RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX350 '13 owner - I'm lukewarm on it

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 07:00 PM
bagofchips
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New RX350 '13 owner - I'm lukewarm on it

So, full disclosure. Loved our RX300 '03 for the last 10 years. Wife wanted to buy new I said let's just overhaul the 300. She had the money to buy so her decision, despite my protests. It's a 2013 AWD w/ Premium Package (white or pearl or whatever it's called).

Anyway, a week into owning and have the following observations.

Overall it's nice.
$40K+ will do that. It's an acceptable thing to own. But I won't look back on it in 20 years w/ any nostalgia.

Exterior suggests Lexus has lost its way.
The rounded edges on this bulbous mass looks to me like while everybody else is trying to emulate Lexus, Lexus is doing its darndest to look live everybody else. What happened to the jetfighter look? Front grill suggests it's a Lincoln from the 80s. Don't get the silvery roof rails at all. Why not make them match the body or the traditional black. The silver roof rails look really ridiculous on, say a black car. Who wants to highlight roof rails?

User interface nav is asinine.
I think they really have not figured out how to optimize the joystick / jogweel interface on the menu control. So manu things that should be doable easily are not.

Visibility is bad.
I can't tell where I am on the road. Yeah I'll get used to it, but the visibility compared to my RX300 is terrible.

Rides like a cadillac (in a bad way).
It's like a floating cushion but I feel like the tactile feedback from the road is sorely missing.

Interior color scheme - huh?
So we got the darker brown leather but much of the interior is still a charcoal / black while the ceiling is a parchment. Seems like a dumb color scheme. Our RX300 had a consistent color scheme between the ceiling, the vinyl and the leather elements.

That's it for now. Moreso than not it feels like an American car for which I paid a Japanese luxury premium. But maybe I'll learn to like it.
Old 08-04-12, 10:25 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

one word. displacement.
Old 08-05-12, 04:47 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bagofchips
Rides like a cadillac (in a bad way).
It's like a floating cushion but I feel like the tactile feedback from the road is sorely missing.
My RX also rides like a "floating cushion"..........in the middle of a hurricane at sea.
Old 08-05-12, 05:20 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry you're not liking your wife's new ride, but hopefully she's happy with her purchase.

I do agree visibility isn't quite as good as perhaps my old RX300 but certainly my RX400h -- the raised back seats and it seems slightly larger headrests in the 2010-3 really chomp away at the rear view.
Old 08-05-12, 06:32 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I can see that you really love the new RX.....I hope you did not say anything to the wife...don't forget...happy wife, happy life!!!
Old 08-05-12, 06:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
...I can see that you really love the new RX.....I hope you did not say anything to the wife...don't forget...happy wife, happy life!!!
X2, most accurate statement to date.
Old 08-05-12, 10:43 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry you feel this way but a lot of the changes that you dislike in the new Lexus is all part of the changing tides in the whole automotive history.

Silver roof rails are "in" and everybody is doing it. I have a black RX and I love the silver rails. See Audi Q5below.

The nav system is all part of the automotive change on that touch screens are distracting, so every premium luxury brand has some sort of way to use the nav screen through a controller.
Old 08-05-12, 06:44 PM
bagofchips
Rookie

Originally Posted by markrivers
one word. displacement.
Engine or whole vehicle?

I know you meant engine. Yeah the gas pedal is one place where I notice the tactile feedback -- I step on it and something actually happens even if I don't floor it to force a downshift.

Anyway, as some advised about happy wife and life, no worries... my wife knows that better than any of us!! I'm not going to fall on my sword over a mere $50 large.
Old 08-05-12, 07:34 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
one word. displacement.
a Freudian reference? I get displacement and transference mixed up...

Either way, I like the roof rails, they balance the look of the lower chrome strip and give me hand holds while waxing the roof. And I love the remote touch controller. Haven't formed an opinion of the 2013 exterior.

Last edited by DunWkg; 08-05-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 09:12 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think the silver roof rails look classier than the black ones on the previous gen RX.
Old 08-06-12, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

well the good thing is this is your wife's car and not yours. so enjoy your own car!
Old 08-06-12, 11:40 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

We don't even notice the silver roof rails on a silver car. For us they look Great!!

Last edited by cafpaf; 08-07-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 08:37 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
i think the silver roof rails look classier than the black ones on the previous gen RX.
i love the silver roof rails!
Old 08-07-12, 05:10 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

about the roof rails, it looks good on my Tungsten Pearl.
Old 08-07-12, 06:09 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Isn't this forum a perfect example of "In the eyes of the beholder"? Black rails, silver rails, Too hard a ride, rides like a Cadillac (bad thing), made in Japan, made in Canada. But for me the most impressive feature about the RX forum is with all the diverse opinions, no one seems to get defensive. That's pretty rare, so we should give ourselves a high 5.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off-subject.

Quick Reply: New RX350 '13 owner - I'm lukewarm on it