RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX450h New Car Features -- Complete Technical Listing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 10:39 AM
Adamgbrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Bert. Thanks for the fast reply. unfortunately I don't have the comfort package or the PCS. I was under the impression that only radar cruise package had the available digital speed, based obesity the user manual otitis, but it was not clear. This is really bugging me. $50, 000 Lexus with no digital speed indication. Which is silly if one model has it and the other doesn't. There should be an ability time customize at least one user menu or screen on the LCD dash display. When I set the cruise it switches to a blank screen that says "set" in small font on lower right. There is an entire area of remaububg screen that ciukd easily display the speed. It's also annoying that everytime u set cruise, it's changes from current display to the blank cruise set display and doesn't return to previous display.
thanks again Bert

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 09-04-12, 06:37 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering, since the previous DRLs have been replaced by the LEDs, does that light position only activate for high beams in conjunction with the LED low beam configuration?
Old 09-04-12, 07:19 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, but I'm unsure what you mean by "that light position". DRLs can be turned off during the day -- there is an off position under "auto" on the stalk that controls the headlights. The DRLs and the headlights on my 2013 (with optional LED headlights) are on when the low or high beams are -- no change in that regard from my old 2006 RX400h with its HIDs.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question and I'll try again.

Last edited by BertL; 09-04-12 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-04-12, 07:55 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Okay, sorry about that. Let me try this again! What is the function of the inside headlight adjacent to your optional LED headlights on your 2013? Is it used just for high beams?

Last edited by VVRX; 09-04-12 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 05:08 AM
BertL

- With the optional 2013 LEDs, from center of truck to outside, there are 4 horizontal lights:
1. High beam
2. Low beam #1 of 2
3. Low beam #2 of 2
4. Turn signal
- DRLs are below all that and run up around the high beam in the "L" shape
- Fog light is below that on outside of lower bumper

Note: When the high beams are on, both lows are on as well. ...and yes, two beams are on simultaneously for the lows.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 RX450h New Car Features -- Complete Technical Listing-ael_0044.jpg  
Old 09-05-12, 07:39 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Question answered, thanks Bert.
Old 09-05-12, 02:33 PM
RKrukoski
Driver School Candidate

I have been told by the dealer that my 2013 RX 450h with the Blind Spot has completed production and is in transit and that I should have it by the end of the month ... Excellent post and I can't wait
Old 09-05-12, 03:28 PM
BertL

Congrats and welcome to CL. Be sure to start a new thread and post pics once it arrives!
Old 09-07-12, 07:58 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Xenon HID Lights

For reference, here's what the Xenon HID headlamp option looks like:

- Using Bert's description method, from center of truck to outside, there are 3 horizontal lights:
1. High Beam
2. Low Beam
3. Turn signal
- DRLs are below all that and run up around the high beam in the "L" shape
- Fog light is below that on outside of lower bumper

I was sure I had the Bi-Xenon option but the sticker just says "Xenon High Intensity Discharge Headlamps" so I guess it's only the low beams that are HID. Photo below is one I had, so it's not brochure quality.

Last edited by TexasRxh; 09-07-12 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 08:06 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Thanks TexasRxh, I appreciate the added info
Old 01-21-13, 06:47 PM
UTAS
Driver

Thumbs up Good Research, BertL

Originally Posted by BertL
Adam, congrats on your new RX!!! Sorry, I'm unsure for a RX350. My 2013 RX450h has dynamic radar cruise control, and it does show the MPH in the dash digital display when set. There are some little exclusives to the RX450h in terms of display, e.g. the hybrid can show the 4 different tire pressure readings from TPMS, the RX350 cannot, so perhaps this is another one of those little things. We'll need a RX350 owner to answer for you, and please specify if you have PCS (which includes radar cruise control) or not in case that makes a difference.
Hello BertL - Many thanks for your posts in early 2012. Very useful information on Lexus' complicated changes in feature sets for the current year. Even more so, when compared to 2010.

I just started looking around, as I own an RX450h 2010, which is coming up on four years old this summer - was thinking of upgrading to the 2013. However, my current RX with 37K on it has auto-high beam / AFS, which my wife and I hate to give up. Don't know if it's a deal killer, but perhaps for us an extended warranty is in order. My wife just loves the auto hi-beam feature.

I have an ES300h 2013, which shares some of the features of your new RX; but this ES300h has auto hi-beam, too.

Am I correct in thinking that the main difference from 2010 through 2013 is perhaps the computer software and additional focus on social media (I do not use) in the NAV - that is to say, with fine tweaks aside that the ride and performance is basically comparable throughout the 3rd generation RX's?

Again, many thanks for your effort in this regard.
Old 01-22-13, 05:10 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by UTAS
...Am I correct in thinking that the main difference from 2010 through 2013 is perhaps the computer software and additional focus on social media (I do not use) in the NAV - that is to say, with fine tweaks aside that the ride and performance is basically comparable throughout the 3rd generation RX's?
UTAS -- I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this again to summarize it way, way down. If you've not seen it, take a look at this other post of mine on First Impressions -- it may help on some of the nuiances. There is a "part 2" from me in that post if you read down far enough. While that was a comparison of my 2006 RX400h to the 2013 RX450h, I tried to reference many of the discussion points on the 2010-2 to the 13 that had been active around here over the previous 8 months or so I was waiting on delivery.

