RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 08:45 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
If a car gets stolen and the thief wants to get into your home, 1), you can change the garage door code to n seconds. 2), they can find you based on your license plate, 3), hitting you when you most expect it makes for a very dumb criminal....okay, scratch the third one. There are some seriously dumb criminals out there.
So true, hence why our prisons/jails are over-filled instead being mostly empty which is a very good thing sorta.

Just watch an episode of cops.
Old 03-21-16, 10:54 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Hover over the orientation icon on the upper left an click it. That'll change it to always pointing forward.
Thanks rj.
Old 03-21-16, 02:20 PM
websailor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, our "home" setting is actually the address of our local police station....we know how to get home from there. It will be a surprise to a thief if they follow those directions to our "home"!

We know that the police always run you registration if they stop you, so we 1) make a photocopy of the registration and 2) cut out the line that has our address, and 3) put that in our glove box. Our car has no info in it that gives someone a location to our house.

Sometimes the brighter thieves will steal a car (like from a shopping center) and they know that you're not home and that it will be an hour or more for you to find your car stolen and make a police report and get a way home. They will knock on your door/ring the doorbell with a plausible story (selling magazines, etc) to see if anyone else is home or if you have a dog.

Don't ever leave anything visible in you car - even if it is worthless, like a bag of dirty gym clothes, they don't know that so they will break your window to grab the backpack, etc. Now you have an expensive broken window to replace.....

Last edited by websailor; 03-21-16 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-16, 02:28 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I reckon due to all those engine immobilizers in Lexuses the only practical way to steal your car is to tow it away ... right?
Old 03-21-16, 02:34 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
I reckon due to all those engine immobilizers in Lexuses the only practical way to steal your car is to tow it away ... right?
Re-transmit authentication codes from the key in your pocket to the car itself. It's a 2-person job.
But that's a whole different topic, completely unrelated to the Navigation System.
Old 03-21-16, 06:36 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by websailor
LOL, our "home" setting is actually the address of our local police station....we know how to get home from there. It will be a surprise to a thief if they follow those directions to our "home"!

We know that the police always run you registration if they stop you, so we 1) make a photocopy of the registration and 2) cut out the line that has our address, and 3) put that in our glove box. Our car has no info in it that gives someone a location to our house.

Sometimes the brighter thieves will steal a car (like from a shopping center) and they know that you're not home and that it will be an hour or more for you to find your car stolen and make a police report and get a way home. They will knock on your door/ring the doorbell with a plausible story (selling magazines, etc) to see if anyone else is home or if you have a dog.

Don't ever leave anything visible in you car - even if it is worthless, like a bag of dirty gym clothes, they don't know that so they will break your window to grab the backpack, etc. Now you have an expensive broken window to replace.....
Yes it does, the license plate.

Hence why you should never post pictures of your license plate number over the web.

So if that car thief wants to find your home they will find it.

Welcome to the modern age.

However, you method does make it very hard for a criminal to find your home.

Which will rule out about 99 percent of them since most are too lazy to go through that much effort to find your home.

To be honest most car thieves are in it for the car only and wants to dump it as fast they can, not use it as a U-haul to vandalize a home.

I will be worry more about the random thieves on foot or patrolling through neighborhoods in moving vans for homes to break into than a car thief.

OK. Now we need a security thread.
Old 03-21-16, 06:42 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
To be honest most car thieves are in it for the car only and wants to dump it as fast they can, not use it as a U-haul to vandalize a home.

I will be worry more about the random thieves on foot or patrolling through neighborhoods for homes to break into than a car thief.
All very true.

And according to statistics 3 out of 4 car thefts are strictly crimes of opportunity to get a joy ride, only 1 out of 4 thefts are by professional car thieves.
Old 03-28-16, 06:05 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have some very nosy neighbors who see "everything" in the neighborhood.

You must know my wife.
Old 01-16-17, 11:08 AM
airboss
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Another GPS rant

2015 RX350, with NAV....

Can someone successfully get the voice nav to take you to 6239 South East Street, Southport, Indiana? This is the second time I've tried to navigate to somewhere on East Street, in the Indianapolis area, and that POS nav system won't recognize East as a valid street. I haven't tried, since my wife can't enter data while we're moving ) to type in East as the street name.

Old 01-16-17, 04:14 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha, that's funny to set home to the police station!!!!😄😅😀😁😊☺️🙂

I guess that's why people have security alarms at home. Some even have video cams. A not so professional bugular will just move on to the next house down the road. Of course, if a pro wanted in, he/she will break in no matter what. Or some person high on whatever may not be thinking straight and will break in no matter what.

These days one will need as much deterrents as possible. I like the idea of that RingCentral video door bell BC it announces in the presence of detection of motion when someone approaches the door.

