RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx build quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 09:01 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kpham
im not upset im more disappointed. i havent had much time at all to go back to the dealer. i probably will go back this coming tuesday.

**** about our cars isnt quite the right term. its more like expecting what lexus advertises. we as owners should expect perfection

I pity the salesman that would sell you a Rolls Royce Phantom.......... It is the "Pursuit" of Perfection; NOT absolute Perfection in YOUR eyes!!

Last edited by dctex99; 09-01-12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-02-12, 08:07 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would be disappointed if this were my vehicle. It would appear that based on the problems that continue to appear on this forum, that so-called pursuit is headed in the opposite direction. I am no expert, but this would appear to be more about manufacture and less assembly, otherwise QA would have stopped this vehicle in its tracks.
Old 09-02-12, 09:49 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VVRX
...that so-called pursuit is headed in the opposite direction...
I'm not discounting the OPs problems at all and would have had an appointment set with my dealer to have them corrected faster than lightning. I also love my vehicles and expect a lot from them in every way, shape, and form -- especially luxury brands like Lexus -- but in more general terms, I'm careful to not draw conclusions of this brand going "backwards" based solely upon the threads I find here.

What is it that they used to say in the Customer Satisfaction training courses I took and put my people through in business for so many years? "For every 1 person that publicly talks about good experiences, there are 10 that convey bad ones", e.g. on forums like this, most of what we see is a lot of real issues, concerns, grumbling and chatter, than folks citing large and small great things about their ride. It's amazing to me the number of new posters that come on here to get help to resolve a question or problem (and then disappear) -- I doubt there are anywhere close to that number, that come on for no other reason than just to write about something good. Even in my recent thread on my 2013 first impressions, I think I only made one general statement about great "fit and finish", but went on-and-on about lots of other little things good and bad, and have posted way too many times about the lack of AFS on the 2013s. Given most of our nature, we'd probably drum constant "+1" sort of threads out of being and/or discount the poster if done too often without concrete facts behind it.

Best of luck to the OP on resolution to the problems he's found. I look forward to hearing about a positive resolution.

Last edited by BertL; 09-02-12 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Improved formatting
Old 09-02-12, 10:39 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Bertl, I continue to think that Lexus quality is the benchmark for others to follow and would most certainly consider them again, but I would like to see them address any issues that arise way before they get down to the level of the
customer.
Old 09-02-12, 03:07 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have the mirror scrapping issue along with the window switch trim gap. I made an appointment this week to have these items addressed. Has anyone else addressed these issues with their dealer? I'm not sure how they are going to fix the scrapping mirror... If they replace it with a new one, it's still going to have the same problem.

In regards to the build quality, I've owned many cars built in the US, Japan and korea, and have always found issues with them. So I guess there's no perfect car out there. Overall I still love the RX despite it having some issues.
Old 09-02-12, 03:12 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus_ls
I too have the mirror scrapping issue along with the window switch trim gap. I made an appointment this week to have these items addressed. Has anyone else addressed these issues with their dealer? I'm not sure how they are going to fix the scrapping mirror... If they replace it with a new one, it's still going to have the same problem.

In regards to the build quality, I've owned many cars built in the US, Japan and korea, and have always found issues with them. So I guess there's no perfect car out there. Overall I still love the RX despite it having some issues.
Mine does not scrape at all; if it did; I will take a Q-tip and a dab of synthetic grease and lube it; probably what they would do after buffing the paint/clear!!
Old 09-02-12, 03:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty nit picky stuff imo. No vehicle is perfect, ever, so expecting such is just setting yourself up for dissapointment . The manufacturers add to this expectation with their adveristing, but who takes advertising that seriously? I have two Lexus', one six years old, one two years old, both Japanese made cars. No squeaks or rattles in either of them and have not noticed any gaps or glitches with the hardware. I suppose I could go out on my 2006 IS and look for something that isn't fitting right but nothing pops out at me that I've noticed in day to day driving.
IMO there is a difference in the Canadian and Japanese cars .... it is cultural and that cannot be transported easily. It's subtle, but it is there.
Old 09-02-12, 06:59 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kpham
my mirror issue

door issue

Thanks for the pictures. I can report I don't have a trim problem with the switches. Also my car being black its very hard to see if it is scraping on the side mirror, I'll have to take a closer look.
Old 09-02-12, 08:09 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The scrape UNDER the mirror seems like an invisible problem. You won't even see this when the mirror is in it's normal position ... correct? The trim piece is close to normal (a little off, but not much). The base below the wood does not line up with the wood normally.
Old 09-02-12, 10:00 PM
kpham
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UCSB
The scrape UNDER the mirror seems like an invisible problem. You won't even see this when the mirror is in it's normal position ... correct? The trim piece is close to normal (a little off, but not much). The base below the wood does not line up with the wood normally.
invisible problem when open? yes. but with use over time as these mirrors have the auto fold feature when locked it will be a visible problem and can possible get worse over time.

regarding the wood piece it has a loose feeling to it. passenger side does not have any of these issues.

i will be bring these issues to the attention of the dealer and problem should/ will be solved sometime this week when i get a chance
Old 09-03-12, 05:51 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Consumers have the right to, and should demand the best of what they purchase ,within reason of course. Truth in advertising should be taken seriously because as we do both parties benefit.
Old 09-03-12, 06:21 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Originally Posted by sarhento
Consumers have the right to, and should demand the best of what they purchase ,within reason of course. Truth in advertising should be taken seriously because as we do both parties benefit.
I do agree with the statement above. To those who say people are picky, then i guess spending 50k on a car....is just money right? Some lease their RX's who probably wouldnt care, and some who are owners plan to keep theres for a very long time-to them its an investment. If Lexus clams to follow the motto, then we as consumers hold that to the upmost standard. If you just want a "vehicle" then just get the Toyota brand, better yet a Honda. Dont get me started with these issues, b/c i can...
Old 09-04-12, 01:13 PM
kingston11
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the pics! My 2013 RX shows the same thing. However, my interior is black and the gap isn't as noticeable (but still there...only on the front doors, btw--my rear doors look perfect). The side view mirror paint is scraping and showing the same exact thing as in the pics. Let me know what your dealer does for you.
Old 09-06-12, 02:31 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

So I took my car in today for the mirror issue and the tech told me that it is normal operation. I told him this can't possibly be normal, why would it be scratching off the paint? He decided that they will replace it one time only because it has low miles (1,000) but told me the replacement will probably do the same. Lexus needs to increase the gap so that the mirror has space to turn freely.
Old 09-06-12, 03:29 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus_ls
So I took my car in today for the mirror issue and the tech told me that it is normal operation. I told him this can't possibly be normal, why would it be scratching off the paint? He decided that they will replace it one time only because it has low miles (1,000) but told me the replacement will probably do the same. Lexus needs to increase the gap so that the mirror has space to turn freely.
Increase the gap by removing some of the paint! I have one scraping and will polish off some paint this weekend; even 10/1000 will probably be enough; if not, some Synthetic Grease that will not bother paint and won't even get hit by the car wash as the mirror is in position when going thru that!! It is a fine line whether it scrapes or not; one with thinner paint probably will NOT scrape at all!

Last edited by dctex99; 09-06-12 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 rx build quality