RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

..Extended warranties...how many of you buy them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 04:17 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m shopping for an extended warranty on top of the 3 yr/100K CPO warranty on a recently purchased 2010 RX350. I know some think its not worth it and I'm not 100% sure its worth it too but if the price is right I might just do it for the peace of mind. Is fd-warranty.com is a good place to start? I heard Jerry in KS can no longer sell on-line? My Nevada dealer is offering a 6 year 100k for $1775, discounted from $2500. My wife and I don’t drive much, about 8K miles/yr. so this will be a 6 yr warranty for us. Have to make a decision by the end of the month.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-14, 05:18 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you buy a 6 year warranty on top of an existing 3 or 4 year warranty it is really a 2 or 3 year warranty they are selling. And if you buy it when you buy the car, you are buying it 3 or 4 years ahead of when it becomes effective. What that means is you actually get a lot less and a lot later than what they try to make it sound like. We've thought about it a couple of times, but have never bought an extended warranty on anything over the many years we've been 'consuming'. It is after all, a Lexus. We have never regretted not buying extended warranties. Instead we maxed out all our retirement savings opportunities. We knew we could always raid our Roth IRA contributions with no tax or penalty in an emergency. Today, we have a lot more money than we would of we had bought all those extended warranties on cars, appliances, pcs & electronics phones, etc. Sometimes they make more money on the sale of the warranty than they do on the car. That should tell you something!
Old 12-29-14, 09:07 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2011RX350
When you buy a 6 year warranty on top of an existing 3 or 4 year warranty it is really a 2 or 3 year warranty they are selling. And if you buy it when you buy the car, you are buying it 3 or 4 years ahead of when it becomes effective. What that means is you actually get a lot less and a lot later than what they try to make it sound like. We've thought about it a couple of times, but have never bought an extended warranty on anything over the many years we've been 'consuming'. It is after all, a Lexus. We have never regretted not buying extended warranties. Instead we maxed out all our retirement savings opportunities. We knew we could always raid our Roth IRA contributions with no tax or penalty in an emergency. Today, we have a lot more money than we would of we had bought all those extended warranties on cars, appliances, pcs & electronics phones, etc. Sometimes they make more money on the sale of the warranty than they do on the car. That should tell you something!
Got a separate thread to find out what has gone kaput on these 2010s, never really bought ext warranties on my cars (all Japanese) inc a 02 Coach Ed. RX300 but this one I got used and was a loaner for the first 15K of its life.

You are definitely right about them making more money on selling the warranties. There was this mid/high end electronics store that I would buy all my gear from and I would either name my price or they would give it to me for 10% over cost as long as I bought the extended warranty. It has worked both ways and I was glad I got those warranties on the big screen TVs.
Old 12-29-14, 02:01 PM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Jerry can only sell warranty's for cars in his own state. I bought mine from him for my RX. You have to buy from a dealer in your own state.

I haven't bought another one. But I would try a local Toyota dealer before going to Lexus to see if you can get it cheaper.
Understood...., but in May 2013 he was still able to sell out of state. I believe the wife only has about 22k on her ES now, so we have a while to go before needing one, but I'll probably still call him and see if he has a recommendation of a dealership in my area.
Old 12-29-14, 02:54 PM
Bill188
Driver School Candidate

Default Extented warranty

I just bought my 2009 Lexus RX 350 last week with 80,000 miles on it. I reviewed the car fax report and decided against the added warranty from the Colorado dealer. I know they are an expensive car with expensive repair cost, but the warranty offered was for only 36K and I don't expect many issues with my car until way after that. This car has such a phenomenal reliability record that I really see no need.
Old 12-29-14, 03:37 PM
yeuchau
Driver School Candidate

My car warranty expires in 2 days, so tomorrow will be my last day to purchase platinum extended warranty.
The best quote I got so far is 8 years 75k miles for $2015. (I am at 43k miles, so basically 4 additional years and 32k miles)
I called multiple dealers including Toyota and this is the best price I get.
Thoughts?
Old 12-29-14, 03:48 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Warranty

I purchased the extended warranty for my 2007 RX. Only needed it twice. The XM radio receiver died. That was almost 1000 dollars. And my drivers side pillar airbag light came on. Took a week to get the part. The cost was over 2000 for the repair. And I also got a loaner.

