RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Your thoughts on interface to Audio and Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 05:04 AM
saz25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on interface to Audio and Navigation system

Hi,
We are considering a 2013 RX-350 or RX450h. We've just driven the 450h. I have a question for those current owners.

How do you like the interface (i.e.: the joy stick) to the navigation, audio and other systems via the large display?

Is its cumbersome? Does it cause problems when driving? I've never seen a vehicle with such a joy stick interface. Is this new starting this year or did previous years RX have this?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated as this is a factor in my purchase selection as I am comparing other SUVs.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-16-12, 05:55 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to think touch screen was the best -- had it in most of my previous Lexus. ...but, the new controller on the 2013 is really good and intuitive after a bit of use. Touch screen isn't realistic as future models receive larger screens, and it allows the designers more flexibility in placement of the display so it can be further away from the driver (as it is with the 2010-3) sitting well back into the dash to avoid reflection/visibility problems in the sun. I found it's important to easily change the haptic feedback settings so the cursor "sticks" more easily to available buttons as you move it around -- that eliminates the complaints you'll find from some others, especially with the 1st gen controller that didn't give the same sort of physical feedback when moved. I never have to look at it, after just a day or so of use. I'm sold.

Note the remote controller in the 2013 RX is the 2nd gen Lexus version -- 2010-12 models have the 1st gen which has a different feel and feedback. There is a definite improvement with the 2nd gen. Hopefully others that may respond to your post will be clear which version they are talking about. You'll find the controllers in nearly all current Lexus models and I don't see Lexus going back to touch screen. Other brands such as BMW have had their version of "haptic controllers" for years -- mine did back in 2008, so this isn't really new to the automotive industry, just "new" to Lexus in the past few.

Good luck on your exploration of the RX! Hope to have you as part of the family one day!

Last edited by BertL; 08-16-12 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-12, 01:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Steve,
Is its cumbersome? Does it cause problems when driving?
No, I do not find the remote touch cumbersome nor does it cause problems from me when driving. I pretty much ignored Lexus until I saw a 2010 RX sitting in a lot and the shape caught my eye, but when I sat in the seat and put my hand on the remote touch I knew this was the car for me. It just made sense to me not to have to lean forward and punch a screen or fiddle with a ****/switch/slide lever. The height, shape and function of the remote touch just felt comfortable...natural.

I have the first generation remote touch which a little different than Bert's second generation and I have the smaller screen. So I'll call it muscle memory, but I know where the menu items are located on the screen and can get pretty close to the icons just with the feedback from the joy stick. So I spend less time looking at the screen. For me going from generation one to generation two will take some getting used to. You would be going straight to generation two, so just a small/short learning curve for you.

My only requested improvement would be a voice command button down with menu, up/down arrows and map buttons at the remote touch. It should also be noted for you, the arrow buttons don't just zoom in and out on the navigation map, but also scroll in the menus with up and down scrolling.

Last edited by DunWkg; 08-16-12 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-16-12, 02:15 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After you use the system for a while, you will like it. My highest usage is in the audio portion of the system. You can place many XM Sat radio station on a single screen and immediately click between them ... couldn't be easier. You can use the controller from your normal driving position quickly. Also, remember you have voice control with the system. This allows you to do many things, like pausing navigation, with just short voice commands. There are buttons on the steering wheel for many common functions also ... like answering your phone, audio control, etc.

Just a little warning: when you first start using the system, don't take your eyes off the road for long periods of time. You are driving a car; not operating a computer system.

Last edited by UCSB; 08-16-12 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-16-12, 04:20 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Just a little warning: when you first start using the system, don't take your eyes off the road for long periods of time. You are driving a car; not operating a computer system.
+1

I would suggest practice with the remote touch while parked is a benefit too.
Old 08-16-12, 04:54 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a 2008 Rx400h (touchscreen) to a 2013 Rx450h (2nd gen controller). It took me only a day or 2 to get the hang of using the controller. Since you can "feel" where it's going I mostly don't have to look at the screen to know I'm on the Apps button. I'm trying out Pandora for the first time and it's kinda cool - haven't used it before. Pandora and HD Radio (both free) may be alternatives to XM Radio. I also have a fair bit of music on my iPhone.

