RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Performance of 450 vs. 350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 03:59 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance of 450 vs. 350?

I drove a 2013 RX 350 and a 450 and found the 350 to be much smoother and more powerful than the 450 is. Is this typical? I thought the hybrid had more horsepower and didn't expect lackluster performance. I'm pretty sure I had ECO mode turned off and certainly wasn't in EV mode.

I was going to spend the extra money to go for the hybrid, but not if this is typical. Has anyone driven both that can comment?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-12, 05:58 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you be more specific with how you compared the two.
What steps have you done? 0-60? Driving in a winding road? Etc.

The 450h has more horsepower and torque than the 350.
On a red light, the 450h will be faster than the 350 coming from a full stop.

I have a 350 by the way.
Old 07-06-12, 07:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The 450 and 350 have identical motors but different trannys. Even though the electric motors give the 450 about 25 more total horsepower in a floor from stop the 350 will jump quicker to about 25 or 30mph due to the low 1st gear. After that all bets are off with the additional torque of the 450h and the CVT tranny. On the hwy in a passing situation at speed the 450h will always win. It's smoother with the 450, you won't feel it kick down, it will just 'GO' Riki-TIk .
Originally Posted by markrivers
Can you be more specific with how you compared the two.
What steps have you done? 0-60? Driving in a winding road? Etc.

The 450h has more horsepower and torque than the 350.
On a red light, the 450h will be faster than the 350 coming from a full stop.

I have a 350 by the way.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-06-12 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-12, 07:13 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This is one discussion I should avoid as what I'm going to say is probably against convention, but I think the 450 is a dog going off the line compared to the 350 and it shouldn't be. When I drive a 350 loaner, I have to adjust to the quickness from a stop. Maybe it's because I have an AWD 450 it feels like a dog. Granted when the ICE and those two electric motors kick in the 450 takes off. And yes, I drive it most of the time in normal mode, not ECO mode.

The 450 to me seems smoother, less bouncy than a 350. I also feel more comfortable driving it fast, perhaps a perception of being more stable.
Old 07-06-12, 08:31 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DunWkg
This is one discussion I should avoid as what I'm going to say is probably against convention, but I think the 450 is a dog going off the line compared to the 350 and it shouldn't be. When I drive a 350 loaner, I have to adjust to the quickness from a stop. Maybe it's because I have an AWD 450 it feels like a dog. Granted when the ICE and those two electric motors kick in the 450 takes off. And yes, I drive it most of the time in normal mode, not ECO mode.

The 450 to me seems smoother, less bouncy than a 350. I also feel more comfortable driving it fast, perhaps a perception of being more stable.
Exactly. From a dead stop, the 450 felt slower than my 4-cylinder Honda Accord. It felt heavy and underpowered. The 350 is pretty quick off the line.

I almost bought a loaded 450 to replace my 350, but this was a deal-killer for me. I'm going to try an Acura instead and see how I like it.
Old 07-06-12, 08:41 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're referring to the new RDX I think you'll find it the best of the three regarding acceleration.
Old 07-06-12, 11:05 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobBass
If you're referring to the new RDX I think you'll find it the best of the three regarding acceleration.
No, actually the MDX. I know there are pros and cons to each vehicle, but coming from an RX350, I just couldn't tolerate the sluggish response off the line.
Old 07-07-12, 05:11 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The 450 and 350 have identical motors but different trannys. Even though the electric motors give the 450 about 25 more total horsepower in a floor from stop the 350 will jump quicker to about 25 or 30mph due to the low 1st gear. After that all bets are off with the additional torque of the 450h and the CVT tranny. On the hwy in a passing situation at speed the 450h will always win. It's smoother with the 450, you won't feel it kick down, it will just 'GO' Riki-TIk .
I'm not sure how much it contributes from a performance standpoint, but the RX450h has an Atkinson cycle engine, whereas the RX350 does not. Lexus recommends regular gas for the RX350, but premium for the 450h. In Lexus' RX brochure, it states a 0-60 time and quarter mile time of 7.7 sec. & 16.1 sec. for the 350 and 7.8 sec & 16.1 sec for the 450h (both FWD). Those are about as identical as you can get. There is a footnote by the horsepower number (295) for the 450h that reads "Ratings achieved using the required premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. If premium fuel is not used, performance will decrease."

In the brochure, I couldn't find the weight of either model and Lexus only lists the torque figure for the RX350 and not the 450h.
Old 07-07-12, 07:54 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I currently have both, a 350 and a 450h, both are AWD. The 350 are faster off the line and it ALWAYS jumps in 1st gear when you started off the line so this feels faster. The 450h has CVT so NO jumping off the line so it feels slower (*******). When speed is picking up at higher than 30 mph or so the 450h will feel MUCH faster than the 350 when you floor it.
Old 07-07-12, 08:09 AM
Cruiter

Same engine, a little different combustion system for better economy. In producing more economy some initial torque 'is' lost but made up later with the electric motors. The following is from Wikipedia:

"While a modified Otto cycle engine using the Atkinson cycle provides good fuel economy, it is at the expense of a lower power-per-displacement as compared to a traditional four-stroke engine.[3] If demand for more power is intermittent, the power of the engine can be supplemented by an electric motor during times when more power is needed. This forms the basis of an Atkinson cycle-based hybrid electric drivetrain. These electric motors can be used independently of, or in combination with, the Atkinson cycle engine, to provide the most efficient means of producing the desired power. This drive train first entered production in late 1997 in the Japanese-market Toyota Prius.

