RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Factory defect Rx^^^NEED Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 05:43 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just looked at mine. You're photos clearly show your door is not right and you can also compare at the dealership. I'd go back and one more time ask him to take back the car and if he refuses ask him to do it in writing and then contact Corporate with your photos and a detailed letter. It's a PITA but in the end you'll get satisfaction. I would not accept that car period. You can be sure the car did not leave the factory looking like that.
Originally Posted by rx2012
Here is the picture before fix.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-24-12 at 05:45 AM. Reason: correction
Old 05-24-12, 05:59 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

RX2012,

Can you look to see if there are VIN tags attached to these doors?
Old 05-24-12, 06:03 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

rx2012,

Is it really a defect or as what others have said, your dealer has sold you a damaged car after their terrible fix?

This kind of defect does not pass the factory quality control from Lexus or even Toyota.

Years ago, I bought my first Lexus and there was some defects but they are difficult to spot unless you are extremely detail-oriented.

The first time when I suspected something went wrong when they made that particular car was the narrower Camry footstep plate being installed on the passenger side. It was found when I did a detailed car wash. Then I found out more defects -- a slightly improper seating of the window moulding from the front windshield, slight water leaking from one back door, a lot of paint dusts on the roof, a defective extra clear coat drop on the hood near the grille...

To keep the story short, the dealership offered to fix or replace them but I refused. I contacted Lexus Canada and after a few months (b/c they can't locate that model with the same package), I got a new car.

So in your case, filing a complaint to Lexus Canada and let them take care of the rest. Don't settle for a new door especially it appears the your dealership was not honest to you in the first place and they may have cause some more damages (probably unintentional) which you have a constant battle with them.

I would also change the dealership for service.

Also PM'd for more info.

Last edited by AndyL; 05-24-12 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 08:51 AM
rx2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the replies. I tried to contact the sales manager. But he has not call me back. I will email Lexus Canada today with all these pictures. Thank you again.
Old 05-24-12, 08:52 AM
rx2012
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
RX2012,

Can you look to see if there are VIN tags attached to these doors?
where | can find the VIN tags?
Old 05-24-12, 10:12 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Standard place for all cars is lower windshield drivers side and drivers door jam. Also your paperwork (('d copy and include in letter to Lexus Canada). The Vin is in several places on the car, your manual can give you precise details on that.

Good luck and keep us up to date if you can.
Originally Posted by rx2012
where | can find the VIN tags?
Old 05-24-12, 10:15 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes it is on the door (the interior side when you open) but depends on door side (left or right).

As others say... try to change/replace the damaged car (certainly by themselves or transporter).
If you look at the Ad from Lexus (Pursuit of Perfection) you can argue.... where is the perfection here?

keep us posted anyway

Cheers from France (well ... London, UK, today)
A
Old 05-24-12, 04:03 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not painted at factory!

Originally Posted by InRBigness
If they order a door from the Cambridge factory it will be painted in the factory like all the other doors they make, Thy know the paint code and should not be an issue at all.

Let us know how it goes
Just had both right side doors skins replaced with new factory ones because some person entered one of Waterloo Region's infamous rotaries without yielding the right of way and sideswiped my RX. The dealership's (Heffner Lexus) body shop replaced both door skins but they arrived in primer and had to be painted by the shop. Several Lexus plant employees were under the impression that the skins would arrive painted but apparently they don't. Body shop did a great job though!

The repair on the door shown by RX2012 is awful. I agree 100% that he should report the dealer to Lexus Canada and include his photos. What dealership is trying to pawn this car off on him as new?

Last edited by kwbuggy; 05-24-12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 07:38 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the dealer today because my back tailgate sits on the bumper in the middle. There is no space at all. It has scraped (very faintly) the paint where it rubs. They have ordered a new bumper to replace the one that is on the car. There was never any suggestion of "fixing it" they came right out and said they would be ordering a new bumper cover and replacing it. If they will do that for me, I dont understand why your dealer would not just order you a door from the factory.

Last edited by InRBigness; 05-25-12 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 08:24 PM
rx2012
Driver School Candidate

Hi all. I just sent a letter to Lexus Canada with all the photos. I will update when I get reply from them. Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 05-25-12, 10:00 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I was at the dealer today because my back tailgate sits on the bumper in the middle. There is no space at all. It has scraped (very faintly) the paint where it rubs. They have ordered a new bumper to replace the one that is on the car. There was never any suggestion of "fixing it" they came right out and said they would be ordering a new bumper cover and replacing it. If they will do that for me, I dont understand why your dealer would not just order you a door from the factory.
They are trying to cut comers with the op
Old 06-03-12, 01:40 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Question Where did you get this car?

Since I also live in Ontario I don't ever want to deal with this crooked company. They have clearly tried to sell you a damaged car and don't want to admit this. Please post the dealership name on the thread you started.

I deal with Heffner Lexus in Kitchener and think they are great.
Old 06-05-12, 09:08 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Canadian Lexus vehicles do not have the many VIN tags attached to doors and fenders etc that US ones do-despite the fact that in many cases they originate in the same factory. I think you should call Lexus Head Office in Scarborough or ask your dealer (or another) who the area rep is. I was not happy with the seats in my 2010 RX nor the awful Dunlop tires and the dealer would not switch the tires for Michelins (mine originated from Japan because Ultra Prem's did not come from Cambridge in 2010 and no 350"s came from Japan for Cdn markets with Michelins) Lexus HQ swaped out the seats and changed the tires for me. I would give you the name of the fellow that I dealt with but he is now with Scion but I cornered him at the Toronto Auto show. Its too easy at times to give lip service to a letter but bugging the area rep when you know the name is different. and he was fantastic - even called me back for follow-up!! I think you should name the dealer since they don't seem to have been up front with you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease..I have dealt with 4 dealers--three in the GTA and one already mentioned in KW area and I have been pleased with the treatment (except the refusal of one to swap tires). I am in the market for a 2013 and it will have Michelins or there is NO deal.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 06-06-12, 05:46 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCSB
There is no way that I would swap out a door for these relatively minor defects. A new door will mean new paint on big portion of your new car. I would have just fixed this myself. If I was you, I would just fix it now yourself. It might not be right or fair, but at least you would not screw up your new car.
WOW, I'm going to assume you are kidding here. First of all, how many people are capable of doing top notch body work and second, why the hell should he? He just paid $45-50k for a brand new car and he's supposed to do major repairs himself? I don't think so. That looks like a case of dealer cover-up. I'd have no problem with a door swap from another brand new car, but you have to ask yourself, What else did he try to hide?
Going to corporate is the right thing to do. The dealer needs to be reported, and you deserve a brand new car--which is what you paid for!!

Keep us informed. And do let your fellow Canadians know who the dealer is, so they can avoid him!
Old 08-11-12, 04:15 AM
rx2012
Driver School Candidate

Default Aug11,2012 UPDATE

Hi all, after 2months waiting, and several contact with manufacturer rep, the dealer agreed to exchange a new door. Or give me $2000 cash if I keep the defect door. I am not sure is it fair or not? Or I should insist to exchange a new car?

Quick Reply: Factory defect Rx^^^NEED Help