RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sunglasses causing problems viewing nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 01:42 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sunglasses causing problems viewing nav screen

I searched and didn't find an answer, so I'm wondering if I am the only person having a problem. I test drove a 2013 RX450h this morning and almost decided to purchase it. The one problem I experienced was a dark area, about 1/3 of the nav screen on the driver's side with my sunglasses on. Taking the glasses off eliminated the problem. I tried a different pair of sunglasses and was able to duplicate the dark area. I am assuming this problem is caused by polarized lenses. Has anyone else had this problem and other than not wearing sunglasses, were you able to solve the problem?

I do not have the problem with my 2010 LS nor the 2013 GS350 I also tested.
Old 06-28-12, 03:34 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't remember reading a warning in the manuals about an issue with the Nav screen, but there is specific reference that the HUD (if you have that option) may appear dark or hard to see with polarized glasses. I wore prescription polarized sunglasses and specifically switched exclusively to non-polarized for use while driving when I placed the order for my 2013 because of reading that and having encountered the same problem when not being able to read my bank's ATM screens with the polarized glasses on. I figured I would just prevent any issues with my new Lexus and reserve my polarized glasses for around the pool and at the beach where they have greatest benefit anyway. I had the non-polarized versions on just a couple hours ago in my 2013 RX450h and had no problem with Nav or HUD visibility. Crystal clear.

Good luck with your new RX decision! It's a GREAT vehicle.

Last edited by BertL; 06-28-12 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added reference to bank ATMs
Old 06-28-12, 07:15 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You guessed right. Polarized glasses. I have a pair that do the same. But when I put my older Serengeti's on, nice cool image and no polarization. But they're much heavier too with real glass. Comfort on the eyes, weight on the nose. They're about 20 years old and I just can't part with them, the best pair I have.
Originally Posted by MikeP
I searched and didn't find an answer, so I'm wondering if I am the only person having a problem. I test drove a 2013 RX450h this morning and almost decided to purchase it. The one problem I experienced was a dark area, about 1/3 of the nav screen on the driver's side with my sunglasses on. Taking the glasses off eliminated the problem. I tried a different pair of sunglasses and was able to duplicate the dark area. I am assuming this problem is caused by polarized lenses. Has anyone else had this problem and other than not wearing sunglasses, were you able to solve the problem?

I do not have the problem with my 2010 LS nor the 2013 GS350 I also tested.
Old 06-29-12, 03:18 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Have the same problem I have found that where I live the tint on the windows helps me get away without sunglasses more than I use to. However, when I do wear them, I find myself either lifting them up onto my forehead, or moving them down on my nose like my readers. I have a similar issue with my wife's Audi A6.
Old 06-29-12, 08:54 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My two pair of Maui Jims are good ... no darkening effect ... they are prescription and polarized.
Old 06-29-12, 09:12 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't have any issues with sunglasses on, maybe because I have the cheap ones...lol
Old 06-30-12, 04:26 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by UCSB
My two pair of Maui Jims are good ... no darkening effect ... they are prescription and polarized.
Interesting you should mention Maui Jims. I tried 2 different pairs of Maui Jims and that's when I experienced the problem. I'm going back to test the RX again, but with a couple of different and much cheaper sunglasses. Thanks all for your feedback.
Old 07-01-12, 07:41 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All LCD displays have polarized pixels... at some angle, your polarized sunglasses block the polarized light from part of the display. Try tilting your head up or down a tad, it might be sufficient to overcome the problem. If not, don't wear polarized glasses when viewing the display.
Old 07-01-12, 09:45 AM
bswood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think this is a defect!

I have a 2010 RX 350 and test drove the new 2013. The Nav screen on the 13 has a dark blotch on the left side making it difficult if not impossible to see with sunglasses (I tried several sunglasses Ray Ban and Maui Jim). I also sampled several cars including the 450h - all are defective. I am debating whether to purchase the car because of this – probably wont. My 2010 Nav screen is bright and clear with sunglasses. If you ask me, Lexus screwed up here.
Old 07-01-12, 10:10 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bart, if you can see it correctly without the sunglasses then don't you think it might be fine and the polarized sunglasses are the problem ??? The screen is made to be non-reflective to better see it. If you add polarized glasses to that you're gonna have an issue seeing it, not a defect. No, 'Lexus' didn't screw up !
Originally Posted by bswood
I have a 2010 RX 350 and test drove the new 2013. The Nav screen on the 13 has a dark blotch on the left side making it difficult if not impossible to see with sunglasses (I tried several sunglasses Ray Ban and Maui Jim). I also sampled several cars including the 450h - all are defective. I am debating whether to purchase the car because of this – probably wont. My 2010 Nav screen is bright and clear with sunglasses. If you ask me, Lexus screwed up here.
Old 07-01-12, 10:42 AM
bswood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, looks fine without the sunglasses - but , like I said it is not an issue in my current 2010 RX, or all the other cars I have been test driving - this only occurs in the Lexus. I don’t see why I have to sacrifice my favorite sunglasses and my vision, just to see a Nav screen on a sunny day. I still might go with another RX, but it is kind of a bummer.
Old 07-01-12, 12:23 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

This was prob. an oversight when Lexus went to a better screen. If you take your 2010 screen, wear the same polarized glasses and move your head around the cockpit area, you will find a placement where you have this same effect...its unfortunate this effect in the 13 is where you are sitting.

Different makes of sunglasses have different polarizing characteristics, often due to the lens curvature. (as well as different type of polarization) It's cheaper to buy new sunglasses if that works...
Old 07-01-12, 02:30 PM
MikeP
Advanced

I am the OP and I initially wrote off the 2013 RX because of the dark area on the nav screen with polarized sunglasses. It was a big disappointment to me because I really wanted the 450h. I test drove the GS350 and thought the driving was great, but the car is just a little cramped, especially for the front passenger. I was trying to force the GS to fit (not too much of a force).

I finally decided to pull out an older, cheaper pair of sunglasses and try the RX again. Problem solved. Cheap sunglasses, expensive hybrid. Can you think of a better combination? The Maui Jims are for walking and the Walmarts are for driving. I now have an RX450h in my garage with a cheap pair of sunglasses in the glove box. Can you think of a better reason Lexus omitted the overhead sunglass holder?
Old 07-01-12, 03:31 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the new RX450h and welcome to the family. Great job with your compromise. I think you won!
Old 07-01-12, 03:57 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

see if you can have a pair of polarized glasses made with the opposite polarization...... small price to pay if you really want polarized sunglasses.

BTW, I too am very impressed with the cockpit space in the RX....it has more leg room than the LX...hard to imagine, huh.... if your tall, u really appreciate the ample space, better than any Benz I test drove. Including the MLK, M and GL.

While the RX might have this polarization issue on the screen, the good news is, the RX is also unique in the fact they set the scree back, away from the drive at max. distance, perfect for our aging presbyopia eyes... no cheaters required...I would trade that any day for the polarization issue.

Quick Reply: Sunglasses causing problems viewing nav screen