RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: What type of headlights will arrive on this RX450h?
LED
70.59%
HID
23.53%
Standard
0%
It's a crap shoot -- I don't know!
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

The RX450h Headlight Guessing Game

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 02:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Based on the info you provided I voted LED as did many others. However (there's always one of those ), if I were ordering I'd have preferred the HID's. I know it's personal point of view. The LED's are higher tech no doubt, but in comparing them with my HID's (and for me, it's all about the light produced) my HID's produce a better quality light (color, intensity, contrast) then the LED's but I'd learn to live with the LED's if that was all that was available.
Originally Posted by BertL
Thanks, and agree with all your points. My GM was the one personally trying to figure this out for me yesterday, and he was stumped. . Good luck with your upcoming order. At least it appears like they have product now and you won't be waiting 5 months as I first did, once you decide to pull the tigger! ...just beware if you want the new blind spot monitor ... No Specific ETA on that other than "summer".
Old 05-16-12, 02:32 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Based on the info you provided I voted LED as did many others. However (there's always one of those ), if I were ordering I'd have preferred the HID's. I know it's personal point of view. The LED's are higher tech no doubt, but in comparing them with my HID's (and for me, it's all about the light produced) my HID's produce a better quality light (color, intensity, contrast) then the LED's but I'd learn to live with the LED's if that was all that was available.
Yes, in my original order last year, I tried to get HIDs for similar reasons you cite, but with other options, Lexus NA forced the configuration to go to LEDs and eliminated the HIDs. I was left with the choice to drop the luxury package to get HIDs or pay the extra big bucks for LEDs which I didn't care about. When time came to switch to the 2013, upon reading the Geneva material, I anticipated LEDs would still have to be in the mix and kept them in. Appears I wouldn't have really had a choice this year either, with LEDs now part of that luxury package. Looks like LEDs will be part of my new life, and as you say, I'll learn to live and love 'um.
Old 05-23-12, 12:53 PM
BertL

For those that voted "LED", you win.

Just received confirmation from Lexus.com as follows: "We apologize for the delay in response to your email. The luxury package does come with LED headlights standard, but they do not necessarily include AFS and Intelligent High Beams, as these are additional options that would need to be added. We also apologize the wording is not clear on the website. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we have forwarded your feedback to our interactive marketing team. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you."

(Based on my research in TIS, my personal opinion remains that LEDs don't come with AFS and Intelligent High Beams, but I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when my RX450h with LED headlights arrives!)
Old 05-23-12, 02:32 PM
Cruiter

Bert, glad it say's the headlights you want but the confusion still reins. I just went online and snipped the following (for my zip code) and it still shows one $8650 Nav pckg option that includes the HID's with AFS. It's slightly different with the LA zip code 90001 but the lights are still there. So will really be interesting to see what you get next month. But I think the online changes were recently made so they may have just decided that everyone should get them loaded and it's cheaper to provide everything that way.
For those that voted "LED", you win.

Just received confirmation from Lexus.com as follows: "We apologize for the delay in response to your email. The luxury package does come with LED headlights standard, but they do not necessarily include AFS and Intelligent High Beams, as these are additional options that would need to be added. We also apologize the wording is not clear on the website. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we have forwarded your feedback to our interactive marketing team. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you."

(Based on my research in TIS, my personal opinion remains that LEDs don't come with AFS and Intelligent High Beams, but I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when my RX450h with LED headlights arrives!)
Attached Thumbnails The RX450h Headlight Guessing Game-the-pkg.jpg  
Old 05-23-12, 03:19 PM
BertL

Jim, I hear you, but this config looks a lot like a "premium package" where HIDs can be an option, plus a few standalone options such as parking assist. It does not appear to me to be a "luxury package" (which is "premium" plus) that I have ordered and that supposedly comes only with LED. E.g. The icons in this config do not appear complete enough describing options in the luxury package and differentiating it from the premium package as it did with the 2012s, and the picture of the steering wheel in this config is leather only, not the leather/wood/heated version that is in the luxury pkg. Some places on Lexus.com the picture is accurate and changes when you select one package or the other, and others like this one, well, I can't say.

Anyways, this Lexus.com configurator is really nutty not aligning to the option and package descriptions on the other web pages and in the brochures, AND how a dealer orders vehicles themselves. In my old marketing/delivery days, I would never have allowed things to be described different ways to my customers like this and add any element of confusion. As you say, we'll know in another couple of weeks when my vehicle arrives. I'll post pics and specific detail what is on it, once I have it in my possession at last. . Thanks again.
Old 05-24-12, 01:01 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[HTMLI just went online and snipped the following (for my zip code) and it still shows one $8650 Nav pckg option that includes the HID's with AFS. It's slightly different with the LA zip code 90001 ][/HTML]

That is just what the local dealerships have or will have in stock . Wish they would rename it to what you can find in stock instead up "Build your Lexus". The zipcode search does not hold water when you are special ordering a car because that car is made for you with all the options that you want to be with the car , as long as it works with the Lexus master order guide, that they do not put up on their web page. The one that makes you get LED's and not HID's when you order a car with the luxury package. Hope you like your car when it gets in.
Old 06-09-12, 03:38 AM
BertL

I took physical delivery of my 2013 RX450h with the Luxury Package yesterday. To close this thread out with the facts: The truck came with LED Headlights and ALS. There is no AFS. ...and interestingly, even on the window sticker, there is no indication of what type of headlights are on the vehicle -- just as there isn't with the VIN search on TIS. I also saw another 2013 RX450h on the showroom floor with the Luxury Package and it too had LED headlights. My conclusion with this physical evidence is AFS is gone, just as indicated in TIS, and any website examples one may find that says it is still there are erroneous.

