RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why Choose Lexus?

Old 09-11-12, 05:49 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Why Choose Lexus?

And now, from the lighter side of driving Lexus...

Who says advertising does not affect our buying decisions? Over the years I've seen a number of Lexus ads and slogans but what really stand out were the one that has a rolling marble, and the other is the one that has a musician playing a guitar inside a moving car. To top it all, the slogan, "In pursuit of perfection" is as intriguing to me now as it was the first time I saw it on TV/magazine.

On my last Mediterranean cruise in June, we had a few hours to visit Monaco and while touring the palace grounds, we saw Prince Albert being driven on a Lexus car!

So, those are my reasons for choosing Lexus What are yours?
Old 09-11-12, 07:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Between new and used, I've owned more cars than I am old in years. My 1st Lexus was the best car I ever owned. Now this one is even so much better than that .

I forgot to mention, one of my retirements was from the retail end of the car business here in Atlanta.
Originally Posted by sarhento

Who says advertising does not affect our buying decisions? Over the years I've seen a number of Lexus ads and slogans but what really stand out were the one that has a rolling marble, and the other is the one that has a musician playing a guitar inside a moving car. To top it all, the slogan, "In pursuit of perfection" is as intriguing to me now as it was the first time I saw it on TV/magazine.

On my last Mediterranean cruise in June, we had a few hours to visit Monaco and while touring the palace grounds, we saw Prince Albert being driven on a Lexus car!

Old 09-11-12, 07:16 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Because they are the most reliable car I have ever owned. Stuff like o2 sensors go out, but they never seem to strand, and they keep going and going and going and....
Old 09-11-12, 07:59 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking for my hybrid, the like's are too numerous to name and the dislike's have yet to exist.
Old 09-12-12, 03:59 AM
sarhento
Driver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68722608@N07/7979995570/http://www.flickr.com/photos/68722608@N07/7979995570/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/68722608@N07/, on Flickr

this is my first Lexus. Owned Honda, Nissan and BMW prior. So far, I am really enjoying the RX and looking forward to experiencing its reknown reliability first hand.

Last edited by sarhento; 09-13-12 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add image
Old 09-12-12, 12:01 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had 8 Lexus since 1993, with other brands mingled in between. I've returned to Lexus for these reasons: Value, Reliability, Customer Service (local & corporate), Consistency & Luxury. Sadly 2 of the most important qualities are eroding, in my opinion; Value and Customer Service (local & corporate). In Lexus' infancy it forced other luxury manufacturers to step up and improve quality and service. Most have done that while, from my experience, Lexus is sliding back. Might be time to move on next time.
Old 09-12-12, 02:57 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
I've had 8 Lexus since 1993 . . .
Mike, I was sure the plural of Lexus was Lexi (Lex - eye). I currently have 2 Lexi in the garage and I'm trying to talk my oldest daughter into a 3rd. Best vehicles I've owned; albeit, not as many as you or Jim! I would agree with luxury and that reliability appears better than any other vehicle I've owned.
Old 09-12-12, 03:43 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Mike, I was sure the plural of Lexus was Lexi (Lex - eye).:
John, maybe I should rephrase my sentence to read "I've owned 8 Lexus vehicles since....". I couldn't find the plural term for Lexus in the Owner's Manual either.
Old 09-13-12, 05:00 PM
sarhento
Driver

John, maybe I should rephrase my sentence to read "I've owned 8 Lexus vehicles since....". I couldn't find the plural term for Lexus in the Owner's Manual either.
WOW! 8 Lexus vehicles...talk about loyalty to the brand and I'm sure for intelligent/smart reasons. Toyota's luxury cars have been known to be very reliable and excellent ride. I hope they do something about their deteriorating customer service (perceived or otherwise). I had had 4 BMWs because of the dealer's 5-star customer service aside from the fact that I had been very happy with the vehicles - the 4 -year free repair and maintenance helped a lot too although I did not have any major repair work done except flat tires on two occasions. Driving a car for 4 years without any repair cost saved me a lot of money.

