport car.
But when I take a heavy SUV and do the same thing I don't expect the same behavior because it's heavy and it doesn't have the same horse power/weight ratio. I expect it to accelerate at a much slower pace. Unless the SUV is a Porsche cayenne turbo you can't expect it to instantly achieve speed.
Old 03-27-14, 02:20 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400
Yup my RX f-sport seems to have a minor hesitation problemon take-off as well. However,
I wonder if people with this issue are expecting the RX to perform like a sport car? I mean when I take a sharp right turn from a stop with my sport car and stomp on it, it will accelerate quickly in a fraction of a second because it's a freaking sport car.
But when I take a heavy SUV and do the same thing I don't expect the same behavior because it's heavy and it doesn't have the same horse power/weight ratio. I expect it to accelerate at a much slower pace. Unless the SUV is a Porsche cayenne turbo you can't expect it to instantly achieve speed.
My IS is a sports car. If I was to floor it in a turn with the traction on, it would leave me stranded with no power for 2 seconds. During that time, you can do whatever, it will just hang and do nothing. I resort to swearing and reaching for the trac off button.
Old 03-31-14, 05:21 AM
mcdgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DINH300
I have an issue with my 2011 RX350 when rolling from a 50MPH and going WOT the car take 3 secs to respond.
Thanks for your input. Sounds like what I experience at times. For example, I can recall rolling at ~50MPH and opted to pass the vehicle ahead. I eased over to the left (passing lane on 4 lane h'way) and once I was clearly in the passing lane, slightly behind the objective, I hit the pedal - Whoa! weird I'm in a stall for what seemed to have been ~2 seconds.
Old 03-31-14, 05:29 AM
mcdgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Would someone already try to take off on a stop sign, doing a hard right turn under full throttle?!! Preferably on wet pavement. Does the traction control engagement generate the same symptoms you're experiencing?

*VDIM-equipped RXs need not apply.
My experience several times has been a normal turn from a secondary street, e.g., leaving a residential neighborhood, turning onto a primary street, which has oncoming traffic. A slight acceleration, above normal, is sometimes required so you will not encumber the oncoming traffic. Thus, not a hard turn with WOT.
Old 08-03-14, 06:43 PM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accelerate/Hesitate/Move

Has been a good while since this Thread generated any new comments . One might think that
the problems might have been alleviated with the 2013-14 RX models but I still have my doubts..
Later this month, @ 10,000 miles, I will be making my 3rd trek to the dealer and once again my top 2 complaints still need to be addressed.
As in most of the posts in this Thread, my RX hesitates after accelerating out from a stop----
(the Tach. jumps upward) and shortly afterward we are in the next gear.
Not after every stop does this happen but if a turn is involved, you can almost count on it.
Actually, I have 2 intersections where where it happens close to 90% of the time.
One thing I have learned from this Thread is that I am not the Lone Ranger and I will inform
my Service Dept. accordingly..
Now, if someone could please come up with a Solution. I was told that my Lexus was a Luxury Vehicle.
Old 08-03-14, 08:17 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman6
Has been a good while since this Thread generated any new comments . One might think that
the problems might have been alleviated with the 2013-14 RX models but I still have my doubts..
Later this month, @ 10,000 miles, I will be making my 3rd trek to the dealer and once again my top 2 complaints still need to be addressed.
As in most of the posts in this Thread, my RX hesitates after accelerating out from a stop----
Not after every stop does this happen but if a turn is involved, you can almost count on it.
Actually, I have 2 intersections where where it happens close to 90% of the time.
One thing I have learned from this Thread is that I am not the Lone Ranger and I will inform
Now, if someone could please come up with a Solution. I was told that my Lexus was a Luxury Vehicle.
My new '04 Highlander did the same thing right out of the box. Back to the dealer. "Can't do anything about it." To another dealer, "We have a technical bulletin. We'll flash the transmission (computer?) and that should fix it." Yep. Right turns after a stop have been ok for about 10 years.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 08-04-14, 04:18 AM
mcdgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chazman6
Your comment exactly describes my experiences or problem. It's definitely a problem and one that we can't take the vehicle in to the dealer to demonstrate because it's happens more or less randomly. Keep us informed as you again visit the dealer,

Last edited by mcdgary; 08-04-14 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-14, 12:03 PM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

"My new '04 Highlander did the same thing right out of the box. Back to the dealer. "Can't do anything about it." To another dealer, "We have a technical bulletin. We'll flash the transmission (computer?) and that should fix it." Yep. Right turns after a stop have been ok for about 10 years.
Hope this helps."
Ray A.

RAY,

Thanks for the recollection of the Highlander Tech. Bulletin.
I can only hope that they have that info stored somewhere.
Too bad someone hasn't made the necessary changes/adjustments in the "build" process.
Old 08-04-14, 01:03 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdgary
I don't believe this to be the problem since I can not consistently duplicate the problem. Also, I have seen, "The ECU 'learning' ones driving style is pure myth."
not true. especially for the transmission.
Old 08-05-14, 08:39 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2013 F sport does the same thing. I am certain (in my mind) that it is a gear selection issue. when I slow down coming up on a stop sign or yield sign but don't totally stop and then push on the gas, the car simply doesn't do anything for 1-1.5 seconds. Then, once it downshifts, it takes off. The problem is fixed by using the paddle shifters and downshifting one or two gears....then no more hesitation. Even reviewers of the RX commented on the seemingly strange choice of gear for a given speed. For instance, I was going into work today (military base) and I had to slow down through the main gate- maybe to 15 mph. When I pushed on the gas, the car barely moved. So, I paddle shifted down one gear- the screen between the tach and speedo said the car was NOW in third gear. Now, this was AFTER the downshift, which meant that the car stayed in fourth gear despite me going down to 15 mph!!!!!

However, I have also noticed a somewhat alarming issue when I am at a complete standstill- like waiting to take a left turn onto a fast moving highway. If I stomp on the gas suddenly- all the way to the floor, the car will not move for at least 2 seconds. The engine won't even respond. Once the engine does, the car takes off and stays in first gear until almost redline. But I have been very scared a couple of times when I try to get the car to go when I see an opening, and the delay is so long that I fear by the time I get into the lane someone will rear end me. But....if I anticipate when I need to go and give the car just a little bit of gas, then floor it, no problem. The car takes off right away.

And to the person who commented that this is because the RX isn't a sports car- that is just hogwash. This is an issue with mapping of the tranny and the drive by wire setup. The honda odyssey we just go rid of didn't have this problem, and compared to that, my F sport IS a sports car. There is no reason we should be having these issues- no matter what brand of car it is.
Old 08-05-14, 08:59 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Yup. Hesitation is not the same as slow acceleration. So, the "sports car" theory does not hold water.

Quick Reply: Hesitation On Acceleration--2012 RX 350