I drove an RX350 (1st gen controller) not long ago and thought the controller was a bit awkward after using the 2nd gen but it's likely because I was just used to the newer one.

I do use the voice interface for calling people while driving. It takes longer to do thru the string of commands because the system echoes back everything and you have to verify that it got it right.
Example:
You say: Call John Jones home
It echoes back: Call John Jones, home
It then displays John's contact numbers on the screen. If it's only 1 number
You can say: Dial
It echoes back: Dial
and it dials the number. Somewhere in there you also have to say Yes to one of those commands and it repeats: Yes. And I have the long prompts turned off. But it does work most of the time. I have a bit of a problem getting it to understand me when driving on the freeway, perhaps due to noise. The screen displays the possible commands at each step so you know what you can or can't say on that screen. Once you're used to the sequence you never have to look at the screen.

Bottom line: it's a great system and I rate it 8 out of 10.

As to Navi, I would rate the in-vehicle system average. Like most nav systems it will sometimes take you around the block when it could have told you to just turn left. I have actually entered addresses verbally and it really works. I've also gone to the Lexus Drivers website and entered a bunch of eDestination addresses that I use a lot, which is easier than entering them into the vehicle. I think you can have 200 destinations in as many as 20 folders. I have folders for Business, Restaurants, Family, etc. You can do all this on the website, then you push it to the vehicle. Pretty neat! (Do people still use that word??) I've never had that little piece of functionality before.

There's also Destination Assist (like OnStar Directions on GM). I've used it once or twice when I couldn't think of how to describe what I wanted via verbal commands. They verify what you want and download the route to your vehicle. Nice.

Overall I'd give the whole Navi experience 9 out of 10 because of eDest and Dest Assist.

Good luck with your decision. I'd also add that my 2013 Rx450h AWD is the best, nicest riding vehicle I've had so far. I'm still trying to push the MPG after 3,000 miles but for the last 2 fillups I've averaged about 30.4...again, not bad for a CUV!
Old 08-16-12, 07:25 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Don't forget eDestinations can be added/modified/deleted via a phone or tablet too with the Lexus applications.

I too use Destination Assistance all the time. You get the phone number from them too.

(John, try setting "Voice Recognition Prompts" to off, may help with command echoing. Without going out to my car I think that helps. I could be wrong too.)
Old 08-16-12, 07:31 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

John, you can make it better and eliminate a step, I do it all the time. When it say's "Call John Jones" at that point go ahead and press the switch again, it will tell you to press the dial button w/o going through the next repetition. Just one step less
Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I went from a 2008 Rx400h (touchscreen) to a 2013 Rx450h (2nd gen controller). It took me only a day or 2 to get the hang of using the controller. Since you can "feel" where it's going I mostly don't have to look at the screen to know I'm on the Apps button. I'm trying out Pandora for the first time and it's kinda cool - haven't used it before. Pandora and HD Radio (both free) may be alternatives to XM Radio. I also have a fair bit of music on my iPhone.

I drove an RX350 (1st gen controller) not long ago and thought the controller was a bit awkward after using the 2nd gen but it's likely because I was just used to the newer one.

I do use the voice interface for calling people while driving. It takes longer to do thru the string of commands because the system echoes back everything and you have to verify that it got it right.
Example:
You say: Call John Jones home
It echoes back: Call John Jones, home
It then displays John's contact numbers on the screen. If it's only 1 number
You can say: Dial
It echoes back: Dial
and it dials the number. Somewhere in there you also have to say Yes to one of those commands and it repeats: Yes. And I have the long prompts turned off. But it does work most of the time. I have a bit of a problem getting it to understand me when driving on the freeway, perhaps due to noise. The screen displays the possible commands at each step so you know what you can or can't say on that screen. Once you're used to the sequence you never have to look at the screen.

Bottom line: it's a great system and I rate it 8 out of 10.