Last edited by sarhento; 09-13-12 at 05:01 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-13-12, 05:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I've had Toyota vehicles my entire life, that's not to say I haven't tried a few domestics, or german vehicles. But, I always keep coming back to Toyota/Lexus. IMHO, they are as reliable as luxury cars get. I'm Lexus for life. They have a nice balance between performance, luxury and value.
Old 09-14-12, 04:24 AM
sarhento
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Because they are the most reliable car I have ever owned... and they keep going and going and going and....
I've had 8 Lexus since 1993, with other brands mingled in between. I've returned to Lexus for these reasons: Value, Reliability, Customer Service (local & corporate), Consistency & Luxury..
Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I would agree with luxury and that reliability appears better than any other vehicle I've owned.
Originally Posted by hypervish
I've had Toyota vehicles my entire life, that's not to say I haven't tried a few domestics, or german vehicles. But, I always keep coming back to Toyota/Lexus. IMHO, they are as reliable as luxury cars get. I'm Lexus for life. They have a nice balance between performance, luxury and value.
Testimonials like these make me maintain a positive attitude that although I'm new in the Lexus family, I would be happy with my purchase decision. As was pointed out, their customer service may be eroding but I hope they'd do something about it quick. There's nothing like keeping your customers happy and satisfied.
Old 09-15-12, 10:46 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Ours had nothing to do with adverttising. I've had Toyota all my life. Their products sells itself.
Old 09-16-12, 12:36 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

My dad and his brothers had a lot of cars from porsche 914's to toyota celicas growing up, but their favorites were their supras and 4runners. We've had more 4runners, Supras, and Landcruisers then i can count or they can remember. In 1998 my dad bought a used ls400, in 01 he bought a brand new es. In 03 bought a 2001 lx, and in 08, bought a brand new RX. We've had them just because they are great cars. Myself, my mom and my dad, we all average about 35k miles a year and we need cars that can last and these Lexus' do the job. Next week i am hopefully picking up an older, but low mileage gs, and next year my dad is looking to pick up a new gs350. Most people i know who have lexus, always end up replacing it with another. Many who dont go the BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti route, but either end up coming back after a short time, or regretting their decision saying '"it just isn't the same".
Old 09-16-12, 07:16 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Lexus is not a Latin word, and if it were, it probably would not be fourth declension. Lex is Latin for "law," and the genitive (possessive) and the nominative plural is "Lexis." Lexis (with an "i") was taken by the "Lexis-Nexis" research service (Lexis for legal research, hence "laws," and Nexis for news research) who sued Toyota over the use of the name (prior to the car's introduction on the market); the court ruled that since the names were not spelled the same and since the commercial fields were so dissimilar, that there was no chance of confusion in the marketplace between the two products. (Toyota's argument was that if the Lexus turns out to be a terrible car, like the Edsel, then the name, even if spelled differently, would be ruined - I have a friend in advertising for Lexis who testified at the trial to this effect. "Lexus" and "Edsel" have never been uttered in the same sentence since then.)
Since Lexus is a made-up word, the plural would be made-up also. Despite the extra syllable, my observation is that the common usage of the plural is Lexuses.(If there were more than one nexus connecting my premise to my conclusion, then we would have nexuses.)
Of course, as always, I could be wrong. [note: seldom seen uttered here]

Last edited by tfischer; 09-16-12 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Delete references to a naked Kate Middleton.
Old 09-16-12, 08:08 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento

no ads for me but here were my thoughts, coming from sedan Mercedes benz (4 times), 2 volvo's XC90:
- very reliable mechanics
- proven technology for hybrid system,
- a car which is not show off car (like german cars)
- and few examples on the roads.

My former volvo car dealer is also the owner of Lexus and Toyota in my region, the garage being located over the road in front of the Volvo car dealer and since no volvo was available within 6 months, I went to Lexus but did not known many things about the car (March 2009). Simple story but very real.
I was more oriented for a car with high level of technology, excellent silence when driving and exceptional audio.
I asked for a drive test and was impressed by the silence and the Mark levinson quality first, the low/limited consumption, the comfort globally (a bit questionable on the RX Gen II however, for the seats, compared with Volvo xc90, or the xc70, one of the best seats within the automotive industry).
I had the opportunity to find a used one (1 year old) in March 2011.
After a short drive test, I was convinced that it was the vehicle I wanted: more space inside, better comfort with the seats (much better), more silently, "amazing" Mark Levison audio and always proven and high level of technology. Still very limited number of RX450h cars in France make current owners driving an exceptional cars.
And as Cruiter says, when putting all things (positive and negative) in a car for comparison, My 1st better car I ever owned.

Last edited by Alpy64; 09-16-12 at 08:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Choose Lexus?