RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 03:18 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus GPS I think in all Lexus car are a bit dated. My 05 Audi A6 before I traded it in was more advanced. Mostly that it had a altitude sensor so it would be able to tell the difference between a surface road and a tunnel right below. With out RX it is not able to deduce whether the car is on a surface road or graphically show if the car is on a surface road. You can't also set GPS to a non surface road.
Old 11-25-13, 05:37 AM
Teckno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 270x series, map update

Is there a self service way to update the map using cd/DVD or USB ? Or must I get the dealer to load, can I do it myself with other hardware ?
Old 11-25-13, 10:23 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Teckno
Is there a self service way to update the map using cd/DVD or USB ? Or must I get the dealer to load, can I do it myself with other hardware ?
Buy the USB key for $169 and pay the dealer just as much to install it.
Old 11-26-13, 06:14 AM
ES300_NJ
Rookie

As part of the purchase of my 2010 RX dealer updated the NAV to 13.1. Does any one know what that does for me? Aside from new roads? I mean are there any features they added or bugs they removed?
Thx.
Old 11-26-13, 06:39 AM
mshumack
Driver

My 1st gen RX ('01 RX300) Nav system has an "Avoid" option. So you can program it to avoid a construction zone - or in your case, the Main Rd parrallel to the highway. Of course you have to do this in advance.
I assume the 3rd Gen RX's have this too, but I have not had my RX350 long enough to explore/confirm this feature.
Old 11-26-13, 06:49 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ES300_NJ
As part of the purchase of my 2010 RX dealer updated the NAV to 13.1. Does any one know what that does for me? Aside from new roads? I mean are there any features they added or bugs they removed?
Thx.
Updates are for map and POI data only. Any changes regardings the "brains" of the Nav is beyond that -- so no "fixed bugs or enhancements to the interface" if that's what you mean.
Old 11-26-13, 07:30 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bug fixes come through Firmware updates, not Map updates. Lexus does do firmware updates to fix bugs, but finding out what is available for what vehicle is difficult. Usually firmware updates are only done if you are experiencing a known issue.

I have an early 2010 model that apparently had Gen5 firmware on it. When I bough the latest maps foo my 2010, the maps were Gen6. The dealer told me that they had to update firmware that brought me up to Gen6. Then they could install the new maps. This took a couple days of hell to figure out.

You could ask your dealer to install the latest firmware for you car. They may or may not know what fixes are included so its hard to tell up front if its worthwhile. They will probably charge you 1 hour labor.
Old 12-02-13, 06:05 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by BertL
Updates are for map and POI data only. Any changes regardings the "brains" of the Nav is beyond that -- so no "fixed bugs or enhancements to the interface" if that's what you mean.
Also, the maps and POI updates are years behind. I built my home 10 years ago and the Lexus Nav makes me use my neighbor's address for home. It sometimes routes me around major roads that have been finished for years.

I use an iPad App to double check my Lexus Nav when I am going to an unfamiliar place.
Old 12-02-13, 09:56 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coachlkg
Also, the maps and POI updates are years behind. I built my home 10 years ago and the Lexus Nav makes me use my neighbor's address for home. It sometimes routes me around major roads that have been finished for years.

I use an iPad App to double check my Lexus Nav when I am going to an unfamiliar place.
Submit those changes to Lexus and some day, maybe some day they will be added.....

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/submit-feedback/
Old 12-03-13, 05:35 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, a good idea to submit errors found vs. just complain, but it can still take a long time to get changes into the mapping database. A few years ago, it took nearly 4 years for my new development in Marietta, GA (a suburb of Atlanta) to get into the maps (and yes, I did submit it as a needed change ).

FWIW, as we discuss this every few months it seems -- the map database is NOT managed by Lexus -- they source it from Navteq. I suspect licensing has become tighter in recent MYs, not just with Lexus but other mfrgs too, hence why people can't copy DVDs and install updates themselves. Also, some of you may be surprised by the many other companies use Navteq mapping solutions -- including BMW, Fiat, Hyundai, Jaguar, Porsche, Onstar, Garmin, and other companies like Yahoo and Microsoft.
Old 12-04-13, 08:33 AM
BobAgain
Driver School Candidate

My wife just got a new RX350 and we are underwhelmed with the GPS so far. (why not just outsource the whole thing to Garmin??)

It appears that we can't enter addresses while the car is in motion. Is that correct? If so, is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Last edited by BobAgain; 12-04-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-04-13, 08:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BobAgain
My wife just got a new RX350 and we are underwhelmed with the GPS so far. (why not just outsource the whole thing to Garmin??)

It appears that we can't enter addresses while the car is in motion. Is that correct? If so, is there a way around this?

Thanks.
That is correct. You can always try using voice commands.
There is a device ($$$) that adds a button to cut the speed sensor signal to the nav unit so it can be operated while in motion. The downside is that the navigation (and bread crumbs) stop during that period. It has to either time-out or manually reset via the same button.
Trust me, it gets me mad to when my passenger cannot enter an address. We stop at parking lots to get this thing going. Often enough, it is much quicker to grab the iPhone and tell Siri where you want to go.

P.S.
It also limits the history of previous destinations while in motion. Same for dialed phone numbers.
Old 12-04-13, 09:22 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks.
1) Voice commands
2) Destination Assist (If you subscribe)
3) If you have a 2014 model and an iPhone, you can use Siri Eyes Free
Old 12-04-13, 12:08 PM
RogersDA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.
There are a few after-market products that you can get.

One is the Navigation and Video Enhancement Series from Prestigious Society.
http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=5

Beat-Sonic also appears to have a bypass system.
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/nav-dvd-...ota-lexus.html

I do not have either one, but I do think they have been mentioned on these forums quite a bit.
Old 12-04-13, 03:13 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmccombs
1) Voice commands
2) Destination Assist (If you subscribe)
3) If you have a 2014 model and an iPhone, you can use Siri Eyes Free
I can't stress THIS enough.
It takes a while to break the habit of using your fingers to input stuff.
but once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you havent't used it earlier.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system