RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Nav Hard Drive - Load Songs Onto it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 09:56 PM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav Hard Drive - Load Songs Onto it?

One query I had. I really want the ability to load CD's into the Hard Drive so I can in essence remove the need to hookup my iPhone. I would just have several Gigs of songs on the Nav Hard Drive. Is this an option on the RX? Thank you!
Old 06-26-12, 10:42 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The simple answer is no.
Old 06-27-12, 05:54 AM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple solution.

Buy a thumb drive (cheap on amazon) and keep it hooked to the USB in the Lexus at all times.
Old 06-27-12, 10:25 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your confusing the Lexus system with another. To the best of my knowledge the RX does not have a hard drive (for music).. Probably a good thing. My Infinity does but I never use it because it will only convert from cd WAV files and uses a very low bit rate (I believe 128). Like other have said, USB is the best way to go.
Old 06-27-12, 11:56 AM
Howard2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice feature to have, but no

It's a nice feature to have, which unfortunately is not available for RX.
Old 06-27-12, 02:32 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2013 RX with Nav is all hard disk... There is no permanent DVD used for the maps as there was in previous Gens. The hard disk on our RXs are not customer accessible for storing music.

My former BMW had the capability of copying up to 30 (or maybe it was 40) GB of music from CD, DVD, and/or USB of certain music formats to the Nav hard disk which was then accessible at any time -- the function sounded nifty, but in use was problematic with the special process and "special" USB port that had to be used for the copying and trying to access the music and manage it over time was a royal pain.

I agree with the previous recommendation, especially with the price of USB memory these days, buy a cheap one and just keep it plugged in to your truck all the time. It's a simple solution if you don't want to have a permanent iPod in your vehicle like I do.
Old 07-06-12, 10:26 AM
Bradan
Driver School Candidate

The down side with the USB is that the song will not continue where it left off. on my 2010 RX450H it always restart to the first song on the folder.
Old 07-06-12, 03:17 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This another example of Lexus being behind the curve. The new RDX copies CDs to its hard drive as soon as it's finished reading them.

Last edited by BobBass; 07-06-12 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Used the incorrect "it's"
Old 07-06-12, 03:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bob, I made the suggestion to go hard drive to my sales guy recently. He said he'd submit the idea to Lexus. Maybe on the 4th gen.
Old 07-06-12, 07:33 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Well, to be fair, a case could be made that CD technology is "going away," so even having a CD player/ripper in a vehicle might be passé in the not so distant future. My '08 has a cassette player for Pete's sake!! However, I imagine having a hard drive to copy your audio files to from some type of storage device will remain a worthwhile option.
Old 07-06-12, 08:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bob, I made the suggestion to my sales guy since Lexus moved to a single CD player. They should have at least offered something like a hard drive option in its place. But I'm concerned about the time it takes to upload a single CD. It was 10 minutes in one of my parents' cars. I actually like my CD player and use it often. That I hope doesn't go away. Hard to find a happy medium.
Old 07-06-12, 08:33 PM
NickCanada
Driver School Candidate

Yes I am disappointed with this feature lacking on the RX. It has so much else going for it.

But X3 for instance I understand will allow you to load CD's to Hard Drive and categorize playlists. I know I can play songs from a USB on both, but I much prefer the X3 system.
Old 07-07-12, 05:15 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Digital age

Once we entered the digital age technology started moving faster than we could even imagine. The medium for storing 0's and 1's is getting smaller and smaller as are the circuit's for processing them. CD player's still require mechanical moving features that by necessity take up more room, can experience mechanical failure, and are more costly to manufacture than a circuit board. We may still buy CD's in the stores for the immediate future but that will probably be replaced soon by thumb drives or even just downloading from the 'net'. The car radio is already evolving to meet the future. New car radios are rapidly being replaced with 'glass panels' that not only play local stations but integrate with satellite and internet for everything from music to navigation to phones to stocks. The only hold back is imagination.

I will really be surprised if the Gen IV RX when it is introduced even has a mechanical device for CD's. It takes up room and is costly. It would be less expensive and more reliable to have tray's holding circuit boards for these devices and if a board failed, just replace the board.

I've learned that the best listening experience for my music is careful preparation in iTunes and then loading onto my iPod and playing through the USB cable. It seems to sound better than CD's and it's very easy to play what I want to hear using the remote and NAV screen. It's going to be the future folks. It only makes sense.

Soon your CD's that were so much cheaper to produce than records will bring less on ebay then the records do. They will always be collectors items.

Just sayin ......
Originally Posted by NickCanada
Yes I am disappointed with this feature lacking on the RX. It has so much else going for it.

But X3 for instance I understand will allow you to load CD's to Hard Drive and categorize playlists. I know I can play songs from a USB on both, but I much prefer the X3 system.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-07-12 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-12, 09:52 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Jim,

You are absolutely correct on everything except one QUIBBLING thing: I believe iTunes stores and plays music in MP3 or MP4 file format. These compressed files are inherently inferior "audio samples" to CDs, which are themselves inferior to optimal analog record reproduction systems. I'm not sure what you mean by "careful preparation in iTunes."

In a moving vehicle setting and to my 63 year old "musician ears," these differences are barely perceptible. I'm still dragging my feet on the switch to MP3 player gadgets, not because of the sound, but because there's no AUX input and it's just simpler to load up the changer in my '08. However, if and when I get a 2013, since it only has a one slot CD, I guess I'll have to load up my smartphone with some fav music....in that INFERIOR SOUNDING MP3 file format.
Old 07-07-12, 10:51 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...and just think Bob, when you have that new ride, the discussion can then become if you can hear the difference between BT streaming from your smartphone or go hard wired for the better sound quality.

For me, my hard-wired iPod is a great solution. I've found the trick is to create and store my tunes in 256 or higher bit rate ... Lower than that and quality is at times distinguishable with earphones, and perhaps in the vehicle with all the windows closed and minimal road noise. As an FYI, iTunes allows quite a bit of flexibility in recording different formats and bit rates beyond just generic MP3/4. Trade offs tend to be in sound quality and size of the file (therefore how many you can keep on your device), e.g. a rough estimate for a 3 min song at 128 bits is 3MB, at 320 it becomes 7MB, and if you save it in Apple Lossless format its then closer to 15MB if you really need to store CD quality. Lots of trade offs and decisions to be made (and they can be different for each song) for those that care.

Quick Reply: Nav Hard Drive - Load Songs Onto it?