As to Navi, I would rate the in-vehicle system average. Like most nav systems it will sometimes take you around the block when it could have told you to just turn left. I have actually entered addresses verbally and it really works. I've also gone to the Lexus Drivers website and entered a bunch of eDestination addresses that I use a lot, which is easier than entering them into the vehicle. I think you can have 200 destinations in as many as 20 folders. I have folders for Business, Restaurants, Family, etc. You can do all this on the website, then you push it to the vehicle. Pretty neat! (Do people still use that word??) I've never had that little piece of functionality before.

There's also Destination Assist (like OnStar Directions on GM). I've used it once or twice when I couldn't think of how to describe what I wanted via verbal commands. They verify what you want and download the route to your vehicle. Nice.

Overall I'd give the whole Navi experience 9 out of 10 because of eDest and Dest Assist.

Good luck with your decision. I'd also add that my 2013 Rx450h AWD is the best, nicest riding vehicle I've had so far. I'm still trying to push the MPG after 3,000 miles but for the last 2 fillups I've averaged about 30.4...again, not bad for a CUV!
Old 08-17-12, 11:02 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
John, you can make it better and eliminate a step, I do it all the time. When it say's "Call John Jones" at that point go ahead and press the switch again, it will tell you to press the dial button w/o going through the next repetition. Just one step less
Thanks, Jim. I will try that on the way home tonite!
Old 08-17-12, 02:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

(John, try setting "Voice Recognition Prompts" to off, may help with command echoing. Without going out to my car I think that helps. I could be wrong too.)
I was wrong.
Old 12-24-12, 11:42 AM
CRH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash changes not necessarily user-friendly?

I was ready to buy my 3rd Lexus RX, the 2013, until I rode in one with a friend. I'm concerned about the joystick taking too much attention from the road, and also the trip info screen was missing. That screen tells me almost everything I need to know at a glance in my 2009. And what happened to the compass in the rearview mirror? Such a simple, handy tool. I was disappointed, and I understand that 2014 will not change the dash controls. Changes that are not user-friendly improvements are so frustrating. Then, there is the bulky console taking up floorspace for my bag....
Old 12-25-12, 07:52 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its pretty damn good. At first it was a nightmare, couldnt use it at all while driving but with practice it gets easier. Had the car for a month now and its very very easy to use now. After previously owning a BMW and an Audi, I can say that the Lexus remote touch is much much easier to use. Not too many screens to navigate through and everything is pretty much set out perfectly.
Old 12-25-12, 07:52 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by CRH
I was ready to buy my 3rd Lexus RX, the 2013, until I rode in one with a friend. I'm concerned about the joystick taking too much attention from the road, and also the trip info screen was missing. That screen tells me almost everything I need to know at a glance in my 2009. And what happened to the compass in the rearview mirror? Such a simple, handy tool. I was disappointed, and I understand that 2014 will not change the dash controls. Changes that are not user-friendly improvements are so frustrating. Then, there is the bulky console taking up floorspace for my bag....

My car has a compass in the rear view mirror, as did the 2013 loaner I got. According to the Lexus Press document, it's standard. The Remote Touch controller is very intuitive. There is a pass through under the console for your bag.

Trip info? What info are you looking for? There are a number of different displays you can call up on the small screen between the gauges.
Old 12-25-12, 08:17 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by panyo64
My car has a compass in the rear view mirror, as did the 2013 loaner I got. According to the Lexus Press document, it's standard. The Remote Touch controller is very intuitive. There is a pass through under the console for your bag.

Trip info? What info are you looking for? There are a number of different displays you can call up on the small screen between the gauges.
I thought that the compass in the rear view mirror was only available if you didn't opt for the Navigation System.
Old 12-25-12, 08:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

My '10 with nav shows direction in the rear view mirror. I believe Lexus dropped it in '11. I'm not sure about non-nav equipped RXs. The trip information screen was from the 2nd gen. That displayed miles traveled, mileage and time elapsed from the time the RX was turned on until it was turned off. It was convenient to see the details in real time. I used it on the 330, not that much though.

Regarding remote touch, it is a vast improvement from touch screen and easy to use after a few days as has already been mentioned. Plus Lexus locks out certain functions so the focus stays on the road. There's always voice commands to get around it. I agree, the big void under the console is a waste. I put my bag on the passenger seat. It's still well within reach.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on interface to Audio and Navigation system