RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-09-15, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Huge hidden storage area(S) in console and other hidden storage areas

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 04:51 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...unfortunately you don't have one of the little mid-life tweaks that came with the 2013. Look at it this way, I may have the 2013 with a little pizazz that your 2012 does not, but we both have the same fine underlying gen 3 vehicle, and you'll probably be looking for a replacement before me and on the boards here with something I'm envious about. It's all OK when we own an RX that was right for us at the time.
Old 08-15-12, 07:14 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bert, where were you when I needed a psychologist ??? But now I'm glad you're retired also and have time to pitch in here
Originally Posted by BertL
...unfortunately you don't have one of the little mid-life tweaks that came with the 2013. Look at it this way, I may have the 2013 with a little pizazz that your 2012 does not, but we both have the same fine underlying gen 3 vehicle, and you'll probably be looking for a replacement before me and on the boards here with something I'm envious about. It's all OK when we own an RX that was right for us at the time.
Old 08-15-12, 08:30 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like to try and keep perspective, as well as give back to this forum when I can. Be happy I know better than go into my "Mother Hen" mode here. Ah ha ha.
Old 08-19-12, 11:55 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

The center arm rest when u lift out the black box thing my sisters hide so much stuff in there, mostly to hide it from my grandma as she thinks we spend way to much money...lol
Old 08-20-12, 07:09 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Those are some really nice improvements or access points on the 2013 and maybe the 2012. On my early 2010, I can pull out the bin and reach forward but that's it. Nothing but smooth plastic walls. But I have a nice overhead sun glass holder
I don't. Because there was clearly no better place for the SOS button. Y'know, a tiny button that could have been placed anywhere, but was placed in the CENTER OF A PANEL TEN TIMES ITS SIZE.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
JATS (11-04-19), raygunclan (11-20-18)
Old 08-20-12, 11:07 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
I don't. Because there was clearly no better place for the SOS button. Y'know, a tiny button that could have been placed anywhere, but was placed in the CENTER OF A PANEL TEN TIMES ITS SIZE.
I agree! I don't either! Stupid SOS button!
Old 08-22-12, 02:51 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I keep my gold and cash in that cavity. Oh... And a pool of starving pirhana so be careful
The following users liked this post:
cory143 (10-04-19)
Old 04-10-16, 05:34 AM
SHH92957
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if these hidden compartments are also located in the 2015 RX350? I just purchased my RX and am still exploring it's features. Was told about a small hidden compartment within the console, next to or behind the USB plug but not sure how to open it and don't want to break anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, wish I knew about Club Lexus years ago as I have been driving the LS since they first came out. Leased two and purchased my last one. Finally had to put my beloved 2002 LS430 to rest and transitioned over to the RX. Looking forward to my new life driving an SUV.
Old 04-10-16, 06:41 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHH92957
Does anyone know if these hidden compartments are also located in the 2015 RX350? I just purchased my RX and am still exploring it's features. Was told about a small hidden compartment within the console, next to or behind the USB plug but not sure how to open it and don't want to break anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My 2015 has it. I believe there is a finger hole that allows you to open a cover, but I'll check later this morning. I believe there is a pass-thru, so you can run a wire from the console down to the area under the console (between the driver and passenger floor).
Old 04-10-16, 08:19 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Take everything out of the console so you can see.
There are two hinged doors, nothing to break.
The floor is hinged and the forward wall is hinged.
The forward area is the size of the manual(s) binder.
The binder fits correctly if you put it in as if you were putting a book on a shelf in the library.
Then close the 'forward' door and you still have the area beneath the false floor for other small items.

(If you just purchased your RX you probably won't want your manual in that location for another six months)
Old 04-10-16, 11:01 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

I messed with mine. I believe the key is you have to flip up the bottom divider before you can open the forward cover.
Old 04-10-16, 03:55 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NateJG
Among the little treasures that I keep in there is the towing eyelet (the one that screws into the front bumper area), since surely if I ever need to have it pulled onto a flatbed, it will be when the car is piled high with luggage, with the bike rack in the towing receiver (for my car, it's factory stored under the floor covering and ahead of the battery).

Oh, and I also keep the lug nut key and a motorcycle-sized jumper cable to top off the battery from under the hood if needed (again).

2013 450h
Thanks for the reminder. I see 'locking lug nuts' on my list of options, but I haven't seen them. Guess I'll dig around near the spare.
Old 01-06-19, 09:31 AM
RoadDawg
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You pre-2014 folks have all the mojo up front. Can't see how someone could do ANYTHING on the current grill. So keep it up, you show-offs! :-))
Old 03-27-19, 11:33 PM
wgregt
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default compartment? huh?

Which year model is this secret compartment on again? And you are talking about the console between the front seats, correct? Fotos anyone?

-greg
new 2010 RX350 owner

Originally Posted by MachineMan
The manual shows that if you reach down to the bottom of your console there is a pull tab for a door revealing a compartment underneath. I do not recall the manual showing that you can also lift both sections of the console door out making for a bigger access. Now here is where it really gets big ... reach your right arm down and forward another 11" and you can almost touch the inside front of the console .... NOW if you look close you will see ANOTHER door that flips sideways giving you additional vertical access. NOW look closer yet .. there is a large tapered slot so that you can place large items like a small laptop or notebook computer into the console. I measured that is actually wide enough for 7 Ipad2 tablets plus all kinds of additional storage behind them towards the rear. That lower compartment s actually 4-1/2" wide x 9" tall x 16" deep (front-back).

Don't forget about the 3 lower storage areas in the trunk plus I found that you can wrap jumper cables around the spare tire and store the ends in a nice big space at the right rear of the spare area.

I see that the cup holder dividers also remove to either allow for cleaning or enlarge the compartment for sunglasses.

There is also a small partially depressed tray like for a smaller umbrella to be stored at the leading edge of each ront seat.

If you find another hidden storage area (door pockets that we do not all know about) I'll buy you a XL coffee.
Old 03-28-19, 10:23 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by wgregt
Which year model is this secret compartment on again? And you are talking about the console between the front seats, correct? Fotos anyone?
The console box change occurred for the 2013 model year. 2010 to 2012 has the removable tray and removable box. 2013 added the partitions to get at more of the space underneath the console. '12 and '13 manual snips showing the diff.

Quick Reply: Huge hidden storage area(S) in console and other hidden storage areas