At this writing, most production full hybrid-electric vehicles use Atkinson cycle engines:

Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid electric (four-wheel drive) with a compression ratio of 10.8:1
Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Mazda Tribute electric (front- and four-wheel drive) with a compression ratio of 12.4:1
Ford Fusion Hybrid/Mercury Milan Hybrid/Lincoln MKZ Hybrid electric (front-wheel drive) with a compression ratio of 12.3:1
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid (front-wheel drive)
Infiniti M35h Hybrid (rear-wheel drive)
Kia Optima Hybrid (front-wheel drive)
Lexus CT200h (front-wheel drive)
Lexus HS250h (front-wheel drive)
Lexus RX 450h hybrid electric (rear-wheel drive)
Mercedes ML450 Hybrid (four-wheel drive) electric
Mercedes S400 Blue Hybrid (rear-wheel drive) electric
Toyota Highlander Hybrid (2011 and newer)[4]
Toyota Prius hybrid electric (front-wheel drive) with a (purely geometric) compression ratio of 13.0:1
Toyota Camry Hybrid electric (front-wheel drive) with a compression ratio of 12.5:1
Lexus GS450h hybrid electric (Rear-Wheel drive) with a compression ratio of 13.0:1
Originally Posted by MikeP
I'm not sure how much it contributes from a performance standpoint, but the RX450h has an Atkinson cycle engine, whereas the RX350 does not. Lexus recommends regular gas for the RX350, but premium for the 450h. In Lexus' RX brochure, it states a 0-60 time and quarter mile time of 7.7 sec. & 16.1 sec. for the 350 and 7.8 sec & 16.1 sec for the 450h (both FWD). Those are about as identical as you can get. There is a footnote by the horsepower number (295) for the 450h that reads "Ratings achieved using the required premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 or higher. If premium fuel is not used, performance will decrease."

In the brochure, I couldn't find the weight of either model and Lexus only lists the torque figure for the RX350 and not the 450h.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-07-12 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-12, 08:45 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..I have a question, and please there is no intention of creating neither an argument or disparaging anyone for their decisions..ok?......I do love the 450h a lot because I think that it has "touches" that 350 does not have and in my opinion those little details really make the vehicle much better looking, but the difference in money is large and I wonder what will be the amount time needed to recover the extra money spent in the 450h (breaking point) based on the extra mileage per gallon of gas used.
Between 350 and 450 the 450h has the greater mileage of course and also that "breaking point" will be reached faster by those who drive a lot of miles in a shorter time, but aside from liking the 450h better, I ,as an average driver do not see any advantage in the mileage related to the price paid.

Loving cars is like love in general, when in love one sees what one wants to see!!!!

Last edited by svofan1; 07-07-12 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 08:55 AM
Cruiter

There isn't 'one' answer that fits every situation, you have to gauge for yourself. However the RX 450h is considered a different model, it has more horsepower, gets better fuel efficiency, has more features, and all other things being equal will bring back a higher percentage of original cost in resale. Those are verifiable facts. But you still have do decide for yourself, spending 'your' money isn't something you should ask others to help you do. I really do like your final quote "Loving cars is like love in general, when in love one sees what one wants to see!!!!". That sort of say's it all.
Originally Posted by svofan1
..I have a question, and please there is no intention of creating neither an argument or disparaging anyone for their decisions..ok?......I do love the 450h a lot because I think that it has "touches" that 350 does not have and in my opinion those little details really make the vehicle much better looking, but the difference in money is large and I wonder what will be the amount time needed to recover the extra money spent in the 450h (breaking point) based on the extra mileage per gallon of gas used.
Between 350 and 450 the 450h has the greater mileage of course and also that "breaking point" will be reached faster by those who drive a lot of miles in a shorter time, but aside from liking the 450h better, I ,as an average driver do not see any advantage in the mileage related to the price paid.

Loving cars is like love in general, when in love one sees what one wants to see!!!!

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-07-12 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-12, 10:01 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My next RX will be the hybrid. Do I plan on breaking even on the extra $6K or so outlay for the 450h version. Nope. Not in my case. It's technically more interesting to me and I'm a sucker for technology and at an emotional level I am drawn to it. If I had to justify it based on hard facts, I wouldn't buy it. I do hope that Lexus reduces the premium for the h version over time. By doing so they would greatly expand their sales of it.
Old 07-07-12, 10:09 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
2013 RX450h:
Curb Weight 4,652 lbs. – AWD; 4,520 lbs. – FWD
Torque 234 lb.-ft. @ 4,800 rpm (not including hybrid drive)
2013 RX350:
Curb Weight 4,340 lbs. (FWD) 4,510 lbs. (AWD)
Torque 248 lb.-ft. @ 4,700 rpm
Source - product information pages at pressroom.toyota.com
Old 07-07-12, 12:33 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
There isn't 'one' answer that fits every situation, you have to gauge for yourself. However the RX 450h is considered a different model, it has more horsepower, gets better fuel efficiency, has more features, and all other things being equal will bring back a higher percentage of original cost in resale. Those are verifiable facts. But you still have do decide for yourself, spending 'your' money isn't something you should ask others to help you do. I really do like your final quote "Loving cars is like love in general, when in love one sees what one wants to see!!!!". That sort of say's it all.
...you are correct Jim, in my case I wish I had stretch my wallet a bit more...but if I did my bride of 45 years would have ended the honeymoon...since I traded in an MDX 2011 with only 13k miles...what can I say I like to live dangerously, but I also have limits...lol.....not a gluton for punishment, besides I hate to sleep in the sofa.....lol

Quick Reply: Performance of 450 vs. 350?