RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bluetooth phone speaker quality (merged threads)

Old 01-18-14, 06:57 PM
charlesn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayner
@charlsen - did you try asking your dealer about this?
I have an appt at my dealer this week. As I said, I have a somewhat unique vantage point with this issue because I went directly from a 2010 to a 2014 450h with the exact same phone, so I know that a) it's not the phone and, b) it's not an inherent BT issue because call sound quality on the 2010 was great for 42 months on an IPhone 4, 4s, 5 and 5s.

What's especially surprising is that the tech in the 2010 pre-dates current iPhone hardware and iOS software by a few generations, so that should be the car with the issue… not the 2014, with much newer tech that also reflects collaboration between Apple and Lexus. I feel certain that this routing of phone call audio to one speaker in the door is not how it was handled on the 2010. I would also note that I had the Lexus Premium Audio with nav in both cars, so no difference there.
Old 01-20-14, 12:38 PM
charlesn
Driver School Candidate

Another interesting factoid to add to this thread: today, for the first time, I streamed Pandora via BT from my iPhone 5s using Enform Apps. It played flawlessly and sounded great because the audio was being routed through the entire sound system. Which begs the question: why isn't BT audio from phone calls being played through the entire system? Clearly the capability to do so is there...
Old 01-20-14, 09:19 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

From a pure audio standpoint, you are comparing two different techniques. With a phone conversation, which is a two way communication involving an open microphone and speakers,you want good separation between your speakers and the open microphone or you can end up with feedback issues. Playing from your phone straight to the speakers doesn't engage the microphone. It is just a different mix.

You can have an open mic in a room with speakers, but it takes special mixers and a particular mix of microphones, none of which you will find in a passenger car. Furthermore, the close quarters of a car would make it doubly tricky.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 01-21-14, 03:47 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ward6096
From a pure audio standpoint, you are comparing two different techniques. With a phone conversation, which is a two way communication involving an open microphone and speakers,you want good separation between your speakers and the open microphone or you can end up with feedback issues. Playing from your phone straight to the speakers doesn't engage the microphone. It is just a different mix.

You can have an open mic in a room with speakers, but it takes special mixers and a particular mix of microphones, none of which you will find in a passenger car. Furthermore, the close quarters of a car would make it doubly tricky.

Just my .02 cents worth.
THIS....

2014, rx 350 premium sound, NOT Mark L; using an ANDROID HTC One Maxx, sound on BT is just fine...
Old 01-21-14, 01:28 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My BT works great with my iPhone 5 didn't with my Samsung Proclaim.
Old 02-15-14, 06:13 AM
DrMCR
Driver School Candidate

Default Bluetooth phone sound quality in 2013 RX450h

Writing to agree with the other posts here that the sound quality on the BT phone stinks in this car. I had a 2007 RX400h prior to this and it was much better- this is tough as I use the BT a lot and although I can hear my callers complain like gangbusters and I have resorted to using a BT earpiece when I drive. Any solutions out there for this? I am even ready for an aftermarket fix at this point. Thanks!!!!

Old 02-15-14, 07:23 AM
wase4711
Rookie

I believe its a phone/carrier issue, NOT a lexus issue..
my '14 rx has great BT audio quality, with both Sprint and T Mobile, using LG and Samsung Android phones...In chicagoland, with strong Cellular network signals from most carriers..
Old 02-15-14, 03:49 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wase4711
I believe its a phone/carrier issue, NOT a lexus issue..
my '14 rx has great BT audio quality, with both Sprint and T Mobile, using LG and Samsung Android phones...In chicagoland, with strong Cellular network signals from most carriers..
I think we need more details on how it is horrible. The only problem in mine was that when my wife called me from the RX the outgoing volume was very loud. We adjusted the outgoing volume and now it is perfect.
Old 02-15-14, 06:26 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I find the quality of the phone perfectly acceptable in my '14 RX350. I do notice that when listening to BT music and I get a call, the music stops for several seconds before the phone rings.
Old 02-17-14, 07:22 AM
charlesn
Driver School Candidate