If you're paying 2000 for 3 years. You're looking at 1.80 a day.
Old 12-29-14, 09:43 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by yeuchau
My car warranty expires in 2 days, so tomorrow will be my last day to purchase platinum extended warranty.
The best quote I got so far is 8 years 75k miles for $2015. (I am at 43k miles, so basically 4 additional years and 32k miles)
I called multiple dealers including Toyota and this is the best price I get.
Thoughts?
where did you get this quote from? I'd like to get a quote from them too. Apparently some can only sell ext warranties on vehicles that are still under manufacturer's warranty and not CPO warranty.

Thx!
Old 12-30-14, 02:49 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

I bought the platinum warranty for our new 15 RX. Includes 4 or 6 (can't recall just now) years of oil changes, about $1200.00 worth of work. That's about 1/2 the price of the warranty, so I think for that price, it should be worth it. I never bought or needed one in the previous '09 RX we traded, However, there are likely a few more electronics in the new one and apparently those are pricy. Our dealership has a spa, so the Wife can get her nails done during the "free" oil changes; that'll save almost the warranty price right there (LOL)!
Old 12-31-14, 09:24 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one from the dealer when I bought my RX. 84,000 miles - 7 years: $1,500

An oil change alone at the dealership is ridiculously priced -- I don't even want to think about having something repaired!
Old 12-31-14, 01:56 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've found 2 dealers that can offer a Platinum warranty of my 2011 RX350. Both are charging the same rate so I'm not really sure there's much of a discount involved.
i.e. 8 years with 75K miles is $1515. What I've quickly learned from reading various posts and warranty quotes is that it depends on the car. Guess that should have been obvious to me -- but, sadly it took a few minutes for that the click
Old 02-21-16, 08:41 AM
BP1203
Rookie

Default Extended Warranty-A Few Questions...

I know there are a ton of posts, but I need some advice/help regarding the extended warranty.

Have a 2012 RX-44k miles, warranty will expire in April. Car has been awesome, only warranty repair was a leaking rear shock discovered by the local Toyota dealer where we have the car serviced.

I can get an extended warranty which would cover the car for 8 years/100k total miles for $2060. Lexus Platinum Warranty, $0 deductible (quote came from the gentlemen at Lexus of Shreveport many recommended).

My goal is to keep this car for 15 years-in another 5 I'll give to my daughter and get the wife another RX (she is the primary driver of this car).

The real question is this: is it worth the $2060, or based on everyone's experiences, am I better off holding on to the money?

What have been the issues as these cars rack up miles?

First car I've owned with so much electrical stuff the cost of replacing the main screen (we hav navigation) just scares me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback everyone, really glad I found this forum.
Old 02-21-16, 12:05 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd say depends on how much you drive in a year. I drive a bit so I'll run out of miles before the time and since I follow maintenance schedule, extra warranty doesn't make much sense in my case. I'm also, like you, concerned more about all the electronics which will break over time. Even just a couple of door actuators would cost almost a grand in Ontario.

Cars do start to feel like computers on wheels.
Old 02-21-16, 07:25 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I purchased/financed a 5year/50k mile full comprehensive extended warranty when I bought my 2011 RX350 AWD with 60k miles a few months ago.

I only purchased the warranty because the RX350 had 60k miles and AWD, which can come with some nasty surprises if the vehicle was not properly maintained by the previous owner.

Having the extended warranty is maybe a waste of money on the Lexus RX350 it seems since not many owners really complain about any serious issues that would be hard to repair or replace myself.

The extended warranty cost me about $2500, however it covers everything(electronics,drive-train,power-steering,etc) with zero deductible.

However, I will do my own small repairs like sensors, wheel bearings,etc just because I like using my own preferred aftermarket parts and doing the work myself.

Yet, I do like the option of just being able to drop the car off at Lexus if the work seems too time consuming or if my wife run into a issue while we are both at work so I can not get to it right away.

Is extended warranties worth it, yes.

Better to have it and do not need it, than really need it and do not have it.

Especially when it comes to electronic issues since the nav radio is about $2000 alone to replace.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-21-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 11:59 AM
chinhboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double check with your credit unions.... mine was REALLY cheap

MEMBER'S CHOICE

Platinum coverage /$0 ded $100 ded $250 ded
60/90,000 miles / $1,377. $1,121. $$871.
84/75,000 miles / $1,391. $1,133. $879.
72/75,000 miles / $1,301. $1,067. $837.
60/75,000 miles / $1,226. $1,012. $804.
48/60,000 miles / $959. $819. $683.

Quick Reply: ..Extended warranties...how many of you buy them?