RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Please help me decide: Audi Q5 vs Lexus RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 10:17 PM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me decide: Audi Q5 vs Lexus RX350

I can't decide between which car to buy. I'm not that much of a gearhead, so things like acceleration, torque and HP are not that much of a concern for me. What I am mostly interested in is comfort. I don't want to hear annoying noise, and I don't want to "feel the road" like many driving enthusiasts tend to enjoy.

I don't really care about cost as long as its below 50k. I'm a 25 y/o male with a dog, road bike/surf board I use frequently and I drive about 10k miles/yr in Los Angeles. I also intend on owning my next vehicle for 7+ years so things like frequency of breaking down and costs to repair are of some concern unless its less than a $1-2k difference over 7-8 years. I realize that many people perceive the RX 350 as a feminine car. Am not that concerned with what people will think about my car - just about which one is better for me and/or better overall and WHY.

Has anyone driven both cars that can comment?

Edit: I have moved this thread to RX350 forum, which seems more appropriate. .. Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-28-12 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Move comments
Old 05-29-12, 06:20 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gambit32
I can't decide between which car to buy. I'm not that much of a gearhead, so things like acceleration, torque and HP are not that much of a concern for me. What I am mostly interested in is comfort. I don't want to hear annoying noise, and I don't want to "feel the road" like many driving enthusiasts tend to enjoy.

I don't really care about cost as long as its below 50k. I'm a 25 y/o male with a dog, road bike/surf board I use frequently and I drive about 10k miles/yr in Los Angeles. I also intend on owning my next vehicle for 7+ years so things like frequency of breaking down and costs to repair are of some concern unless its less than a $1-2k difference over 7-8 years. I realize that many people perceive the RX 350 as a feminine car. Am not that concerned with what people will think about my car - just about which one is better for me and/or better overall and WHY.

Edit: I have moved this thread to RX350 forum, which seems more appropriate. .. Salim
Many places STILL don't have Audi dealers so you might get limited information....Did you know their are at least 4 states that still have NO Lexus dealers!!!
Old 05-29-12, 06:54 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All the things you described is what will experience with Lexus RX drive, smooth, 7yrs, etc, etc. I drove Q5 2.0T for the first time and it is drives different from RX350, you feel the road, its preppy, reponsive when you want it .. loved it. The only thing I am not sure about it is how worry free it is compared to RX with reliabilty.
Old 05-29-12, 08:43 AM
BP1203
Rookie

If you enjoy spending hours at your Audi dealer as they bleed you dry as things start to break, buy a Q5. If you want a reliable ride, buy a Lexus.
Old 05-29-12, 09:14 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I love the way the Audi looks, and admire them. Ultimately, we chose the RX for exactly the reasons you bring up. In my mind, the German brands focus on the driving experience (handling, power, "road feel", etc) that you say is unimportant to you. Lexus tends to focus on the passenger experience, while sacrificing the driving experience as little as possible. The materials, the design, the sound insulation, and the quality of the RX interior is what won us over, but it still has enough power, and the handling is more than acceptable to me. I agree with you, an SUV is not intended to be a race car.

The real issue for me is the reliability and service. I had an Audi years ago, and swore off them entirely based on that experience. I reconsidered, based on the Q series. But in speaking with other Audi owners, I was scared off for all the same reasons. Plus, my son was a service writer for an Audi repair facility, and he warned me off of the Q series specifically. He likes the cars a LOT, but really didn't like the Q series from a reliability standpoint. On the contrary, reliability and service are a hallmark of Lexus. I have enjoyed my experience in this area so much, I just bought another Lexus (IS350) for a second car.

Besides …. I think the Q5 is too small, and the Q7 is too big. The RX is juuust right!
Old 05-29-12, 10:24 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. What are your thoughts on the Ford Edge (both the company and the car)?
Old 05-29-12, 10:28 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't go there. Two Ford lemons in the family. They're the reason I'm driving a Lexus.
Old 05-29-12, 10:30 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

What do you dislike about them?
Old 05-29-12, 10:50 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 12 450H and love it. My girlfriend has an 07 Edge. Although it has been very reliable and drives nicely it is not anywhere close to the same thing. Whenever we go anywhere, we take the Lexus.

All the companies now have way better reliability but the bottom line is that an Edge to an RX is like comparing lite beer to single malt scotch.
Old 05-29-12, 10:56 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was looking, I rejected the Q5 for reliability. I rejected the Edge because the interior materials like the plastic door panels (among other things) did not really feel right as the price started to really climb as you add options to the car. If you are looking at one that is a lower model with a lower price, it might be appropriate. Plus at the time I was looking, Ford had nothing in the finance area, but this is probably not important right now.

It sounds like you are looking for alternatives you can consider in addition to the RX. I purchased the 450h. But, like you have a broad range of outdoor activities that I like to pursue. So I purchased a second car just to support that use. I picked up a Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i. It comes standard with a very clever roof rack system that is easier to use because the car is lower. In addition, it has a CVT transmission that is extremely smooth. The car is rated at 22/29 MPG, but it is very easy to get 32 - 33 MPG out of it on the freeway. The leather seats are very comfortable. It drives more like a car than a SUV and that is a good thing. A fully loaded vehicle is about 32K and can be purchased for about 28K something. It has an excellent AWD system. You can get a Subaru Mastercard that pays 3% back. This means you will never pay for any scheduled maintenance or extended warranty. For every mile I put on my 450h, I put about 2.5 on the Outback. In coming months, that may climb to 3 or 4 to 1. If you goal is fun activities and trips, you might consider it.

Last edited by UCSB; 05-29-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-29-12, 11:09 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the Subaru recommendation I will check that out.

Going back to overall ride, say there was a 1 -------- 10 spectrum of overall ride "cushyness" rankings.

How would Honda civic rank? (this was my previous car which I didn't mind the cushyness on).
How would the Lexus rank?
How would Q5 rank?
Old 05-29-12, 11:11 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Also, thoughts on the Mercedes BLK / M class?
Old 05-29-12, 11:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Consumer Reports says the reliability of the Q5 V6 is Well Below Average and is not Recommended. Reliability of the 2.0 has been Average. This is from their Owners Surveys.

GLK Reliability is Average and the car is Recommended.
Old 05-29-12, 11:48 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Don't go there. Two Ford lemons in the family. They're the reason I'm driving a Lexus.
X2. Stay away from Ford.
Old 05-29-12, 11:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the Subaru recommendation I will check that out.

Going back to overall ride, say there was a 1 -------- 10 spectrum of overall ride "cushyness" rankings.

How would Honda civic rank? (this was my previous car which I didn't mind the cushyness on).
How would the Lexus rank?
How would Q5 rank?
How would Honda civic rank? 6.5(this was my previous car which I didn't mind the cushyness on).
How would the Lexus rank? Depends on which size rims, as they make a difference in ride quality. But around an 8.
How would Q5 rank? 4, IMO the Audi will ride very harsh, it doesn't sound like the Audi is a good match for you.

Quick Reply: Please help me decide: Audi Q5 vs Lexus RX350