This is absolutely neither a phone nor a carrier issue. A few people in this thread--myself included--are complaining that the BT quality is poor in comparison to what we had with an older Lexus--same phone, same carrier. In my case, the only thing that changed was going from a '10 450h to a '14 450h. Lexus unquestionably changed the way in which BT phone call audio (specifically) is routed through the speaker system. Other BT audio, such as streaming from the Pandora app, is superb.
Old 02-17-14, 01:18 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Having changed phones on the same 2013 RX, I have seen the quality change so I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Lexus on this particular issue. I had great audio with the Blackberry Torch, but terrible audio with the iPhone 5. If the issue is the car, then why didn't the Blackberry didn't suffer the poor audio quality? I am not trying to argue the point, but just share my own observations. I do think there is some sort of combination(s) that work well and other combination(s) that do not. I'm just not sure who's technology is to blame.

Also, keep in mind that a comparison between the Bluetooth speaker phone and an audio streaming service like Pandora isn't really fair. When you are streaming pandora in the car, you don't have an open microphone. Therefore, the car doesn't have to address any echo cancellation or feedback issues during simple audio streaming. It may seem like the same thing, bit you are comparing a one-way technology to a two-way technology, and the two-way situation requires different handling due to that open mic.

Just my observations and/or opinion on this topic.

Doug
Old 04-09-14, 10:03 PM
redman56
Driver School Candidate

Default Poor Bluetooth Phone Speaker & Microphone Quality - 2013 - 2014

I agree 100% on the subject of VERY POOR BLUETOOTH SPEAKER & MICROPHONE QUAILITY on the 2013 GS 350 that I currently own. I have owned 5 Lexus's based on their superior quaility, but this problem exists with the 2013 IS 350F Sport & 2014 IS 250F Sport too, having just owned both vehicles in the last year. This is not Lexus quality by any measurement. Somebody at Lexus dropped the ball when it came to the phone speaker & microphone installations for 2013 - 2014. I too have called the dealership and let the salesman know how poorly the phone sound is, (think he already agrees too). I hope Lexus reads these Lexus message blogs & will offer a fix. The road noise in the car is loud, thus everyone complains about very poor reception, thus the Mircophone is part of the problem too. With these new styled Lexus body's for 2013 - 2014, they got a cheap set of Speakers & Microphone for the phone system & it shows. If Lexus cannot provide a solution, I will let the WWW know about the existing problem & find another car to replace my 2013 - GS 350.

John A
Houston, Tx
Old 04-10-14, 05:34 AM
busurfer
Driver School Candidate

I don't know that speaker for the phone is different from the regular stereo speakers; the issue (to my ear) is the preset EQ for the Bluetooth phone connection. It is the only audio function that does not allow any adjustment and the default has a pronounced lack of low end and what sounds to be a boost in the 1-1.5khz range which makes the speakerphone sound like it is coming through a cheap speaker. This should be fixable through a software patch that allows for phone EQ adjustment but I doubt that Lexus will spend the engineering dollars to write that code for a non-safety issue.
Old 05-18-14, 07:48 PM
redman56
Driver School Candidate

Default Very poor bluetooth speaker & microphone quaility

I agree 100% on the subject of VERY POOR BLUETOOTH SPEAKER & MICROPHONE QUAILITY on the 2013 GS 350 that I currently own. I have owned 5 Lexus's based on their superior quaility, but this problem exists with the 2013 IS 350F Sport & 2014 IS 250F Sport too, having just owned both vehicles in the last year. This is not Lexus quality by any measurement. Somebody at Lexus dropped the ball when it came to the phone speaker & microphone installations for 2013 - 2014. I too have called the dealership and let the salesman know how poorly the phone sound is, (think he already agrees too). I hope Lexus reads these Lexus message blogs & will offer a fix. The road noise in the car is loud, thus everyone complains about very poor reception, thus the Mircophone is part of the problem too. With these new styled Lexus body's for 2013 - 2014, they got a cheap set of Speakers & Microphone for the phone system & it shows. If Lexus cannot provide a solution, I will let the WWW know about the existing problem & find another car to replace my 2013 - GS 350.

John A
Houston, Tx
Old 05-18-14, 09:16 PM
txes
Lead Lap

The BT functionality on my Android phones in both the 2013 ES and 2014 RX is superb.

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth phone speaker quality (merged threads)