RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Recirculate vs. Fresh Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 04:26 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recirculate vs. Fresh Air

Can anyone explain why sometimes when I start my car it defaults to recirculate and other times fresh air?
I almost always leave it on fresh air but when I start the car it's often on recirculate. AC is off when this happens.
Same thing happens on my wife's Highlander but in no other car have I had this problem.
Any ideas?
Old 05-13-12, 05:48 PM
rx11fan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ejm3
Can anyone explain why sometimes when I start my car it defaults to recirculate and other times fresh air?
I almost always leave it on fresh air but when I start the car it's often on recirculate. AC is off when this happens.
Same thing happens on my wife's Highlander but in no other car have I had this problem.
Any ideas?
I started noticing this on my 11 rx350 too. I thought it was just me. I have seen it a few times so far and wasn't sure. Every now and then, when I start it , its on recirculate mode even though I turned off AC and it was in fresh air mode before ignition off.
Old 05-13-12, 05:49 PM
Howard2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas?
According to my exeprience, when car's inside temperature is high, the car starts from recurculating mode, and then changes to fresh air later. However AC is on in both cases.
Old 05-13-12, 06:13 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Because the system is very unique. You probably have it set on 'Auto'. In that mode sensors test the incoming air and if there are particulates in it (smoke, high pollen count, etc) then it will switch to re-circulate and back to fresh when the air is clean enough. If you have the NAV system you can control the sensitivity in the settings. You may need your manual to find it. I have mine set on maximum sensitivity and it works well. Also the filter will last longer that way with less mold and dirt and pollen buildup.

I hope this is what you're looking for.
Any ideas?
Old 05-14-12, 04:13 AM
ejm3
Driver

We do not use the 'Auto' setting on either car, so that's not it.
I used to think if you had the sunroom open or cracked that was what drove it but that's not the answer either.
Old 05-14-12, 08:08 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine does that too. What I don't like is that I have to use the Nav screen to shut off the Air Conditioner.
Old 05-14-12, 10:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

you don't, just press the fan switch until it's 'off', then everything is.
Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
Mine does that too. What I don't like is that I have to use the Nav screen to shut off the Air Conditioner.
Old 05-14-12, 11:16 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cruiter
you don't, just press the fan switch until it's 'off', then everything is.
I don't want the fan off. I just want the air conditioner off. You don't have to run the air conditioner to have the fan running.
Old 05-14-12, 11:47 AM
ejm3
Driver

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
I don't want the fan off. I just want the air conditioner off. You don't have to run the air conditioner to have the fan running.
Amen. I started a thread on this a couple weeks ago when I go tthe car.
Just give me a AC button!
Old 05-14-12, 12:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

it depends what temperature you have the car set to. If you turn on the AC and set it to a temperature like 80, and then turn off the AC and Fan, it still thinks you want 80. That is why when you star the car, it will go into fresh air mode so that air coming in will =80.
Old 05-14-12, 06:25 PM
ejm3
Driver

I have had the AC off since I got the car a couple weeks ago.
AC doesn't seem to matter; without it on its still sometime recirculates and other times it doesn't.
I suppose it could have something to do with the temp but I usually have it set @ 68 no AC and honestly it doesn't seem contingent on the outside temp but I could be wrong.
Old 05-14-12, 07:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yeah it is whatever you set the temperature to, even with AC and fan speed off, and how it compares with the temperature inside the cabin. If the two are spot on, then it will be on recirculate. If your AC temp is set higher or lower than the ambient temperature in the car, it will be on fresh air
Old 05-14-12, 08:45 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

This is what I love about Toyota, if you set the air mode to windshield, it blows cold air without the AC being switched to on. Very useful in summer.
Old 05-15-12, 05:03 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by happy1977
This is what I love about Toyota, if you set the air mode to windshield, it blows cold air without the AC being switched to on. Very useful in summer.

How does it blow cold air in the summer without the air conditioner on?
Old 05-15-12, 06:11 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most cars when you switch it to defrost mode will start the air conditioner compressor so that you get cool dry air blowing on the windshield. On my old GM's even in the winter at full heat it would cycle the compressor to dry out the air going to the windshield. Make for much more effective defrosting.

Quick Reply: Recirculate vs. Fresh Air