RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX450h New Car Features -- Complete Technical Listing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 11:06 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Post 2013 RX450h New Car Features -- Complete Technical Listing

Folks,
I've been doing some research in TIS attempting to identify details about my 2013 RX450h arriving in about 3 weeks. Anyway, as I've been scanning documents the last few hours, I thought it might be useful to others to provide extracts of sections of the various technical documents identifying the minute detail in each of the systems that were changed between 2012 and 2013 RX450h models. (Remember, this is not marketing info as to what features or options are packaged with what, but a technical view of everything the RX450h technically has to offer.)

I have listed all sections I found and indicate below with "no changes" where I didn't see anything of note. There were some big ah-ha's for me that we have not seen in previous publicized material such as the new Enform 2.0 Nav is a new HDD assembly behind the dash (hence why it can't be upgraded into 2010-12's), a new front proximity system to emit noise when running on electric only (no more stealth mode), some sort of 20-minute auto-off timer change to Smart Access, and other more minor tweaks across at least half the systems as we'd expect from Lexus. I read another thread a while back about the heated steering wheel, but can't seem to find it now -- the answer is, only the non-wood hand grip areas are heated from what I see in the diagrams.

Now, to head off the questions… I'm not an engineer or technical car guy, and don't have more information that what I've listed below, and I don't plan to renew my access to TIS. If someone needs an RX350 version of this or more technical detail than the extracts below, your best bet is to purchase your own 2-day access to the material here: http://techinfo.toyota.com for 15 bucks. It's pretty easy to get around in.

Happy reading! Enjoy!

LEXUS 2013 RX450H NEW CAR FEATURES

AUDIO / VISUAL / TELEMATICS

Audio & Visual System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(a) The 2013 models have been modified from the 2012 models as shown below:
(1) The design of the following items in the combination meter assembly has been changed:
• Indicator and warning light layout
• Hybrid System Indicator
• LCD (ODO/TRIP display and shift position indicator)
(2) A function that changes meter panel illumination color in accordance with the vehicle driving conditions has been added.
(3) The following functions that can be enabled or disabled in the electronic features control mode of the multi-information display have been changed:
• Sport Mode Switch: Added
• AFS ON/OFF Switch: Discontinued
• EV Mode Switch: Discontinued
(4) Blind spot monitor system related warning messages have been added to the warning messages displayed on the multi-information display.
(5) The text of the warning messages for the maintenance required reminder function, which are displayed on the multi-information display, has been changed.
(6) The display design of the headup display has been changed

Lexus Enform System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The display and navigation module display has been combined with the radio receiver assembly, becoming integrated into the multi-media module receiver assembly.
(2) Due to the adoption of a new type HDD navigation system, the Apps service has been added to the LEXUS ENFORM.

Safety Connect System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The safety connect system has been adopted on models with the Lexus display audio system.
(2) The display and navigation module display has been combined with the radio receiver assembly, becoming integrated into the multi-media module receiver assembly.

Garage Door Opener
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The location of the garage door opener switch has been changed to the area on the inner rear view mirror assembly.

Navigation System / Multi Information Display
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The DVD type navigation system has been discontinued.
(2) A new model HDD navigation system is available.
(3) The display and navigation module display has been discontinued. Instead, the multi-media module receiver assembly, which integrates the navigation ECU and radio receiver assembly, is provided

Blind Spot Monitor System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The blind spot monitor system is available.

Intuitive Parking Assist System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) 2 front No. 1 ultrasonic sensors have been added on the front center portion of the vehicle, expanding the detection area of the intuitive parking assist system.
(b) The screen, which appears on the multi-information display and/or multi-display* when the intuitive parking assist system detects an object, has been changed.
*: Models with Lexus display audio system, 12-speaker surround sound system, 15-speaker surround sound system or HDD navigation system

Monitor System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) A monitor system has been adopted on the Lexus display audio system.
(2) The side monitor system has been discontinued.

Parking Assist Monitor System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The side parking assist monitor system has been discontinued.
(2) The parking assist ECU has been integrated in the multi-media module receiver assembly.
(3) The parking assist monitor system is controlled by the multi-media module receiver assembly.
(4) The screen displayed for the parking assist monitor system has been changed.

BRAKE

Brake (Front) -- No changes
Brake (Rear) -- No changes

Brake Control System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The brake pedal stroke sensor has been changed to a non-contact (semiconductor) type.

