RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Was able to open another car with Lexus key

Old 09-17-12, 09:40 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Presumably with the fob inside the vehicle I don't believe you can lock the doors, right?
At least three ways you can, 1) be inside the car with the fob, you can push the lock button on the fob and lock yourself and the fob in the car, 2) leave the fob in the car and lock the car with a 3-party "smartphone" application, 3) leave the fob in the car and use the key to lock the doors.

Yes, you should not be able to lock one fob in the car using the other fob.

My story is this: some friends, my wife and I were shopping for a Corvette for the friends after hours at a Chevy dealership. With my Lexus fob in my pocket, I walked up to a "presumedly" locked Corvette and the interior lights came on and I opened the door. My wife said, "stop messing around before you set off an alarm" and we left. Was the door locked? Don't know, did seem weird at the time.
Old 09-18-12, 05:33 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DunWkg
My story is this: some friends, my wife and I were shopping for a Corvette for the friends after hours at a Chevy dealership. With my Lexus fob in my pocket, I walked up to a "presumedly" locked Corvette and the interior lights came on and I opened the door. My wife said, "stop messing around before you set off an alarm" and we left. Was the door locked? Don't know, did seem weird at the time.
Hmmm. with all these stories, could it be that Lexus hold the Master Key?
Old 09-18-12, 08:12 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading somewhat about wireless key, they said that the code is "rolled" or "hopped" everytime the key is pressed. Meaning the code is changed. And the new code is stored in the receiver in the car. My question is how about the other fob? How does it know what the new code is? So many questions but I am glad the keyless entry system somewhat work most of the time.
Old 09-18-12, 08:13 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm guessing it was unlocked, cuz my car unlocks as soon as I move the shifter to park.
Old 09-18-12, 03:05 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

in medicine we have a saying, when you hear hoof beats, think horses and not zebras.

There's a lot of possible scenarios that can explain THIS incident.. some more obvious than what's being presented as someone's "discovery".

the other "RX looking car" must have been unlocked to begin with.
OR the driver has just parked and shifted the gear to Park.

i don't know how young/old the friend is ( the smart guy who borrowed the RX)..
but i keep scratching my head with his "discovery".
Anytime i Rent/ drive a car that's not mine, i always look at the plate number..
i memorize.. at least the last 4 digits. So there's no confusion when i am at the parking lot.
Old 09-18-12, 09:05 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Unlocking doors when shifting to park is a customizable setting. You can set it not to unlock when placed in park. (At least in a Lexus)

The other car just had two people sitting in an unlocked car.
Old 09-19-12, 09:15 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Venza? of course not.
Honda is the most stolen brand.. especially the civic.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rs-in-the-u-s/

this sounds as an urban legend to me sorry!
and the title of the thread is misleading..SERIOUSLY.

i wish the OP and his friend has spent an hour or two "trying" to open other cars/SUVs in the mall
before coming to a conclusion as ridiculous as this.
and unless the "friend" is Channing Tatum, who happened to be dressed as magic mike, i doubt that any woman/women in their right mind would laugh in this experience.

LOL!! "Unless the "friend" is Channing Tatum .... " You and I may be the only people on this forum that saw that movie,so I get it, I get it!!

On a slightly different note, I had a comical moment involving my RX a couple of months ago.
I had met a friend at a restaurant in town and after we finished dinner and were leaving the restaurant, I was walking toward my RX, and started to freak out a bit because I saw what looked like a large smudge or what looked like somebody had rubbed something up against the front driver's door and the rear driver's door. Okay. So I'm kind of cursing up a storm here after seeing this, and I go to open the door(which opened right away, but without a chirping sound, and I never leave my doors unlocked). But as soon as I opened the door, I realized it was not my RX! It had a light gray interior, although the exterior was the same color as my RX(Smoky Granite Mica)!

Of course, this RX was parked two rows down from my RX! I guess I got a little disoriented as to where my RX was. The fact the two cars were the same color didn't help. Needless to say, I was sooooo relieved that my RX didn't have that smudge/rubbed look on the side after all! I have to say that that other RX wasn't very well cared for like my baby!!