RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What Other Vehicle Compares..............

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 05:47 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Other Vehicle Compares..............

...........to our 2012 RX350, or what would be a alternative choice in price, quality, and size?

When you shopped for your RX, was it hard to choose between it and another make?

Curious
Old 07-28-12, 06:47 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
...........to our 2012 RX350, or what would be a alternative choice in price, quality, and size?

When you shopped for your RX, was it hard to choose between it and another make?

Curious
Cadillac would say their SRX; I had a 2006, had too many problems and went with Lexus!
The new SRX has more toys and gadgets than the RX350, the problem is that they often fail and you can count on many trips to the dealer.....I am still on the Cadillac Forum and laugh
Old 07-28-12, 07:03 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dctex99
Cadillac would say their SRX; I had a 2006, had too many problems and went with Lexus!
The new SRX has more toys and gadgets than the RX350, the problem is that they often fail and you can count on many trips to the dealer.....I am still on the Cadillac Forum and laugh
Invest in GM, and you pay twice, once on your tax money to bail GM out, and then pay again on purchase.................

Read this...........
http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-2832059/
Old 07-28-12, 07:07 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the closest competitor to the RX350 is the Murano LE. There are certain aspects of it that are superior to the RX and maintenance costs would be less, but a huge factor for me is simply the reliability difference between Toyota and Nissan. Regarding the SRX, take a drive in one and I'm pretty sure you'll prefer the RX's ride. On the other hand, the SRX outhandles the RX and is probably a little quicker.
Old 07-28-12, 07:43 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
I think the closest competitor to the RX350 is the Murano LE. There are certain aspects of it that are superior to the RX and maintenance costs would be less, but a huge factor for me is simply the reliability difference between Toyota and Nissan. Regarding the SRX, take a drive in one and I'm pretty sure you'll prefer the RX's ride. On the other hand, the SRX outhandles the RX and is probably a little quicker.
MB GLK, BMW X3, Audi Q5, LR Evoqe or LR2 are all in similar price range; all handle and ride better then RX; no question about reliability-RX all the way!

I can't see how murano compares to RX in ride quality- I did a test drive but it was very short, I did not like the interior...

Ah, there is also XC60 from Volvo...
Old 07-28-12, 10:21 PM
MikeBinOK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own a Lexus, but am researching cars to replace my 2003 Volvo S60. Cars I'm considering (besides the RX350!) include the Volvo XC60 already mentioned, which I'd say isn't as nice as the RX, but has better active safety features and off-road capability, and the Infiniti EX, which is much sportier than the RX, but has effectively no off-road capability. Both are a little smaller than the RX, especially the Infiniti's back seat.

Audi and Mercedes have compact SUVs/crossovers also. They might be considered alternatives by some.
Old 07-29-12, 10:38 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

M1964,

Were you in a Murano LE Platinum Edition? I'll put that interior up against the RX any day and it doesn't have that "right knee/leg encroachment" hassle some have mentioned. As far as ride goes, I took one out and think it was probably closer to my 2nd gen. than the 3rd gen. RX. Although, to be fair, I've yet to drive a 2013.

All the Euro competitors...sorry, not worth the extra $ and potential aggravation.
Old 07-29-12, 11:03 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
I have to kind of agree with BobBass about the Murano being a close competitor to the RX. Heck, I was all set to buy the Murano back in 2007, I liked it so much. And this was the first gen Murano. The RX330 was my first choice preference, but I didn't feel it had enough horsepower . But then in 2007, the second gen RX got that boost in power via the 3.5 liter engine, and then all bets were off; Lexus, here I come. The rest was history. But the current gen Murano is a very nice vehicle, especially in the LE trim. It has almost every feature that the RX has, plus that cool panoramic sunroff; but, also less warranty, 3 years/36k vs 4 years/50 k for the RX.
Old 07-30-12, 01:12 AM
py0413
Driver

Acura MDX, Infiniti FX35, Toyota Venza, MB GLK, BMW X3, AUDI Q5

I disagree that MB GLK handles or rides better than the RX. I spent a fairly amount of time test driving a 2011 GLK and It was quite a disappointment.