RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Drove vehicle with no key

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 04:04 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Drove vehicle with no key

I know this was discussed way back but I can't seem to put the correct search string together to find it. So I am posting my experience in the hope that it helps someone else.

I really thought that if you exited the vehicle and left it running with no smart key in it, that the immobilizer would kick in when the shifter was moved from Park. What I found out is that the immobilizer only kicks in if you try to start the vehicle without the key being in the vehicle.

This came up after I was able to drive a friends Highlander without the key. So as an experiment, when I left the golf course last night a friend started his new SRX and I started my 450h. We then exited the vehicles (about 100 yards apart) and then exchanged keys. We both then drove about 2 miles keeping about a quarter of a mile separation, where we met and got our respective keys back.

It was windy in the parking lot at the golf course, so when I got out of my RX it was difficult to hear the warning beeps.

I have grown so use to the smart key that I will probably never own another vehicle without one. However, it does not come without risk!
Old 06-12-12, 04:50 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default It's used to start the car, not run it

You use your smart key to unlock and start the car. However once it's shut down if the smart key is not around, the car still will be . You can then youse your enform to find the car if it was stolen while you left it running.
Originally Posted by wa3cuj
I know this was discussed way back but I can't seem to put the correct search string together to find it. So I am posting my experience in the hope that it helps someone else.

I really thought that if you exited the vehicle and left it running with no smart key in it, that the immobilizer would kick in when the shifter was moved from Park. What I found out is that the immobilizer only kicks in if you try to start the vehicle without the key being in the vehicle.

This came up after I was able to drive a friends Highlander without the key. So as an experiment, when I left the golf course last night a friend started his new SRX and I started my 450h. We then exited the vehicles (about 100 yards apart) and then exchanged keys. We both then drove about 2 miles keeping about a quarter of a mile separation, where we met and got our respective keys back.

It was windy in the parking lot at the golf course, so when I got out of my RX it was difficult to hear the warning beeps.

I have grown so use to the smart key that I will probably never own another vehicle without one. However, it does not come without risk!
Old 06-12-12, 06:35 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep!! And since my cellphone will be in the car, I hope someone is around to lend me theirs, or take to a nearby phone! Do public phones even exist anymore? (What does Superman do?)
Old 06-12-12, 01:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Ya i almost drove to krogers without the key once.
Old 06-12-12, 01:40 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Makes it easy at the car wash when the attendant takes your car. You dont have to remember to leave your key in it along with house keys attached!
Old 06-12-12, 04:24 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I am missing something here...if your RX is running and you stip, walk away with your key fob in your pocket, the car will continue to run?....no matter how far away you are?...it will not shut down by itself?.....I better remember this.....I was under the wrong impression.....
Old 06-12-12, 04:59 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was test driving the RX before my purchase. The salesman started the car, then turned the car over to my wife and myself for our test drive. We drove off and got the missing key message warning. I realized that the salesman had accidentally removed the key. We just completed the test drive while being careful not to turn the car off. I think this is how it should work. If your key/key battery completely failed while you were driving, you wouldn't want the car to simply stop.
Old 06-13-12, 01:16 AM
NJSTSX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned this the hard way when driving my girlfriends '10 RX. I dropped her off at one store while she had the key in her purse and then drove down the street to a differnt store not realizing and turned the car off. Luckily I wasnt that far away and walked to ge the key I know that my old Infiniti G37 could drive without the key also.
Old 06-13-12, 05:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
If your key/key battery completely failed while you were driving, you wouldn't want the car to simply stop.
This is the issue...
Old 06-13-12, 06:39 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

It does make sense now that I hear different views....it did happened to me once...my wife went to shop and I said "ok I am going down to auto part store"..when I shut the RX off I realized that my wife had the "key fob"...and we were about a mile apart.....boy did I hear it...lol.....
Old 06-13-12, 08:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There's always the wallet key. It's expensive as heck but at least you don't have to worry about being stuck, unless you forget your wallet
Old 06-13-12, 11:30 AM
shanmand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me this is the best feature, they did a smash and grab on my wife and ran away with her keys, fortunately because of this feature she was able to drive home. The down side was that it cost me an arm n leg to replace the keys.
Old 06-13-12, 04:19 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Mine came with the credit card thing and I never take my key fobs anywhere anymore.
Old 06-13-12, 10:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Do you guys not carry a keychain with you? I always carry a keychain in my left front pocket. On that are the smart keys for both our cars, my house key, the key to my office, etc. I never leave home without it. My wife also has her keychain in her purse with the smartkeys to both cars. So, if we're in the car we have both keys.
Old 06-14-12, 08:15 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
Yep!! And since my cellphone will be in the car, I hope someone is around to lend me theirs, or take to a nearby phone! Do public phones even exist anymore? (What does Superman do?)
Interesting question about Superman. Public phones are not a good place to change anyway since they have glass or plastic windows. And being a public place one can be arrested for indecent exposure. As for Superman I would think that since he moves with the speed of light that he can make the outfit change even while in midair.

More than once I left the car with my wife sitting on it. It will give you a nasty beep.

Quick Reply: Drove vehicle with no key