RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Android phone & Lexus Enform

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 12:27 PM
pj1040
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android phone & Lexus Enform

I have a 2013 RX350 and a Droid Razr phone. In June the phone received the Ice cream Sandwich update and I haven't been able to access the apps(Bing, Pandora etc.) on my navigation system. I've taken the car into Lexus and it was determined the phone was the problem. The IT guy paired an iPhone, with my car, and everything worked fine.

I contacted Motorola and they said it is probably something in the Enform app that needs to be updated for the ICS phone update.

Anyone using Android Ver. 4.0.4 with a Build Date of Jun 14 2012 and having similiar problems?

Last edited by pj1040; 09-20-12 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-17-12, 04:41 PM
Fewman
Driver School Candidate

Just took delivery on a '13 RX350. Wife's LG55 works great (handsfree and Enform apps) but my Samsung Precedent won't even 'handsfree'. Both phones are "~mid" range Straight Talk androids. My expectations of a good phone is probably way less than 3/4 users here so simple streaming suits me fine. Lexus has some compatability data available out but there isn't alot of what I would call accurate. Also seems to be phone/carrier related but no data on 'non-contract' carriers.
I took a chance and ordered a $100 Straight Talk Huawei M865, which according to Lexus does it all.' Should have it in a week to try out....

Maybe we should survey phones in use with Enform here in a post that either work or doesn't.

Not that one would base a purchase of an automobile upon one's cell phone.....but one could spend alot of $ finding a compatable phone....
Old 12-18-12, 03:03 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears from the Enform web site, lots of incompatible features with all the different phones, AND carriers..... sheeeesh, I agree with posters above, hard to fathom Lexus has not shook out the bugs with the most popular selling phones by now...seems, Lexus went to bed with Apple..
http://www.lexus.com/MobileLink/?tab=enform

My question is, if you want itunes to play with all the controls on the Nav, can you use an ipod, as well as your phone (for phone only services).... or can only one device communicate with the Nav?
Old 12-18-12, 03:34 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

found answer on Enform web site...
Is Lexus Enform® compatible with tablets (e.g., Apple iPad®, Microsoft Xoom, Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab)?
No. Lexus Enform® is designed to work specifically with select smartphones.

Looking through the support pages, no phone is perfectly compatible...and it appears some of the most basic functions u would expect to work, are often not compatible...there is a 5-6 page printout of features showing which ones are compatible.... seems Lexus is always 5-7 yrs behind vs. the current electronics..
This is prob. where companies like Nissan and Ford have big advantages, they have the car volume to justify more R&D into the compatibility issues.
Hard to imagine u can not map out a trip on a PC and dump it down into Lexus Nav. This feature is avail on all cell phones via sites like telenav, and many low cost cars, including Nissan, and many others...
Old 12-18-12, 07:34 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Judy, Lexus does a pretty fair job of handling the most popular smart phones but you have to understand that the time between development of the systems in your car and implementation of them is usually 2+ years. These phones change models every few months to every year. Sometimes theycome out with something that just doesn't play nice with the cars currently on the road. My HTC EVO 4G LTE just changed it's entire operating system yesterday morning. Fortunately everything still seems to play nice with the car but sometimes that just doesn't happen. And it's not the fault of the car manufacturer if it doesn't. I'm hearing that there's a texting feature for new phones that aren't even on the market yet so they're trying to incorporate but not everyone is on the same page. Most apple and droid phones should pair well with the car but it's not a guarantee.
Originally Posted by Dolphin
found answer on Enform web site...
Is Lexus Enform® compatible with tablets (e.g., Apple iPad®, Microsoft Xoom, Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy Tab)?
No. Lexus Enform® is designed to work specifically with select smartphones.

Looking through the support pages, no phone is perfectly compatible...and it appears some of the most basic functions u would expect to work, are often not compatible...there is a 5-6 page printout of features showing which ones are compatible.... seems Lexus is always 5-7 yrs behind vs. the current electronics..
This is prob. where companies like Nissan and Ford have big advantages, they have the car volume to justify more R&D into the compatibility issues.
Hard to imagine u can not map out a trip on a PC and dump it down into Lexus Nav. This feature is avail on all cell phones via sites like telenav, and many low cost cars, including Nissan, and many others...
Old 12-19-12, 09:07 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Jim, I agree with most of what you write....
one of the downers with the mobile devices + car right now, is there seems to be no across - the - board standard protocols between phone makers and car makers. I assume this will eventually happen and make compatibility in the future more likely.

My point however, was the higher volume car makers have a big advantage in this area, as when you can amortize R&D costs over 5M cars vs. 500k cars, it enables higher volume makers to invest more in this area.... as lets face it, today, most of the <45 yo crowd is electronics obsessed.

Anyway, for me, I would have like to have seen the ability to download a pc created Bing Trip down to your cars Nav. Its much easier to work on your PC vs. the Nav....

Hey, it didn't bother me that much, cause I am taking delivery of a new RX350 next month, which had to be built in Japan, as I ordered every option, and the Canada plant was not capable of building it, go figure, huh.... 4 months lead time in case anyone wants all the options...
Old 12-23-12, 07:29 AM
bjwilson
Driver School Candidate

Default Android Phone & RX450h sync problem

I am having problems with the phone issue also. I have a HTC EVO 4G LTE and some of the cell phone & landline numbers are garbled, either 3 or 4 digifts and some 22 digits. Took to Lexus and they connected their cell phone to it ok. It is approved on Lexus site.

Guess I will just have to live with the problem for now. I have tried all kinds of things to fix it but to no avail.