DRIVETRAIN -- No changes

Parking Break -- No changes
Axle System - No changes
Drive Shaft System - No changes
Hybrid Transaxle System - No changes
Rear Drive System - No changes

ENGINE / HYBRID / EV SYSTEM

Cooling System - No changes
Emission Control System - No changes
SFI System - No changes
Engine Unit - No changes
Fuel System - No changes
Exhaust System - No changes
Intake System - No changes
Lubrication System - No changes

Cruise Control System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The warning indication on the combination meter assembly when a malfunction is detected in the cruise control system has been changed.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The warning indication on the combination meter assembly when a malfunction is detected in the cruise control system has been changed.

Hybrid Control System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) Due to the adoption of the EV drive mode switch, the operation to enter EV drive mode has been changed.
(2) SPORT mode control is provided. This control increases the drive force provided by the vehicle during mid-range acceleration, enhancing acceleration response.
(3) An additional operation method of the emergency shutdown function has been provided, which stops the hybrid system when holding the power switch for approximately 2 seconds or the power switch is pushed 3 times or more in a row.
(4) The inverter water pump assembly has been changed.

POWER SOURCE / NETWORK

CAN Communication System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The side parking assist monitor system has been discontinued, resulting in the parking assist ECU being discontinued from CAN communication system.
(2) The blind spot monitor system has been adopted, resulting in the blind monitor sensor added to CAN communication system.

LIN Communication System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The automatic high beam system has been discontinued, resulting in the inner rear view mirror being discontinued from LIN communication

Multiplex Communication System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The side parking assist monitor system has been discontinued, resulting in the parking assist ECU being discontinued from CAN communication system.
(2) The blind spot monitor system has been adopted, resulting in the blind monitor sensor added to CAN communication system.
(3) In accordance with the change of navigation system and audio system, AVC-LAN communication system has been changed.
(4) The automatic high beam system has been discontinued, resulting in the inner rear view mirror being discontinued from LIN communication system.

Electric Power Control System - No changes

STEERING

Power Steering System
- No changes

Heated Steering Wheel System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) he heated steering wheel system has been adopted

Steering Column System - No changes
Steering Lock System - No changes

SUSPENSION

Front Suspension System - No changes
Rear Suspension System - No changes

Tire and Wheel Type System
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) Newly designed and painted wheels are available on specified models.

Tire Pressure Warning System
- No changes

VEHICLE EXTERIOR

Fuel Lid Opener System
- No changes

Power Back Door System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The door lock request can be accepted and reserved while the back door is closing, improving usability of door lock operation.

Body Structure
2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The design of the front headlights, front bumper cover, and upper and lower radiator grilles has been changed.
(2) An aero stabilizing fin is provided to enhanced aerodynamics.
(3) Performance dampers (front and rear) have been adopted for F SPORT.

Lighting System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The exterior light design has been changed.
(2) The intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and automatic high beam system have been discontinued.
(3) The battery saving function has been added to prevent the auxiliary battery from discharging when the headlights or taillights are left on.

Mirror System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The new model HDD navigation system is available.
(2) The operation screen for the front wiper deicer system has been changed due to the change of the navigation system.
(3) The Lexus display audio system has been added to the available audio system.

Towing Converter System
- No changes
Sliding Roof System - No changes

Vehicle Proximity Notification

1. OUTLINE
(a) When the vehicle is being driven quietly using the motor only, the vehicle proximity notification system outputs a warning sound from the vehicle approaching speaker assembly to inform pedestrians, cyclists, etc., of the approach of the vehicle.
(b) The warning sound is output by the vehicle approaching speaker assembly at a volume level that will not be perceived as noise. Also the pitch of the sound changes in accordance with the vehicle speed so that the sound reflects vehicle deceleration and acceleration.
(c) Vehicle proximity notification system operation automatically stops when the vehicle is stopped, the engine starts or the vehicle is driven at 20 km/h (12 mph) or higher

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The vehicle proximity notification system has been adopted.

Power Window Control System
- No changes

Windshield / Window Glass System

3. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The new model HDD navigation system is available.
(2) The operation screen for the front wiper deicer system has been changed due to the change of the navigation system.
(3) The Lexus display audio system has been added to the available audio system.

