RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 11:42 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFWes
You should never put your home address in your car navigation. If your car is stolen they could drive right to your house. And if you have the Home Link set up. Right into your garage.
That's why I disconnected my garage door opener from the Lexus and don't even carry a remote in the car. Not just scared of someone stealing the RX but of someone breaking in while parked outside, which is most of the time.
Old 03-19-16, 11:48 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm.. but if they steal your car don't they have access to glove compartment where your proof of registration/insurance (with your address) typically is? Or are you so forward thinking that you don't carry those docs in your glove compartment?? But what's the percentage of car owners that go to such extent?
Old 03-19-16, 11:55 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
...access to glove compartment where your proof of registration/insurance (with your address) typically is...
Good Point

I lost (temporarily) a car because I kept the Vallet Key in the center console/arm-rest - and have yet to recover from the ridicule over that.
Old 03-20-16, 02:43 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking how to do this but have not found it yet. How do you make the pointer on the map always pointing upward? It is easier for me if it is instead of pointing downward or sideways. Thanks.
Old 03-20-16, 02:57 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Grab the navigation manual (you can download it), it is explained how to change map orientation, in my IS manual it is on page 88.
Old 03-20-16, 05:00 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I have been looking how to do this but have not found it yet. How do you make the pointer on the map always pointing upward? It is easier for me if it is instead of pointing downward or sideways. Thanks.
Hover over the orientation icon on the upper left an click it. That'll change it to always pointing forward.
Old 03-20-16, 09:51 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TomT127
That's why I disconnected my garage door opener from the Lexus and don't even carry a remote in the car. Not just scared of someone stealing the RX but of someone breaking in while parked outside, which is most of the time.
LOL.

Why not just clear the home-link of your garage codes so the garage opener is unable to open your garage.

Man, you really are concerned about thief.
Old 03-20-16, 09:57 PM
carguy75
Advanced

Hmmm.. but if they steal your car don't they have access to glove compartment where your proof of registration/insurance (with your address) typically is? Or are you so forward thinking that you don't carry those docs in your glove compartment?? But what's the percentage of car owners that go to such extent?
LOL.

I was thinking about the same thing while debating about putting my home address in Nav units and came up with the same conclusion.

My address is in my glove box with my registration/insurance card.

So I just programmed the home information in all my nav units and moved on.

Easier to find my way home than having to input it every time I go somewhere new on the return trip.
Old 03-20-16, 10:36 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carguy75
So I just programmed the home information in all my nav units and moved on.

Easier to find my way home than having to input it every time I go somewhere new on the return trip.
If you wanted to be more cunning you could program your neighbor's address or somebody else on the same street
Old 03-21-16, 12:50 AM
carguy75
Advanced

If you wanted to be more cunning you could program your neighbor's address or somebody else on the same street
It might work until your garage door opens when the thief use your homelink or opens the glove box and find your driver documents like the insurance card with your correct address.

Oops.

FYI, by "moved on" I meant that I stopped worrying about a thief using my navigation to find my house.

Not that I moved or left the house.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-21-16 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-21-16, 05:44 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 2013 RX, I sat in my drive and tried to program my "home" into the NAV several times. Each time it "defaulted" to the empty lot across the street.
Old 03-21-16, 05:51 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
It might work until your garage door opens when the thief use your homelink or opens the glove box and find your driver documents like the insurance card with your correct address.

Oops.
1) Program the address of a house a few blocks away. You shouldn't need the NAV to find your way from there.

2) Put those documents in a "passport" wallet, and hide it elsewhere in the car. I hope you only need occasional access to them.

Old 03-21-16, 06:16 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

If a car gets stolen and the thief wants to get into your home, 1), you can change the garage door code to n seconds. 2), they can find you based on your license plate, 3), hitting you when you most expect it makes for a very dumb criminal....okay, scratch the third one. There are some seriously dumb criminals out there.
Old 03-21-16, 07:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coachlkg
When I bought my 2013 RX, I sat in my drive and tried to program my "home" into the NAV several times. Each time it "defaulted" to the empty lot across the street.
At least you've got a street. Mine doesn't even know there is one.
It thinks we're on an off-roading expedition each time we leave the house.
Old 03-21-16, 08:35 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Originally Posted by coachlkg
1) Program the address of a house a few blocks away. You shouldn't need the NAV to find your way from there.

2) Put those documents in a "passport" wallet, and hide it elsewhere in the car. I hope you only need occasional access to them.

LOL.

You have some good tips.

However, I have ADT and WiFi cameras so if my RX is stolen and the thieves decide to take a trip to my home they still have to get pass the coded garage door(entry into the house) if i did not change the homelink code, alarm,cameras, and the fact that i know my car is stolen and have the police searching for it.

No, more than likely the thieves will try to off-load the car as fast as they can for parts, not risk taking a trip to your home in the stolen vehicle.

Well, you never know because most thieves are not the brightest or the best decision making individuals.

And to top it all off, i have some very nosy neighbors who are retired and see "everything" in the neighborhood.

All I have to do is make one call to the HOA and tell them look out for my stolen car in the neighborhood and it will be like an amber alert in my neighborhood with text going to every phone to lookout and report my RX if it drive anywhere near my house.

Last edited by carguy75; 03-21-16 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system