RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Toyota service question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-12, 06:09 AM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
For anything other than routine maintenance I'd go to the Lexus store. But what the (h) needs mostly is just oil change's, tire rotations, and a look underneath. For that part it's the exact same work they do on the Highlander (h). Nothing too hard or complicated at all. And now they're entering it into the Lexus data base for me. For 1/2 the price or less, I'll forgo the latte and just play with my iPad for an hour checking in here.
I agree. And with that in mind. for a routine oil change there is nothing wrong with Jiffy Lube or another such company. But for more complicated stuff, including periodic inspections, a Lexus dealership is probably the better way to go. Again, an extra 25 miles isn't all that far, right?
Old 08-17-12, 06:38 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRon
As Lexus owners know, Lexus dealers tend to be a bit different and in a good way.
Since we are all lexus owners, i stil can not vouch for any dealership, whether it is BMW, Jaguar, Audi, etc when it comes to an appraisal, finacing rate(s), or even warranty work. They will try to cut corners to save cost long-term. IMO, i try to be prepared for worst case scenarios, i mean that is why they are called "stealerships". If you read the stories here on the forum when it comes to fighting with dealers on a number of issues, its horrendous! To me, every dollars count whether its giving/recieving and I had to learn it the hard way. And Ron, i hope my post didnt seem like an ulterior motive, that is not my character. Good luck with everything Ron!

Last edited by StLucchese; 08-17-12 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-17-12, 09:42 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NCRon
I agree. And with that in mind. for a routine oil change there is nothing wrong with Jiffy Lube or another such company. But for more complicated stuff, including periodic inspections, a Lexus dealership is probably the better way to go. Again, an extra 25 miles isn't all that far, right?
Please do not compare Jiffy Lube to Toyota. Toyota after all is Lexus and IMO to utilize their service whenever possible is the smart and prudent thing to do.

Last edited by VVRX; 08-17-12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 09:47 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it should be pointed out these Gen III engines run on a pretty special low friction 0w20w synthetic oil that the general Jiffy lube doesn't have. Plus the filters are different. It's probably best to either change it yourself (if you have the tools and access to a lift), use Toyota, or Lexus.
Originally Posted by VVRX
Please do no compare Jiffy Lube to Toyota. Toyota after all is Lexus and IMO to utilize their service whenever possible is the smart and prudent thing to do.
Old 08-19-12, 08:48 AM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StLucchese
Since we are all lexus owners, i stil can not vouch for any dealership, whether it is BMW, Jaguar, Audi, etc when it comes to an appraisal, finacing rate(s), or even warranty work. They will try to cut corners to save cost long-term. IMO, i try to be prepared for worst case scenarios, i mean that is why they are called "stealerships". If you read the stories here on the forum when it comes to fighting with dealers on a number of issues, its horrendous! To me, every dollars count whether its giving/recieving and I had to learn it the hard way. And Ron, i hope my post didnt seem like an ulterior motive, that is not my character. Good luck with everything Ron!
No offense taken. And I realize that the woods are full of unethical, dishonest car dealers. But I also realize that not all dealers are that bad. The trick is to find a good, ethical dealer. Lexus tends to have a disproportionate share of that kind, as reading this forum will quickly show. I think Lexus has worked hard to build a dealership lineup that is several cuts above the norm. But if we customers continue to treat all of them as if they are dishonest, unethical and prone to thievery we only discourage those who dare to be different. There are bad apples in every barrel but that doesn't mean we should consider every apple bad. Likewise, if we walk into a room looking for a fight we are likely to find one.
Old 08-19-12, 10:03 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VVRX
Please do not compare Jiffy Lube to Toyota. Toyota after all is Lexus and IMO to utilize their service whenever possible is the smart and prudent thing to do.
And in California, Jiffy Lubes are constantly being busted for NOT putting in the right oil, or charging for Trans flushes, and the machines never move!! Look up Jiffy Lube on Youtube sometime; they are one of the stars....lol.
Old 09-06-12, 08:52 PM
Schtev1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota service

I too am about 25 miles from a Lexus dealer, and 5 min away from Toyota. The service manager at Toyota chuckled when he saw my records and the charges from Lexus. Apparently most Lexus owners out my way service thier cars at the Toyota dealer for a fraction of the cost and no long drive. The Lexus $140 service was $54 at Toyota (basic oil, filter, lube, checks, top fluids). It may not be as snooty a dealership, but the service was excellent and the price right.
Old 09-07-12, 12:24 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Schtev1
I too am about 25 miles from a Lexus dealer, and 5 min away from Toyota. The service manager at Toyota chuckled when he saw my records and the charges from Lexus. Apparently most Lexus owners out my way service thier cars at the Toyota dealer for a fraction of the cost and no long drive. The Lexus $140 service was $54 at Toyota (basic oil, filter, lube, checks, top fluids). It may not be as snooty a dealership, but the service was excellent and the price right.
Welcome to Club Lexus, Schtev1.

I, too have taken advantage of a local Toyota dealership for service work on my RX. It was closer, the waiting area for service was on par with local Lexus dealerships, they ran a shuttle to the local mall or resort, or I could take advantage of their Express Lube service and be in and out in under 30 minutes. I never felt I was short changing my RX. Same oil, same filter, same level of expertise, and perhaps even nicer people. The only thing I was not getting was a car wash out of the deal. But as you have seen, you can treat your ride and yourself to quite a few extras with the dollars you have saved. Besides, at my local Lexus dealerships if your service is not 2 hours or more in length you are not always eligible for a loaner. I was told once I could get a loaner, however, I would have to wait some 3 weeks for a service appointment. Was not worth the hassles.

There may be some discussions elsewhere talking down to individuals who buy an expensive vehicle and then "cheap out" by not taking it to the dealership when it comes time for service. As you have probably read, you do not see much of that here. Everyone's situation is a bit different and in your case the Toyota dealership works best for you. For warranty work you will most definitely need to make the trip to your Lexus dealer.

Also, take some time to sign up at the My Lexus site and update your service records there as needed.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do