Wiper and Washer System
- No changes

VEHICLE INTERIOR

Power Door Lock Control System
- No changes

Heating / Air Conditioning System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The design of the air conditioning control panel has been changed.

Lighting (Interior) System
- No changes

Meter / Gauge System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The design of the following items in the combination meter assembly has been changed:
• Indicator and warning light layout
• Hybrid System Indicator
• LCD (ODO/TRIP display and shift position indicator)
(2) A function that changes meter panel illumination color in accordance with the vehicle driving conditions has been added.
(3) The following functions that can be enabled or disabled in the electronic features control mode of the multi-information display have been changed:
• Sport Mode Switch: Added
• AFS ON/OFF Switch: Discontinued
• EV Mode Switch: Discontinued
(4) Blind spot monitor system related warning messages have been added to the warning messages displayed on the multi-information display.
(5) The text of the warning messages for the maintenance required reminder function, which are displayed on the multi-information display, has been changed.
(6) The display design of the headup display has been changed.

Power Outlet Socket System - No changes
Pre-Collision System - No changes
Climate Control Seat System - No changes
Power Seat Control System - No changes
Seat Assembly - No changes
Seat Heater System - No changes

Airbag System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The record data item of the event date recorder (EDR) has been increased.
(2) The side airbag sensor (for center pillar) has been discontinued.
(3) The operating condition of the seat outer pretensioners has been changed.
(4) The design of the steering pad (driver side squib) has been changed.

Occupant Classification System - No changes
Engine Immobilizer System - No changes

Smart Access System

2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(1) The time setting of 20 minutes for the automatic power off function to operate when the power switch is on (ACC) has been added.
(2) An additional operation method of the emergency shutdown function has been provided, which stops the hybrid control system when the power switch is pressed 3 times or more in a row or pressed for 2 seconds or more.
(3) The duration of the door ajar warning buzzer and key left in vehicle warning buzzer have been changed to 5 seconds.

Theft Deterrent
- No changes

Last edited by BertL; 05-19-12 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fixed a spelling typo
Old 05-19-12, 11:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bert
Excellent and very comprehensive post.
Thanks
Originally Posted by BertL
Folks,
I've been doing some research in TIS attempting to identify details about my 2013 RX450h arriving in about 3 weeks. Anyway, as I've been scanning documents the last few hours, I thought it might be useful to others to provide extracts of sections of the various technical documents identifying the minute detail in each of the systems that were changed between 2012 and 2013 RX450h models. (Remember, this is not marketing info as to what features or options are packaged with what, but a technical view of everything the RX450h technically has to offer.)

I have listed all sections I found and indicate below with "no changes" where I didn't see anything of note. There were some big ah-ha's for me that we have not seen in previous publicized material such as the new Enform 2.0 Nav is a new HDD assembly behind the dash (hence why it can't be upgraded into 2010-12's), a new front proximity system to emit noise when running on electric only (no more stealth mode), some sort of 20-minute auto-off timer change to Smart Access, and other more minor tweaks across at least half the systems as we'd expect from Lexus. I read another thread a while back about the heated steering wheel, but can't seem to find it now -- the answer is, only the non-wood hand grip areas are heated from what I see in the diagrams.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-19-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 11:52 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wasn't DVD navigation discontinued at the end of last generation?
Locking the car while the lift gate is closing will save me 5-7 seconds every day.
Wish AFS and auto dimming were still available. Fair trade for blind spot??
No illuminated garage door buttons.
No EV mode, only worked one out of ten times for me anyway
No stealth mode.

Where is the aero stabilizing fin?

(use as needed)

Last edited by DunWkg; 05-19-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Emoticons
Old 05-19-12, 01:04 PM
BertL

Aero stabilizing fin is on each side of the rear taillights where they extend onto the sides of the vehicles. The pictures look like it's rather small, and I suspect it blends in to the clear plastic housing pretty well.
Old 05-19-12, 02:27 PM
BertL

A few more tidbits from TIS manuals (2013 RX450h specific)

EV mode stills exists. It now has a dedicated switch I believe to the right of the steering wheel console. You just don't get there through use of the mode selector any more.

Auto Power Off. When the vehicle is in Park and ON, vehicle turns itself off after 60 minutes. When vehicle is in Park and ACCESSORY mode, vehicle turns itself off after 20 minutes. (Those people who have complained about their inadvertent leaving the car on should be happy about this as well as the longer duration buzz when you open the door and the car is on...)

