RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Old 02-03-14, 07:39 AM
HDD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 RX350.So far my experience with the Nav is that one cannot rely on it completely. I used it to navigate to a airport which I have been traveling to for the last 10 years. Mapquest, google maps gets you there in 55 min.using standard route. Lexus Nav gave me directions which would take 90 min.to get to the same destination. Tried playing with all options in the system. Same results.
Do your homework before you head out. Disappointing, needless to say after spending $$$ and getting a substandard product from a " top brand ".
Old 02-03-14, 07:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HDD
I have a 2013 RX350.So far my experience with the Nav is that one cannot rely on it completely. I used it to navigate to a airport which I have been traveling to for the last 10 years. Mapquest, google maps gets you there in 55 min.using standard route. Lexus Nav gave me directions which would take 90 min.to get to the same destination. Tried playing with all options in the system. Same results.
Do your homework before you head out. Disappointing, needless to say after spending $$$ and getting a substandard product from a " top brand ".
Technically speaking, the top brand is "Pioneer" in this case. And they make pretty decent aftermarket units. How did they manage to mess up this badly is beyond me as well. Could it be manufacturer specs that they had to deal with?
Old 02-04-14, 08:36 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what drives me nuts about the nav system.

I'm going to someone's house for a Christmas party. Address is 211 Whatever Street.
I enter the town and It finds Whatever Street but will not let me enter a number higher than two digits, the assumption being there is no address on that street higher than two digits. But there is!!!

Its not like this is a new street or house. The houses on the street were built in like 1965 so why won't the nav find it? No such problem on Google maps or my Garmin.

In this case it wasn't really a problem because I just put in 99 Whatever Street and just kept driving until I got to 211.

But I've had this happen in unfamiliar cities where streets are much longer (and less residential) and just getting as close as I can and driving around isn't really a good option.
Old 02-04-14, 10:13 AM
wase4711
Rookie

reading all these NAV horror stories make me feel better now about saving the 2000.00+ on my 2014 without NAV..
If I really need to find something in a strange place, my Google maps app, that is free, will always be there for me..
Old 02-04-14, 01:35 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should be clear that the problem above does not happen often, but maybe a couple times in the almost 2 years I've owned the car.
But its irritating when it happens.
Old 02-04-14, 02:22 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nav Settings

Originally Posted by HDD
I have a 2013 RX350.So far my experience with the Nav is that one cannot rely on it completely. I used it to navigate to a airport which I have been traveling to for the last 10 years. Mapquest, google maps gets you there in 55 min.using standard route. Lexus Nav gave me directions which would take 90 min.
In your Navigation set up. You can adjust your setting and driving times.

When I first got my RX. It was set up for shortest route possible. So it was always trying to take short cuts through neighborhoods. Instead of staying on the highways. Also the setting for driving times were set really low. Like 50 MPH for highway driving. Another setting to look at is Toll roads.

What I ended up doing is set a way points for getting to destinations. Like one for airport exit then one for airport parking.
Old 02-09-14, 08:23 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used the NAV yesterday for a short trip to Sonoma County, a restaurant in Sonoma that we have been to before and then home.

Searched POI for Cline and the system found our first destination and gave us good directions.

I called Destination Assist for the restaurant directions and the assistant deleted the Cline destination and added the Red Plum destination and again, good directions.

Used the Go Home button on the NAV screen to get directions home and again, no problems.

I like the two tones just at the location of the next turn and like how quickly the system figures out the way I am going rather than the route the NAV system picked.

We were going though some areas that flood and I wanted to see if the system would route me around any road problems. Turned out there were no problems and the routing was fine.

I think using the system when you don't really need it makes it easier to use when you do.

The Destination Assist was a BIG plus for us that we use as often as we can, sometimes to really find a place and sometimes just to keep active with the system. The folks have always been very pleasant and helpful.

We are happy with the NAV system and use it often.
Old 02-09-14, 08:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Destination assist is great. Recently used it when we couldn't get the voice command to recognize "Scuttlebutt Brewery". Destination Assist got us there quickly and easily!

I also, quite frequently, will send the address to the car via lexusdrivers before we head out. It's pretty infrequent that I am inputting an address while on the road. Between lexusdrivers and destination assist, we're covered.
Old 02-10-14, 06:08 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Tested my NAV on a restaurant about 25 miles from my home. The restaurant is about 1/2 mile from an Interstate exit ramp. The NAV wanted me to "go through the city" to get there. If I had followed the NAV instructions, I would have missed my reservation. However, the NAV directed me to the Interstate in order to go home.

Go figure.
Old 02-10-14, 06:29 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coachlkg
Tested my NAV on a restaurant about 25 miles from my home. The restaurant is about 1/2 mile from an Interstate exit ramp. The NAV wanted me to "go through the city" to get there. If I had followed the NAV instructions, I would have missed my reservation. However, the NAV directed me to the Interstate in order to go home.

Go figure.
Was that the only route the Nav gave you, or did it suggest 3 different routes and you hit enter before viewing which of the three was most beneficial to you?
Old 02-17-14, 08:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's my latest experience, this last weekend:
Found an animal shelter to drop off some stuff off on my iPhone.
We get in the car, I try to enter the name, no luck. Some not so kind words towards the latest Nav update I just had installed on this useless POS system. Again, iPhone to the rescue. Once click and off we go.
Later that day, we were going to a restaurant on the other side of town. We were already driving when I remembered we need to get directions. This gets me all the time. I need to be parked to enter not preset destination. Again, iPhone, here we go!

P.S.
The road to my house that was built more than 3 years ago is still not on the map. So much for that update being the latest and greatest. At least I started getting 6 year-old POIs that were not there before.
Old 02-19-14, 11:30 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
P.S.
The road to my house that was built more than 3 years ago is still not on the map. So much for that update being the latest and greatest. At least I started getting 6 year-old POIs that were not there before.
LOL, I feel your frustration. I normally pre-plan using google-map and use TomTom in conjunction with OEM. TomTom can be updated anytime including 4x map update a year so it has the latest data including traffic/speed cam alerts.

I would love to see manufacture for US spec vehicles with add/design "space" for after market device mounting for portable devices.
Old 02-24-14, 09:28 AM
txjeff
Driver

I tried to get to a car dealer using the Nav on Saturday. I put in the specific street address. It comes up with 2potential choices, both of which are the incorrect city. I put the same address into my Garmin. It came up with 10 potential choices. 4 of them are the correct city, but which one to choose? I guessed at one. But, once I got moving, I decided, this is just too insecure. So I pulled over, and put in a Category of Place and it found the dealer exactly. After 45 wasted minutes, I was there within 10 minutes, thanks to Garmin. After they gave me a loaner car, I drove to the nearby town to get some lunch. Little did I know the dealer was about a mile from this town I knew well. I literally could have gotten off the highway, gone 10 miles down a 45 mph road and save a huge amount of time off the trip. From now on, I scope out the trip on the Net in advance.
Old 02-24-14, 04:24 PM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Was that the only route the Nav gave you, or did it suggest 3 different routes and you hit enter before viewing which of the three was most beneficial to you?
It always offers 3 choices, and I always pick the one that takes the least amount of time.
Old 02-24-14, 04:30 PM
coachlkg
Rookie

When I went to Florida last Saturday, I entered a street address in my NAV as my destination. All went well until the last turn of the trip. The NAV sent me into a "boat storage lot" instead of the street address I entered. Luckily I could see my destination from where the NAV sent me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system