Here's how I'd net it down: 2013 has many exterior styling differences bringing it into the future Lexus common spindle grille look, and a little improvement on the interior console storage area and trim, e.g. heated steering wheel is now part of one of the options. There are a few "take aways" on the 2013 base and options compared to the 2012, like the tonneau cover flaps, 6-DVD player, roof cross-bars and AFS option as you figured out. Wide View Side Monitor option was replaced with Blind Spot Monitor option. There was much debate here about if the ride of the 2013 is better than a 2010-2 -- I won't go back into that here as you can read the many posts, but wheel size is likely part of the answer. There is a new sport mode with the transmission on the 2013, but honestly, I don't use it often and have not found it to be so impressive I should even mention it in a short list like this -- My other car is the one I use if I want a sports-car ride. On the Nav/ML, yes, I'd say most of the change was integration of the new Enform and internet capabilities if you want those. If you want the new RES+ stuff (remote door open/close and engine start), it can only be added to the 2013s. I think there may have been a few little tweaks in other things with the Nav, but can't remember them right now -- nothing of significance comes to mind.

The big thing for me having had a 2012 on order for 5 months when the 2013 was revealed, was since I generally keep my vehicle for 5-7 years, I wanted the latest styling so it would still look like it was not an even older generation when that time came around, and at the time I wanted the new sport mode (whatever that was), as well as having the Enform capabilities. In theory, Lexus could add new functionality because of the new head unit with Enform at any time -- they have not in these many months, but they could one day. I don't plan to subscribe to the monthly fee to keep Enform active when my free 1st year expires in a few months, but will re-subscribe should Lexus ever add some functionality become available I want in the future. I don't have Blind Spot Monitor on my RX, as I took delivery in the first 6 months when it was not yet available. I wish I did have it though.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by BertL; 01-22-13 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo/spelling
Old 01-22-13, 08:55 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an EV switch and mine is a 2013
Old 01-22-13, 12:01 PM
UTAS
Driver

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by BertL
UTAS -- I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this again to summarize it way, way down. If you've not seen it, take a look at this other post of mine on First Impressions -- it may help on some of the nuiances. There is a "part 2" from me in that post if you read down far enough. While that was a comparison of my 2006 RX400h to the 2013 RX450h, I tried to reference many of the discussion points on the 2010-2 to the 13 that had been active around here over the previous 8 months or so I was waiting on delivery.

----truncated and read through----

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, BertL. I read all your previous posts. Lots of good information sifted through a complicated Lexus feature set. I noted the similarities of features with our new ES300h, so without digressing too much, I have a flavor of what is offered technology-wise.

Of the things I like the most for 2013: 1) Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Cross Traffic - absolutely great when backing up and when someone is in the blind spot either side; 2) Lane Departure Alert w/ Intelligent high-beams - this is our RX hang-up, because the 2013 models dropped this; 3) Pre-Collision System and Cruise Control - my sentiments exactly as yours when in heavy traffic or near clover leafs, one has to be careful - probably advisable to disable the radar cruise in heavy traffic; 4) Heated Steering Wheel at the thumb holds (very handy here in IL, since the temperature has been around zero-F lately); 5) the NAV with eDestination (have not used this feature yet, but understand that it might be handy when changing GPS settings on the move) - however, all the social media features make my eyes glaze over.

A side note regarding the ride: I had to look today - the 2010 RX450h has a load capacity of 825lbs w/o a revised weight restriction sticker; curiously, the 2013 ES300h has a restriction sticker revising load capacity by a negative 6 pounds. Both vehicles ride very smoothly, so I was thinking at least part of the smoothness is due to both vehicles having Michelin's (Latitude for the RX and Primacy for the ES). Both have the Michelin "Green X" technology, which apparently gives a smooth ride and very low rolling resistence (improved mpg). I recall in 2009 during the negotiation for purchase of the RX, the salesman ignored my request for Michelin tires and tried to slip OEM Bridgestones passed me - I caught it just before signing (because I TOLD him Michelin only), got up and walked out. Hardly opened the door at my house, when the phone rang with him on the other end saying Michelin it is - he would eat the cost - the Latitudes were not cheap, but the ride is nice, mpg is around 30, and with 37K miles there is still 5/32" tread remaining - great wear and quality, FWIW.

So. For now, I'll have to mull it over a bit - either extended warranty on our 2010, or new 2013 RXh - leaning toward the former.

Thanks again. BTW, nice choices, nice wheels on your part.

Last edited by UTAS; 01-22-13 at 12:30 PM. Reason: 5/32 in lieu of 5/16 inch tread left
Old 01-22-13, 04:20 PM
FamilyRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by UTAS
Of the things I like the most for 2013: 1) Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Cross Traffic - absolutely great when backing up and when someone is in the blind spot either side; 2) Lane Departure Alert w/ Intelligent high-beams - this is our RX hang-up, because the 2013 models dropped this; 3) Pre-Collision System and Cruise Control - my sentiments exactly as yours when in heavy traffic or near clover leafs, one has to be careful - probably advisable to disable the radar cruise in heavy traffic; 4) Heated Steering Wheel at the thumb holds (very handy here in IL, since the temperature has been around zero-F lately); 5) the NAV with eDestination (have not used this feature yet, but understand that it might be handy when changing GPS settings on the move) - .
Are these the features for the RX or ES? I don't think the '13 RX has Rear Cross Traffic

FamilyRX
(coming soon)

Quick Reply: 2013 RX450h New Car Features -- Complete Technical Listing