New DVD player without RSES: DVD video can be played when vehicle is stopped, is ON or in ACCESSORY, and parking brake is on. If driving and one attempts to play a DVD, only the audio heard.

Stealth Mode does appear to really be gone. I don't find any option available to the customer or dealer that can turn off the new Vehicle Proximity Notification System (aka the beeping when Going slow in electric only mode).
Old 05-19-12, 04:51 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent info, Bert. Thanks for sharing!

I'm thinking of including the Blind Spot Monitor in my special order when I pull the trigger. I saw a nice video of the system in action (on a 2013 ES) over at lexusenthusiast.com. Here's a link.
Old 05-19-12, 05:18 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
Excellent info, Bert. Thanks for sharing!

I'm thinking of including the Blind Spot Monitor in my special order when I pull the trigger. I saw a nice video of the system in action (on a 2013 ES) over at lexusenthusiast.com. Here's a link.
Glad it was useful. If I had not waited 7 months for my new RX already, I would also add the new Blind Spot Monitor ...except that "summer" can go clear to what -- September or October, depending on one's definition, that could be almost a year since my original special order and the beginning of some perpetual motion encounter. I like SciFi and science, but not THAT much. Functionality seems perfect. Only open switch for me would be how the sensors are mounted -- looks like on inside of the bumper from diagrams I saw earlier today on TIS and the area they sensing, but given that Lexus Intuitive Parkiing Assist has very noticeable external spots for it's sensors (unlike some OEM versions such as my 2009 BMW where they were 100% hidden from view), I'd like to know that point. It's at least something for you to consider.

Can't wait to hear of your order, and better yet, your DELIVERY!
Old 05-19-12, 06:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

BertL, great analysis. It''ll come in handy for anyone trying to decide between the '12 and '13 RX. I added it to our FAQ thread.
Old 05-22-12, 12:36 PM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so the AFS isn't on the 2013 models.

I was wondering why the comfort package is so much cheaper, and why the reference to AFS was gone when selecting the option.

At least Lexus made the comfort package cheaper, so it all balances out.
Old 05-22-12, 06:00 PM
MsFeb14
Driver School Candidate

Great Info - thank you very much!

We are also waiting for our 2013 RX 450H Stargazer Black. It will be our first H, we had the first 350 in Seattle back in the 90's and just traded in our 2008. Anything I should know before we drive it off the lot in a few weeks?
Old 05-23-12, 04:59 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by MsFeb14
Great Info - thank you very much!

We are also waiting for our 2013 RX 450H Stargazer Black. It will be our first H, we had the first 350 in Seattle back in the 90's and just traded in our 2008. Anything I should know before we drive it off the lot in a few weeks?
Nothing special for you to know, except ENJOY the ride! (I'll get pics and initial comments up on my 450h within a couple days of it's arrival next month, and watch the forum for others that may be bringing one home in the meantime!)
Old 05-24-12, 06:41 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

BertL,

Thanks for your great work. Very detailed analysis.
Old 09-03-12, 12:53 PM
Adamgbrown
Driver School Candidate

Bert,
I just bought the 2013 rx350. I have a question that u may be able to answer. There is no digital speed displayed when u set the cruise. Is this a bug in the new car or is this normal. I thought every new 2009- present Lexus had this feature. My other Lexus ISF has this feature. The owner manual shows one picture with the speed displayed digitally but it is regarding the 450H. Any explanation? Thanks. Adam.
Old 09-03-12, 01:40 PM
StLucchese
Rookie

Thank you much!

Cant wait to get it. Got 3 yrs and 9 month to go. Thanks Bert
Old 09-03-12, 01:44 PM
BertL

Adam, congrats on your new RX!!! Sorry, I'm unsure for a RX350. My 2013 RX450h has dynamic radar cruise control, and it does show the MPH in the dash digital display when set. There are some little exclusives to the RX450h in terms of display, e.g. the hybrid can show the 4 different tire pressure readings from TPMS, the RX350 cannot, so perhaps this is another one of those little things. We'll need a RX350 owner to answer for you, and please specify if you have PCS (which includes radar cruise control) or not in case that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: 2013 RX450h New Car Features -- Complete Technical Listing