Yes it does, the license plate.

Hence why you should never post pictures of your license plate number over the web.

So if that car thief wants to find your home they will find it.

Welcome to the modern age.

However, you method does make it very hard for a criminal to find your home.

Which will rule out about 99 percent of them since most are too lazy to go through that much effort to find your home.

I will be worry more about the random thieves on foot or patrolling through neighborhoods in moving vans for homes to break into than a car thief.

OK. Now we need a security thread.
Old 01-16-17, 04:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I experienced the same frustration sometimes.

So I thought the live destination assistant will do better (requires annual paid subscription). But NO,. That live destination person a few years ago while I was in heavy traffic in New Orleans area looking for MSY airport sent me to the wrong airport. Sent me to some other small general aviation airport instead of the big MSY airport.

I think my cell phone Google map or the WAZE app worked the best!!! But it depends on a good cell signal though.

Originally Posted by airboss
2015 RX350, with NAV....

Can someone successfully get the voice nav to take you to 6239 South East Street, Southport, Indiana? This is the second time I've tried to navigate to somewhere on East Street, in the Indianapolis area, and that POS nav system won't recognize East as a valid street. I haven't tried, since my wife can't enter data while we're moving ) to type in East as the street name.

Old 01-16-17, 04:31 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I have so many nosy neighbors too. Many are retired LEO's of some type. Any time an unfamiliar vehicle drives by, it's like an Amber alert. Several times I picked up a rental car at the airport and drove home (instead of taking the airport shuttles), as soon as I approached my neighborhood, I get a text asking if I knew of a certain color and make and model car driving in the neighborhood. I laughed and text back it is me!!!

LOL.

You have some good tips.

However, I have ADT and WiFi cameras so if my RX is stolen and the thieves decide to take a trip to my home they still have to get pass the coded garage door(entry into the house) if i did not change the homelink code, alarm,cameras, and the fact that i know my car is stolen and have the police searching for it.

No, more than likely the thieves will try to off-load the car as fast as they can for parts, not risk taking a trip to your home in the stolen vehicle.

Well, you never know because most thieves are not the brightest or the best decision making individuals.

And to top it all off, i have some very nosy neighbors who are retired and see "everything" in the neighborhood.

All I have to do is make one call to the HOA and tell them look out for my stolen car in the neighborhood and it will be like an amber alert in my neighborhood with text going to every phone to lookout and report my RX if it drive anywhere near my house.
Old 01-17-17, 11:50 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you guys know that Garmin is in the business of in-car navigation systems? I just found that out when riding in my friend's Maserati the other day. The whole thing looked really familiar. When asked he said that the supplier of the system is Garmin. Why can't Lexus do that??? I believe Lexus uses Denso, yes, the great people who make air filters, and other mechanical parts for many premium brand cars like Lexus and Mercedes. But, user interface???? I'd say not that great.

p.s. Not saying Maserati, an Italian maker, got all the stuff straightened out either. The NAV is great. However, climate control and radio are separate. Auto design people don't like that........ though I like the separate quick reach buttons.
Old 01-17-17, 11:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I'm going to have to say a few good word about the OEM system. Not because it is good or has become better. Because it hasn't changed!
I used Google when leaving Magic Kingdom in FL to route us to the hotel. Google prompted me to U-turn after we left the parking lot.
As a result, I was left with no choice, but to go back through the parking gates (no charge at least!). For a moment, I thought it was looking for a different exit from the parking.
No, it got us right back where we came from and tried to U-turn again into the parking, getting itself stuck in a loop.
I relied on the good ol' OEM nav to get us around Orlando, ignoring the fact that it was not traffic-aware.

On the way back home, Google detected traffic ahead and prompted to exit the freeway. Good thing we checked what it wanted to do, which was to get right back on the freeway!

So, that's progress for you. Some things left unchanged work better than the latest and greatest. Thanks, Google, for making the OEM nav look good.
Old 01-17-17, 11:59 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Did you guys know that Garmin is in the business of in-car navigation systems? I just found that out when riding in my friend's Maserati the other day. The whole thing looked really familiar. When asked he said that the supplier of the system is Garmin. Why can't Lexus do that??? I believe Lexus uses Denso, yes, the great people who make air filters, and other mechanical parts for many premium brand cars like Lexus and Mercedes. But, user interface???? I'd say not that great.

p.s. Not saying Maserati, an Italian maker, got all the stuff straightened out either. The NAV is great. However, climate control and radio are separate. Auto design people don't like that........ though I like the separate quick reach buttons.
Our Nav is made by Pioneer. Go figure.
Subaru Nav is powered by TomTom (my favorite of all).

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system