RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350-13 VS GX460 -cargo space

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 06:11 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RX350-13 VS GX460 -cargo space

interested in replacing wife's sequoia to RX350 13 or Gx460...couple questions :

1. havent seen in person theRX350- 13 version yet, will soon, is cargo area comparable in size to gx line from what I'm hearing.
2. just saw ? asked about back seats fold flat...would be huge plus for RX.
3. Are there vents in rear area for a/c.

We are concerned about enough room to carry around our 2 golden retrievers.
After 1st week of owning sequoia we never had 3rd seat in...so thats not advantage , plus we dont pull anything.
any opinions are appreciated mainly with cargo space and funcionality of putting 2 dogs in back when needed.
Gx may be more practical....but $10-15k more
Old 09-03-12, 06:34 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Go here http://www.lexus.com/models/brochures/rx_brochure.html and you can d/l the brochure.
Originally Posted by JRey350hou
interested in replacing wife's sequoia to RX350 13 or Gx460...couple questions :

1. havent seen in person theRX350- 13 version yet, will soon, is cargo area comparable in size to gx line from what I'm hearing.
2. just saw ? asked about back seats fold flat...would be huge plus for RX.
3. Are there vents in rear area for a/c.

We are concerned about enough room to carry around our 2 golden retrievers.
After 1st week of owning sequoia we never had 3rd seat in...so thats not advantage , plus we dont pull anything.
any opinions are appreciated mainly with cargo space and funcionality of putting 2 dogs in back when needed.
Gx may be more practical....but $10-15k more
Old 09-03-12, 07:11 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Thanks Jim. Still hope someone out there has actually had both or can offer opinion of idea of putting 2 dogs in rear with back seats up . golden retrievers fwiw are not small dogs.
Old 09-03-12, 07:33 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well you know there's that truck commercial where the guy say's he take it if the dog likes it. So.... Wheel on down to the showroom with your pups and heft them into the rear of one.
Thanks Jim. Still hope someone out there has actually had both or can offer opinion of idea of putting 2 dogs in rear with back seats up . golden retrievers fwiw are not small dogs.
Old 09-03-12, 07:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The 2013 RX350 is listed at 40.0 cu. ft. of storage space behind the rear seats. The space is not optimal due to the sloped rear hatch. Personally, I would not put two large dogs back there for anything more than short trips. There are rear vents, however, not in the cargo area. Windows are tinted back there. You can fold the rear seats and they fold nearly flat. Slight rise. However, by doing so you block off any rear vents and would have to rely on the front vents to provide air circulation for the rear.

As for the GX, do not own one. In trying to look at its storage capacity it is hard to find appropriate values. They list a max cargo area with the seats down and that is somewhat greater than the RX. However, the GX does have a third row and there is no listing I can find which indicates the cargo area with just that folded down. With it up, there is very little space behind that last row.

Note that you are looking at two different classes of vehicle. The RX is more of a tall wagon, car based vehicle. The GX is body on frame, truck like vehicle with a bigger engine and hi/lo transfer case. The GX would compare to your Toyota Sequoia.

Are you looking to move into a luxury vehicle or are you just looking at options? If you are just looking for something smaller than the Sequoia you might look at the Highlander. The rear hatch area is more square and thus has slightly more cargo room than the RX.
Old 09-03-12, 08:38 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother has a Landcruiser ... pretty much the same as a GX. I borrow it when I want to haul things (was driving it last weekend). The Landcruiser is a much more useful vehicle when it comes to the back area. The RX is small compared to the useful space in the Landcruiser. A big part of this is the back window angle which greatly reduces what you can put in the cargo area of the RX. There are other differences also such as the ceiling height above the seats when they are folded down. The GX would probably be better for the dogs; I don't even think that you could put kennels in the back of the RX. But, I think that two dogs could just sit in the back area. These vehicles are significantly different and you need to go down and look at them carefully. The last time I looked at the GX, mileage was a complete joke. The Landcruiser gets less than 16 MPG ... sometimes much less.
Old 09-04-12, 06:58 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sequoia is the largest SUV Toyo makes so both RX and GX will be huge downsizing in space. floor space on both RX and GX is about the same but GX is taller and more upright compare to RX. For two large dogs, RX may be too cramped but if you are downsizing to gain some MPG, Highlander should be a better choice if you are comparing with RX.
Old 09-04-12, 07:43 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GX460 has a cargo capacity of 17.0 cu ft with the 3rd row folded flat and a total capacity of 34.4 cu ft with both 2nd and 3rd rows folded flat.
Old 09-04-12, 07:44 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

First of all, many thks for all the responses. Would definitely put back seat in upright position when we take them , at least one seat for sure. 95% of time its just wife/ I...Daughter away in College. . Not liken they go with us everywhere, but need that option to be available. also want to have Luxury feel in vehicle, I take very good care of current vehicles.
as most of you mentioned i need to go with tape measure, put seats up in both RX AND GX and see whats best fit for our family. Agree that w/o putting seats up its a no win situation, but we already nnkew that. Will update if needed.
Old 09-04-12, 07:57 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVRX
The GX460 has a cargo capacity of 17.0 cu ft with the 3rd row folded flat and a total capacity of 34.4 cu ft with both 2nd and 3rd rows folded flat.
VVRX , WITH THE Sequoia the 3rd row of seats come completely out, which is the only way we use veh. Do you know if the GX 3RD ROW comes out completely ? My wife likes the SUV drive but the gas mpg is bad. kind of torn between the 2 at moment but as severl have mentioned need to go and look at detail specs. Thks for input.
Old 09-04-12, 08:17 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VVRX , WITH THE Sequoia the 3rd row of seats come completely out, which is the only way we use veh. Do you know if the GX 3RD ROW comes out completely ? My wife likes the SUV drive but the gas mpg is bad. kind of torn between the 2 at moment but as severl have mentioned need to go and look at detail specs. Thks for input.
JRey350hou, I believe that the 3rd row only folds flat with no removal. For more info on the GX460 go to the search block of this forum and input GX460 cargo capacity. Everything you ever wanted to know about the GX can be found there.
Old 09-04-12, 08:50 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
My brother has a Landcruiser ... pretty much the same as a GX. I borrow it when I want to haul things (was driving it last weekend). The Landcruiser is a much more useful vehicle when it comes to the back area. The RX is small compared to the useful space in the Landcruiser. A big part of this is the back window angle which greatly reduces what you can put in the cargo area of the RX. There are other differences also such as the ceiling height above the seats when they are folded down. The GX would probably be better for the dogs; I don't even think that you could put kennels in the back of the RX. But, I think that two dogs could just sit in the back area. These vehicles are significantly different and you need to go down and look at them carefully. The last time I looked at the GX, mileage was a complete joke. The Landcruiser gets less than 16 MPG ... sometimes much less.
Those who are looking at a Landcruiser these days usually end up in the Lexus LX. Cost is not all that significant from what I hear. Thought the GX was based on the overseas Prado and was a bit shorter than the Landcruiser with drivelines similar.