RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Drove vehicle with no key

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 09:22 PM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
Sorry, I am missing something here...if your RX is running and you stip, walk away with your key fob in your pocket, the car will continue to run?....no matter how far away you are?...it will not shut down by itself?.....I better remember this.....I was under the wrong impression.....
Yes it happened to me and I posted a co
Moment about it too. I aparantly did not push the Start/Stop button hard enough and exited the RX and went to lunch with the key in my pocket. Came back and the car was still running.
So now I actually hit the button and wait for all the lights to turn off before I get out. Then I make sure I lock the car before I move away.
Old 06-14-12, 10:17 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"they can make the keys "smart"...but the driver.. that's a different story" - Anonymous
Old 06-15-12, 08:25 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....my story yesterday was different and funny....my wife and I were in the car, my key with me and my wife's in her purse...we were waiting to pick up my grand daughter from school and still had an hour to go (parking is difficult as you get closer to 3:00 pm)...so my wife had the bright idea.."why don't we take a walk around the block for excercise?"....and I said "ok"...she steps out and I am trying to lock the car after I shut/press the bottom...well the beeping would not stop....my wife seeing that I was still at the car comes back and asked .."what is wrong with you?..lets go"...I said "I can't, the f&** wont stop beeping and it will not allow me to lock the doors"...then very innocently and in a low voice she said.."oh I forgot to tell you that I was leaving my purse in the floor of the backseat".......we walked around the block and it took 30 minutes....she in front and I 20 feet behind!!!!
Old 06-15-12, 10:44 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
Sorry, I am missing something here...if your RX is running and you stip, walk away with your key fob in your pocket, the car will continue to run?....no matter how far away you are?...it will not shut down by itself?.....I better remember this.....I was under the wrong impression.....
it's basically the same as leaving a physically key on the ignition..

here's what i do.. and what i tell my family members to do..
when stepping out of the car, whether it's for 5 minutes or 5 hours..
ALWAYS:

1. shut the engine off
2. lock the car/suv either by pressing on the door handle or using the key FOB

obviously, if you failed to do number 1.. number 2 won't happen as well.

this simple practice.. when converted to habit will also prevent instances of left keys inside the car.
Old 06-16-12, 05:41 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

......even is #1 is done...if key is in the car #2 won't happen by pressing the door handle....
Old 06-25-12, 07:19 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yeehawbob
Yes it happened to me and I posted a co
Moment about it too. I aparantly did not push the Start/Stop button hard enough and exited the RX and went to lunch with the key in my pocket. Came back and the car was still running.
So now I actually hit the button and wait for all the lights to turn off before I get out. Then I make sure I lock the car before I move away.
Did you disable the "retractable seat" future?

Also, enable the SOund ON when locking/unlocking-the sound is not too loud, but it will let you know that RX is locked./unlocked.
Old 03-11-16, 11:03 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving off without the key fob.

I find it a little concerning that I can actually drive off in our RX350 without the key fob in it. I know there is a warning on the dash, but that doesn't stop someone from stealing it. May be a park lock out would be a better solution. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-11-16, 11:34 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It has to be started, for the beginners. Can't do that without the fob.
Old 03-11-16, 11:41 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
It has to be started, for the beginners. Can't do that without the fob.
Correct, and I know at. But if it's running, and you leave it with the fob, it can be driven off.
Old 03-11-16, 11:45 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, it is the same as leaving the key in the ignition lock. Otherwise if the remote battery becomes low, your vehicle could shut down on an intersection, leaving you stranded.

Although, I do like your idea of second authentication to unlock the parking lever.
Old 03-11-16, 11:04 PM
drobbins
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would point out that this isn't unique to Lexus. Every vehicle I've owned or driven with a fob operates the same way.
Old 03-12-16, 09:21 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GRJFER
I find it a little concerning that I can actually drive off in our RX350 without the key fob in it. I know there is a warning on the dash, but that doesn't stop someone from stealing it. May be a park lock out would be a better solution. Just my thoughts.
Well, my 2011 RX will not start unless the key fob is fairly close to the RX.

Therefore, if someone is crazy enough to get in and start it up with you only being a few feet away then you might as well let that individual have the car and pick it up when the car be comes immobile when they park it somewhere.

Crime happen, which can not be controlled no matter if the key fob works remotely or not.

Note: If you have child in the RX, shut off the ignition and lock it so that no one jumps in and steal the car.

Something like that happened in the news here in Atlanta where the parent left the car running with a baby in the back seat and the car was stolen, good news was that the thieves left the car and baby unharmed a small distance away.

If you are that concerned about crime, lock you doors and shut off the RX, then no one should be able to drive off with it keyless start or not.
Old 03-13-16, 05:57 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy75
Well, my 2011 RX will not start unless the key fob is fairly close to the RX.

Therefore, if someone is crazy enough to get in and start it up with you only being a few feet away then you might as well let that individual have the car and pick it up when the car be comes immobile when they park it somewhere.

Crime happen, which can not be controlled no matter if the key fob works remotely or not.

Note: If you have child in the RX, shut off the ignition and lock it so that no one jumps in and steal the car.

Something like that happened in the news here in Atlanta where the parent left the car running with a baby in the back seat and the car was stolen, good news was that the thieves left the car and baby unharmed a small distance away.

If you are that concerned about crime, lock you doors and shut off the RX, then no one should be able to drive off with it keyless start or not.
No children to worry about, so that isn't a concern. As for someone trying to steal while I'm in proximity of it, yes they can have it and we'll figure things out after.

I guess the biggest concern is as I read a post on here where someone started the vehicle with their fob, however their spouse drove off without a fob. So arriving at a destination they were then forced to walk to the vehicle to restart it. As I said before a park lock out would help prevent this.

Different vehicle and it uses a key, but my silverado with factory remote start will not allow me to drive off without the key first being inserted.
Old 03-13-16, 07:29 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't make this mistake...

You get in the car and drop your wife off at the salon then head off to the gym. You shut your car off and lock it only to realize you don't have your key fob. Your car started because your wife had hers and now you are a couple miles away without the key. Good day for a long, long walk, lol.
Old 03-13-16, 07:49 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GRJFER
No children to worry about, so that isn't a concern. As for someone trying to steal while I'm in proximity of it, yes they can have it and we'll figure things out after.

I guess the biggest concern is as I read a post on here where someone started the vehicle with their fob, however their spouse drove off without a fob. So arriving at a destination they were then forced to walk to the vehicle to restart it. As I said before a park lock out would help prevent this.

Different vehicle and it uses a key, but my silverado with factory remote start will not allow me to drive off without the key first being inserted.
LOL.

Me and wife have joked about that happening when we drop each other off at the airport.

However, I never leave the keys in my pocket so I would not make that mistake hopefully.

I still can see how that could happen if someone was not paying attending.

Quick Reply: Drove vehicle with no key