I will get a long post up with pictures and first impressions of the new ride within a couple of days. Mudflaps went on last night, and my detailing regime begins in full force today as soon as the sun comes up.
Old 06-09-12, 05:32 AM
Cruiter

Bert, that's interesting but glad you got the LED's you wanted. I'm wondering if what I previously posted is the difference in the US packages and what is offered in Canada ? If you go on Lexus.com for your area in Canada can you see the same options packages that are shown from here? Like what I posted above showing AFS with HID's ???
I took physical delivery of my 2013 RX450h with the Luxury Package yesterday. To close this thread out with the facts: The truck came with LED Headlights and ALS. There is no AFS. ...and interestingly, even on the window sticker, there is no indication of what type of headlights are on the vehicle -- just as there isn't with the VIN search on TIS. I also saw another 2013 RX450h on the showroom floor with the Luxury Package and it too had LED headlights. My conclusion with this physical evidence is AFS is gone, just as indicated in TIS, and any website examples one may find that says it is still there are erroneous.

I will get a long post up with pictures and first impressions of the new ride within a couple of days. Mudflaps went on last night, and my detailing regime begins in full force today as soon as the sun comes up.
Old 06-09-12, 05:36 AM
BertL

I'm in California, so don't know about Canada. :-) I still believe what you found is really just a crazy error caused by the Lexus Web team... Icons and wording that don't sync to what is or has been manufactured as it relates to this subject. I really, really, really, think it's that simple.

Oh... and in talking with 3 people at the dealership yesterday that had tried to research this for me earlier. 1 told me he had placed 2 calls into Lexus HQ and got different answers -- both of which were wrong, and he didn't have the !#$(* to call and tell me (again), he didn't know the answer, as he felt he should have been able to get one for me. Another told me his contact just said "it's on a ship, so wait and see". The third also had no more success than the other two. (All pretty ridiculous in my mind, but I appreciate they really tried to get me the answer they wanted -- comments to me yesterday is they learned a lot from me and this car. Oh ho ho...)

Last edited by BertL; 06-09-12 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Added in the "oh" part...
Old 06-09-12, 01:44 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear both that your long wait is over and that you did indeed get the LED headlights. I'm really looking forward to my similarly equipped 450h (coming in late July / early August).

I'll be watching for your review post, pics and the detailing regime you start it out with.
Old 06-09-12, 06:53 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone actually driven an RX with LEDs AT NIGHT who previously had HIDs? I must admit I was behind the curve on this...didn't even know LED headlights were starting to appear on new cars.

What I'd like to know is...are they as good as the HIDs? Are they "BI-LED?" That's one of the things about my '08 I don't care for - the high beams are halogens.
Old 06-09-12, 07:43 PM
BertL

Yes, my 2006 RX400h that I drove for 7 years had HID with ALS and AFS. I now have LED, albeit for not even 48 hours on my 2013. The reality is, if I really had a choice, I'd still have the HIDs on my 2013 -- they are what I went in to the dealer to originally order last Fall. They are still better price performers, and to some, brighter than the LEDs. I'm not so sure on the brightness point as I've not done a side by side comparison. The LEDs are really sexy in their look off and on... Many people love them and people like Anita here on the boards swear by them... AFS is gone for both HID and LED on 2013's (even with some people still trying to hang on to that feature being available some way or other ). I will probably grow to be one of the people loving LEDs since its what I have as part of the Luxury Package on my 2013 RX450h (ie if you get the luxury pkg, you automatically get LED), and now will never look back. The reality is, it's just a matter of time before the price point of LED comes down enough to replace other technologies... Just consider what is happening in your home and the lighting industry that way.

..and to the second part of your question... LEDs are for normal headlights. High beams still kick in with non-LED technology. (If you look at pictures of the LED headlights, you'll see 4 beams... First from left is high beam and is non-LED technology, next two are norma LEDl headlights, and 4th one on the right is your blinker). Fog lamp is under that set as another unit below it on the bumper.

Last edited by BertL; 06-09-12 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer part 2
Old 06-09-12, 07:46 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I went from a 330 with HIDs to the 450h with LEDs. Yes I noticed a difference. The light output was definitely less. With the fog lights on everything is fine. But I wouldn't have it any other way. The LEDs are too sexy
Old 06-09-12, 08:01 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, IMO, sexy or not, this is a step backward. Halogens are brighter than the sealed beams of yesteryear, HIDs better than halogen, and now, LEDs are not as bright as HIDs? Seems to me they should have waited until LED technology was at least equal to HID before implementing them. And, why not BI-LED? I had Bi-Xenons on an '04 Maxima and they were the best headlights I ever had.

I'll give Lexus credit for adding the LED running lights, but by dropping AFS and HID headlights, they really DROPPED the ball.
Old 06-09-12, 10:19 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find my LED's are as good as the HID I had in my Envoy. That being said my high beams are still regular halogen bulbs. I think the ideal solution is LED for lows, HID for highs and Led Daytime running lights. I cant switch my highs to HID as they are also my DTR lights.

Quick Reply: The RX450h Headlight Guessing Game