RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?

Old 05-18-12, 04:22 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?

I'm looking at a 2012 and 2013 brochure now and noticed that the Intelligent High-Beams have gone away for 2013. They used to be part of the Comfort Package but now are nowhere to be found.

Can anyone with a 2013 (of has seen them at a dealership) confirm?
Old 05-18-12, 05:11 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately you've found a place in the Lexus information that is not sync'd across everything from press release to hardcopy brochure to web to the tool dealers use to order vehicles to the report the dealers can access related on features being built for special ordered vehicles. I am one of those real customers with a deposit down, a bit stuck at the moment, and can't tell you, and neither can my dealer, what is on a ship today for delivery to me... While I'm 99% confident I'll be getting LED headlights as part of the luxury package I ordered, I agree with you and have not seen reference to the "auto dimming of bright lights" that came on the 2012. I honestly have not been focused on that, as I 99.9% of the time never run with high beams on, so to me, its a feature I dont't care about and really have never wanted to pay for. My RX450h should be here by mid-June and I plan to create a post within a day or two of delivery as soon as I've gone over the truck and detailed it myself for the first time, with details including this point.

FYI, my dealer is confused on this point of headlights as you may find in another post of mine from a couple of days ago, as is Lexus web chat, and I know from this forum, at least one other guy has worked with two other dealers that don't know clear answers related to what kind of headlights come with certain special orders.. I sent in a web email to the Lexus customer sat site yesterday, trying to tell them their info is not clear between various media, and am now more than 24 hours after that, awaiting their response. . Just be careful if people speculate on this point today, or can really give you concrete facts, since Lexus marketing is out if whack on this detail at the moment.

Last edited by BertL; 05-18-12 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fix spelling and typos. Wow. Sorry!
Old 05-18-12, 05:24 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bert,
Do you have the VIN?
I wonder if the TSB site is up to date yet?
Old 05-18-12, 05:53 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

According to the car connection the Intelligent High's are an option - http://www.thecarconnection.com/revi...x-350_safety_5

Among the RX's many advanced-tech accident-avoidance features are a Pre-Collision System that uses radar sensors to detect a possible impact, then readies the brakes and seatbelts for an imminent crash. Adaptive lighting and automatic high beams are also on offer.
What package that is on for 2013 is anyone's guess but MY guess is if you get the adaptive lighting the auto high beams come along for the ride.
Old 05-18-12, 06:01 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Bert,
Do you have the VIN?
I wonder if the TSB site is up to date yet?
David, yes I have a VIN, but do not have a subscription to the techinfo.toyota.com site if that is what you are referring to. If there is something that can be done with my VIN to solve the mystery, let's go to PM so I don't have to post my VIN here in the forum. (Love most folks on the forum, but who knows who's lurking out there )

Honestly, at this point, I bet the press release info is most accurate and Lexus has screwed up moving the true info onto the generic Lexus.com site as well as the systems the dealer uses. It's amazing they include details like "headlight cleaners"' but not what type of headlights they are referring to given we're talking $500-$1200 options... I worked in the middle of the "marketing to delivery" world for a major global IT and consulting company dealing with announcement materials and then being responsible for delivering to customers what we said we would do, for more than 30 years, so this Lexus issue with the 2013 announcement really miffs me. Anyway, given the 2013 is a mid-life facelift, I find it hard to believe Lexus would have eliminated functions that were integrated in the 2012 or made really drastic changes. We know the previous "wide view monitor" is eliminated, and replaced with a secondary option of the "blind spot monitor", but other that that, reading all these mis-matched things from Lexus about the 2013's, it seems they've only moved some options between packages, and added a few exterior and interior changes that those of us that have been watching the detail, are aware of and see the signifance of.. I suspect if one orders a 2013 RX450h with the LED option, or the Luxury package that includes the LEDs (at least I think so) they'll probably come with the AFS and "high beam auto-dim" feature, or whatever it's officially called -- just as the 2012 did. If Lexus.com does not get back to me, at least I'll have a real answer in 2-3 weeks. The ship with my new RX450h should now be on it's way to Canada, then Oregon, and to Long Beach, then to me. Yippee at long, long, long last.

Last edited by BertL; 05-18-12 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-18-12, 06:07 PM
DunWkg
Racer

$15 and you could check your VIN, although TechInfo may not be up to date yet. So you'd waste your 15$.

If I log in before your car arrives, I'll PM you.
Old 05-18-12, 07:55 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking through the information I can find on the Lexus website, the following seems to be missing in 2013

- AFS not listed; now HID only shows "auto-leveling"
- Wide View Side Monitor no longer listed in Luxury package
- Intelligent High Beams as mentioned earlier is also no longer listed
Old 05-18-12, 10:57 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

AFS was going to be my next question. I'm looking all over for a model with Comfort Package (since I had this on my '10), but if the Intelligent High Beams and AFS are gone, there is much less value to this option package...
Old 05-18-12, 11:53 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

MSRP on the Comfort Package in 2012 was $1950
MSRP on the Comfort Package in 2013 is $1340

My guess is that AFS and Intelligent High Beams really are gone.
Old 05-19-12, 05:16 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, my wife no longer likes the intelligent high beams on her 2011. She was driving home just after dark only 3 weeks after I bought it for her and a deer ran into the side. She had her bright lights on but they dimmed way too early when a car appeared coming at her a a far distance. She said she would not have dimmed the lights so early and might have been able to avoid the deer. It fortunately was a smaller doe and it only ran into the side. Unfortunately both doors were dented. I had to pay a paintless dent artist $600 but it was worth it as it looks perfect again. Just thought I would mention this...
Old 05-19-12, 05:22 AM
BertL

I agree the Wide View Side Monitor is gone as indicated in other earlier posts. It's clearly been replaced with the Blind Spot Monitor as alternative Premium or Luxury packages with a $500 MSRP uplift, and marked as available "this summer". (FYI, it can't be ordered yet, but is known to the dealers -- as of this past Tuesday at least.)

