RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Show me your phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 07:51 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airboss
May have to get one of these. Unfortunately, I keep my phone in a plastic case.....
ikross supplies 2 different magnets, 1 is peel and stick, the other is very thin and goes between the phone and a case (which is the one I use).
Old 07-22-16, 07:57 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
It might work well too.

I just don't want to put a "sticky" thing on the dash.

Also I think the vent can serve to "cool" the phone when WAZE is running since the WAZE app tend to heat up the phone a lot.
I know what you mean about a sticky thing on the dash, but I had to give in. I did discover (because I didn't like the first place I put it), that it peels off very cleanly.

Coincidentally, I just loaded WAZE yesterday and realized how much it heats up the phone. Unfortunately, I live in MA, so there are more days that the Heat is on than the AC.
Old 07-22-16, 04:59 PM
airboss
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jclem
I chose 'iKross' (no it's Not just for iphones which I don't have). It's only $8 or 9 on Amazon. I didn't want to block my vents. It's quite versitile....I have one in my RX and one in my Ford truck.
This looks like what I want, but I can't find it on Amazon. Can you show a link? Found this one, which gets decent reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012EI4J3O...WXUQRKKW&psc=1

Also, could you show a pic with the phone on it? Thanks!
Old 07-22-16, 11:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
I know what you mean about a sticky thing on the dash, but I had to give in. I did discover (because I didn't like the first place I put it), that it peels off very cleanly.

Coincidentally, I just loaded WAZE yesterday and realized how much it heats up the phone. Unfortunately, I live in MA, so there are more days that the Heat is on than the AC.
Yes, the WAZE app really heats up the phone!!!

In the winter months where I have heater on (which in SoCal is rare), sometimes in order to cool the phone I just stick the phone into the "center console fridge cooler" with our LX570. If we are in our other Lexus vehicles, I will turn on the AC to cold for a few minutes in order to cool the phone.

Old 07-25-16, 02:57 AM
jclem
Pole Position

This looks like what I want, but I can't find it on Amazon. Can you show a link? Found this one, which gets decent reviews.

Hmm, strange. I looked back at my order and it now says 'out of stock, don't know when we'll have it '. However, it was sold by "Bluemall" and they showed a phone number of 626-800-4008. Good luck
as for a picture, unfortunately, my camera is also my phone.
Old 07-27-16, 05:27 AM
jclem
Pole Position

airboss, I neglected to say that this Wizgear product looks identical to the iKross which I got. So, I'd get it.
Old 07-06-17, 09:29 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Where do you put your cellphone

I tried keeping in the cup holder by drivers door but on a long drive the phone gets too cold and shuts down
we have nav, but no traffic on the nav ( that a whole different matter )
i was just wondering were most people keep their phones
Old 07-06-17, 09:47 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It fits pretty well in the front cup holder in the console. Plus, you can hear the GoogleLady's directions better than the Driver's cup holder.
Old 07-06-17, 10:00 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This works for all my cars...

Name:  Phone%20mt_zpsjrhherbm.jpg
Views: 6538
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 07-06-17, 10:00 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

2 for $8 not bad at all.
Old 07-06-17, 10:18 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm **** about some things, and placing a phone in front of an A/C vent is a big no-no in my little engineering brain. Why? Because of the potential for condensation inside the case after riding around with a really cold backside and then hitting the our southern high-temp humidity when exiting the vehicle. Being rather hot-natured, I MUST have my air flow, and it's going to be cold!

I've decided that I'm going to use some of my leftover RAM mount components to make up a system with their 2-1/2" suction mount and a short extender into a custom fabricated deep black box to the left of the steering wheel (above the cup holder). The suction mount will be in the small triangular glass section between door frame and the windshield. It's going to be deep set to eliminate the side glare I sometimes get from either sunshine or other vehicle headlights on the left side of the car during interstate travel, and also to eliminate the reflection of the screen onto the interior of the driver side door window.. The deep set box will mount to the flat face of a RAM attachment and will be rectangularly funnel shaped with a deeper wall on the left side than either the top, bottom or right sides. I'll probably use some flat thermoplastic and custom cut/weld the joints to get the shape I want.

Shoot, now that I think about it, I might just build that little box out of some thin solid mahogany or cherry wood I have in the shop... something to sort of match the wood trim inside the vehicle. That would look classier, for sure.

The honest truth, though, is that the RXh is my wife's car, and I only drive it occasionally. When we go on our long weekend road trips, though, that's when I would really enjoy my creation the most.

Last edited by F250; 07-06-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 11:04 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

do you have shut the vent off so the phone doesn't get too cold or too hot depend was the HVAC is set to ?
Old 07-06-17, 11:23 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbalance
do you have shut the vent off so the phone doesn't get too cold or too hot depend was the HVAC is set to ?
I live in a dry climate so I don't worry about shutting off the vent when running the AC. I do shut off the vent when running the heater though. Heat is the enemy of microelectronics.
Old 07-06-17, 01:15 PM
tkill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using that vent mount for while now with my Iphone 6s plus. It works perfect for me. The magnet is strong enough to hold my massive phone easily. I actually like the vent cooling my phone. When using the phone as GPS and screen on all the time the phone can get extremely hot. I have actually had a phone do an emergency shut down due to overheating from being on the dash. So the phone cooling aspect is good in my opinion. I never blow hot air through the dash vents in the winter, I always use the feet vents only. I don't like hot air blowing in my face. So winter time has worked fine as well.
Old 07-07-17, 10:18 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig

I can't see your pic.
I heard it was because PhotoBucket has declared war on reason and is trying to make their users pay $300+/year to allow hot-linking.
FlikR, get ready for thousands of new customers!

Quick Reply: Show me your phone mount