Don't forget that LED Headlights are also available as a standalone option.

I would take the bet if LEDs are part of the 2013 RX450h Luxury Package or not given the evidence to-date -- I believe they are.

I would not however, take the bet on AFS and Intelligent High Beams being gone with the LEDs until it can be confirmed by something more official in Lexus or visibly verified on a 2013 RX450h with LEDs -- that there is no camera pointing forward on the rearview mirror and the headlights don't auto-align or move around corners when turned-on. The cost delta mentioned is the same in the package prices, as well as if one looks at the standalone LED headlights -- they went down in price YTY in both places. ...but so did the exorbitantly priced Mark Levinson option go down from $1610 to $995 in price without substantive loss in functionality (it's been reported elsewhere that the 6-disc CD changer is gone in the non-ML audio versions as well, so that isn't the reason for the ML price drop). Perhaps Lexus did a reset of the ML price to spur sales or meet volume commitments to ML, and perhaps the early high cost of getting into LED headlight technology has now started to come down, especially with all vehicles now having LED DRLs... We could debate why those pricing points dropped I suppose, but will never know the real answer, so it's probably not worth it.

As a person that now has a real 2013 RX450h with the Luxury Package at sea, on it's way for delivery to me within the next 3 weeks, I've at least convinced myself until further facts present themselves that my RX will include LED Headlights with AFS and likely Intelligent High Beams (although I still don't care about the latter, so if I see that camera in the rear view mirror when I take delivery, it will be a cute gimmick for me to play with some time when I'm on the road to or from the High Sierra or Vegas early one morning. )

...and if someone missed it, go here for the original thread on the discussion if LEDs are part of the Luxury Package or not

Last edited by BertL; 05-19-12 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Added cross-reference to LED thread
Old 05-19-12, 08:48 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by DunWkg
...I wonder if the TSB site is up to date yet?
David, I couldn't stand the suspense, so just popped down my $15 and signed up for the Toyota TIS site -- in hopes of closing out this discussion for many of us. My VIN is there, showing it was manufactured 5/7 (that's a new data point for me) and has the same options and brief descriptions in TIS as they do on the "Vehicle Inquiry Report" my dealer provided... Net on this whole headlight thing is -- TIS provided no more detail (but thanks for the lead!). My RX450h shows having the Luxury Package, but within that, no specifics on type of headlights... the only thing close within the brief description is "...headlight cleaners" which is the same description in the report and TIS. At least Lexus's manufacturing databases are consistent. Incomplete , but consistent.

...the other interesting points are:
  • my Mark Levinson option specifically says "single DVD/CD player". The "DVD" part is new news at least to me compared to the base RX and previous MYs. We'll see if that means only audio or video (I'm not holding my breath for the latter and don't care about it anyway, but bet others may.)
  • ...and I have some option called "U1: GROUND EFFECTS". Ooohhh, wonder what that is? Maybe some new smoke and mirrors gizmo that lifts me over traffic during rush hour! Now I'm gonna be thinking about Back to the Future the rest of the day!

More facts when I have them from the Lexus.com folks or I see my vehicle in person.
Old 05-19-12, 09:00 AM
BertL

Official Info from TIS: No more AFS and automatic high beam on 2013.

Just found the reference in TIS Doc RM000003ZPN003X for the 2013 RX450h which is the general info on the external lighting.

"2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(a) The 2013 models have been modified from the 2012 models as shown below:
(1) The exterior light design has been changed.
(2) The intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and automatic high beam system have been discontinued.
(3) The battery saving function has been added to prevent the auxiliary battery from discharging when the headlights or taillights are left on."

...unfortunately (so far) there is no reference to which headlights go with what packages -- only that standard, HID, and LED versions exist on the 2013 RX450h.
Old 05-19-12, 10:04 AM
DunWkg
Racer

(2) The intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and automatic high beam system have been discontinued.
If they throw out auto wipers, then there's three reasons not to own a 2013. Glad I didn't wait. Goes to show my surveys haven't carried much weight.
Old 05-19-12, 10:30 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I gave Watson and excellent bath this morning including wiping down the inside and tire blackening. I opened the hood to check oil and such and he 'said' to me "Since you now know I have lots of goodies that aren't even available any more you're cleaning me up to keep me longer and like new" Smart *** car !!! I think he knows I was trolling over on the CT forum. Well not to worry yet, they don't have the AFS HID's either. And I think the F sport pckg only comes with the Nu-Lux interior and not leather. Well maybe when the 2013 comes out then .....

Or not
Originally Posted by BertL
Official Info from TIS: No more AFS and automatic high beam on 2013.

Just found the reference in TIS Doc RM000003ZPN003X for the 2013 RX450h which is the general info on the external lighting.

"2. MAJOR DIFFERENCE
(a) The 2013 models have been modified from the 2012 models as shown below:
(1) The exterior light design has been changed.
(3) The battery saving function has been added to prevent the auxiliary battery from discharging when the headlights or taillights are left on."

...unfortunately (so far) there is no reference to which headlights go with what packages -- only that standard, HID, and LED versions exist on the 2013 RX450h.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-19-12 at 10:37 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intelligent High Beams Gone on 2013?